best time to sell on eBay: pre- or -post Xmas?

Argali

• Members

I have a ton of crap that I want to sell right now. So far it's been slow-going on HC. I've had a lot of people back out on me at the last minute. I've decided to throw everything up on eBay to see what happens, as frankly, I've had better luck selling things there for high prices than I do here. But is it better to time my sales so they go down before Xmas, or is it better to wait until after, when hopefully people have extra cash to burn?

• Members

I tried to sell a mint Menatone King of the Britians 6 knob last week, opening bid was $175 (for a pedal that's $225 new) and I got 10 people watching it but auction ended with no bidders.

Also put up a MJM London Fuzz II with a start of $99 ($165 new) and also ended with no bidders.

The things I have sold have not gone for anything more than very average amounts of money (Keeley comp, Fuzz Head, and other stuff).

I waiting until Thanksgiving/December with the thought that people would be buying themselves holiday presents, but it's not working out very well. And it's not me because I am taking a loss on shipping and have 100% positive feedback. Maybe just bad luck?

• Members

I think it's bad right now - I'm selling stuff much lower than expected as well for the most part - that's high ticket and low ticket items. I think it'll be better in early February for high-ticket stuff (give time to let bank accounts refill after x-mas) but sell the low-ticket stuff right after Christmas when people have gotten cash as x-mas gifts to shop.

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

This is the absolute worst time to sell stuff.

dunno.. it all depends.. I do most of my ebay buying around this time of the year because of holidays..

It all depends on what you are selling.. a lot of people do Christmas shopping on ebay..

I definitely wont be putting my amp on ebay until feb though- simply because its not a Christmas gift..

• Members
Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

This is the absolute worst time to sell stuff.

That's odd. I just sold a few very nice guitars, pedals, board, etc.

I'm actually putting up more stuff (bass and pedals) next week at the latest. Maybe those PayPal/eBay coupons are making people buy now? :confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Argali

I have a ton of crap that I want to sell right now. So far it's been slow-going on HC. I've had a lot of people back out on me at the last minute. I've decided to throw everything up on eBay to see what happens, as frankly, I've had better luck selling things there for high prices than I do here. But is it better to time my sales so they go down before Xmas, or is it better to wait until after, when hopefully people have extra cash to burn?

People look for bargans after Christmas...and they are usually tapped out from buying presents.

Unless you want to sell your stuff for less than you want for it, I'd sell NOW or wait until February.

• Members

After Chirstmas is a great time to buy on eBay. Most Americans live way beyond their means and run up high credit card bills running up to Christmas, so they start to liquidate when the holiday euphora wears off. If the item skews real young, then you might have competition from teens with too much disposable Christmas money.

The best time to sell on Ebay is late-March and April when tax refund checks start rolling in.

It's hard to get items seen in the pre-Christmas rush, but you can get a lot of panic buyers.

-Y.

Archived