BYOC Delay problems

farfignewgon

• Members

I just put together the delay kit. I have to turn the blend knob almost 3/4 the way up to hear the delay and then it hisses. Also there doesn't seem to be that many repeats, even if the repeats knob is cranked.

My question is, if i had the op amp or the IC chip in backwards, wouldn't there be no sound at all?

Here's a pic of my circuit.

Thanks for your help.

100_1472.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by amanonfire

i would say check all your solder joints, the one under the electrolytic cap that has the 47 on the board looks a bit cold.

Yeah, that's my next step. I soldered all the electrolytic caps from the other side of the board. Maybe that one didn't get enough.

Thanks.

• Members

"I soldered all the electrolytic caps from the other side of the board" Uh, ALL of your connections should have been soldered from the other side of the board. BYOC boards DO have plated-through holes, but the main connection surface should be the UNDERSIDE of the PCB. You'll need to re-check all of your solder connections.

I also noticed no socket on the TL072. If I were you, I'd get another (they're cheap), and re-mount in a socket.

• Members

Originally posted by ProToneThinline

"I soldered all the electrolytic caps from the other side of the board" Uh, ALL of your connections should have been soldered from the other side of the board. BYOC boards DO have plated-through holes, but the main connection surface should be the UNDERSIDE of the PCB. You'll need to re-check all of your solder connections.

I also noticed no socket on the TL072. If I were you, I'd get another (they're cheap), and re-mount in a socket.

The BYOC directions said either side of the board was fine. I built my tremolo like that and it came out fine. I'll give it a shot.

• Members

The BYOC directions said either side of the board was fine. I built my tremolo like that and it came out fine. I'll give it a shot.

I didn't see that mentionedin their directions, but soldering to the top of the board is a BAD idea. You get an "iffy" connection at best. Hopefully you inserted the leads through to the other side of the board. Hit all the leads with some solder and I'll bet your problem goes away.

• Members

Originally posted by shepherdspy

I also wondered if it might be something with the pots. 2 were 100k and 1 was 50k right? I wonder if the wrong one got the 50k?

That's correct. The delay is the one that gets the 50k. That's one of the first things i thought of too.

I bet i just did a crappy soldering job. I'll clean it up tonight and see what happens.

• Members

Originally posted by grunge-rock

I resoldered everthing. Now there's no noise at all. However there still aren't that many repeats. If i hit a note there are only 6 repeats with the repeat knob up all the way. This isn't normal is it?

i dont know anything about this particular delay pedal you're building, but in general 6 repeats doesn't seem unreasonable.

• Members

I resoldered everthing. Now there's no noise at all. However there still aren't that many repeats. If i hit a note there are only 6 repeats with the repeat knob up all the way. This isn't normal is it?

Where do you have the delay set at. If the delay is maxed then six repeats may be o.k. I just tried mine that way and heard seven repeats. With the repeats dimed and delay set real low the thing should about self oscillate.

• Members

Originally posted by ThomasD

Where do you have the delay set at. If the delay is maxed then six repeats may be o.k. I just tried mine that way and heard seven repeats. With the repeats dimed and delay set real low the thing should about self oscillate.

I have the delay turned half way up.

• Members

I got an email from keith and he said "You've got one of your .0027uf caps mixed up with the .027uf" Looking at the picture i think he's right. Wow, that would be sad.

You need to swap the green cap next to pins 13 & 14 of the pt2399 with the green cap in the upper left corner.

• Members

Just for the record, one should solder on the bottom side of the board. When I said that it's ok to solder on the top, what I was really trying to imply is that if someone was using a BYOC circuit board and they were designing their own box layout and there was a large electrolyic or something like that that didn't quite fit right, that it was perfectly fine to put it on the bottom side of the board and solder on the top.

Soldering on the topside with components on the topside is fine. It's not going to increase the possibility of heat damage anymore than soldering on the bottom side. And in some cases, if it's easier for you to get at the pad from the top side than the bottom particularly for repairs/fixes/mods, then by all means, use the top side. The only problem with soldering topside is that you run the risk of burning the plastic coat on some of the electrolytic caps with the barrel of the iron and I think it's much more likely that you could accidentally get unwanted solder blob jumpers...especially with IC's.

But if soldering topside is less confusing for you, and you've had success with it thus far, then solder topside.

• Members

Yep, that was it. I switched those two caps and it works like a pro. I would like to thank Keith for his prompt, dead-on help in this matter. Not only is his product great, so is his customer service.

Also thanks to a few of you who also helped me out with this.

I haven't had much time to play with the delay, but what i've heard sounds fantastic.

Here it is:

board.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by shepherdspy

Yay! I'm glad that is all it was. Glad that it is fixed!

I'm sorry I didn't catch that. All those green chicklets are tough to tell apart.

It sounds awesome doesn't it?

Yeah, it sounds great. I can't believe they're so cheap. I might have to get another one with the effects loop in it.

Next on my BYOC to buy list is the fully loaded phaser to replace my phase 90.

Archived