OT: Best GBV DVD? (that's a lot of abbrev.)

MIDIstruction

• Members

So my girlfriend was browsing through NetFlix the other day to see if there was anything on there'd I'd be interested in. I knew there were two Guided By Voices DVDs and I'd never seen either of them. It turned out there's like 6 or 7, and frankly I don't have that kind dedication, soo ..

I was wondering if the GBV fans around here could agree on the best ones, and I'll just get those ..

Thanks guys.

• Members

I have "Some Drinking Implied," which I watched about 5 minutes of then turned off for lack of interest. I should check it out again, but it didn't do much for me when I watched it. I would love to see a live show of theirs, preferably from a period of time where they were still with Tobin Sprout. The Pollard/Sprout combo was one of the best songwriting combinations in rock music.....

• Members

Get "Watch Me Jumpstart". Great documentary filmed by Banks Tarver (brother of Chavez' Clay Tarver). Lots of live footage of Sprout era GBV.

Then watch "The Who Went Home And Cried". A very druken show (Greg Demos last as bass player I believe).

Then try "Some Drinking Implied".

There is a book, "Hunting Accidents", that is pretty informative but extremely poorly written by Jim Greer, one-time GBV bass player and former Mr. Kim Deal.

Tobin Sprout and Bob Pollard wrote very very few songs together.

Their best songs by far were written separately.

I've seen GBV 23 times....never a dull show.

• Members

Originally posted by androodeetoo

I've seen GBV 23 times....never a dull show.

I............hate................you.................! (never got to see them) Did you know there is a GBV day in Los Angeles, marking the last show they played in town here? Look it up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Guided_By_Voices_Day_Los_Angeles.jpg

• Members

I remeber hearing about LA's GBV day....that was soooo cool...I'm a member of Postal Blowfish, so I STILL get these rambling daily accounts of all GBV-Bob news.

He's on Merge records now and he's touring again early next year. It won't be GBV, but it'll be as close as it gets. Don't miss it! His new solo material actually sounds more like early GBV (mostly 'cus he's playing all the guitar again).

BTW...The "Hardcore UFO's" box set comes with a copy of "Watch Me Jumpstart" plus over 4 cd's worth of music (a "greatest hits" disc, a live comp disc, b-sides, rarities, etc). Great starting point for folks looking.

Archived