Stolen Matchless Update!

guitarchris

• Members

So some of you might remember that one of my Matchless amps was stolen back in July. Well, my insurance came through in the clutch and is buying me a new one!! I ordered it last week so in 6 to 8 weeks I will be back to my nasty dual Matchless deedsicon_headbang.gif

Thank you to all the forumites who cared enough to contact me offering help and advice concerning locating the stolen amp and with my many insurance questions.

Also, if any of you guys have family in the military and can get USAA insurance, do it. They were very helpful and fairly quick, concidering the natural disaster work they have had to deal with. Based on my experience so far I highly recomend them.

Even though my stolen one was burgandy I ordered a black one to match the one I still have.

What a good end to a really bad situation.

SC-30black.jpg

• Members

I recently had my amp stolen when I lent it to a friend for a gig because his amp was not working.

It is an absolute bitch having {censored} like that happen. Luckily he has done the right thing and I have been compensated for it and only really been put out by not having an amp for a while but it still sucks.

I would tell everyone that it is extremely important to have you musical equipment insured especially when you have thousands of dollars worth and you gig with it.

It is good to hear that your situation has worked

:thu:

• Members

sweet! so you use two SC-30's?

well I used to. Since the the other one got stolen I have been using a Pro Junior in place of the SC-30 and it sure is easier on my back. I have road cases for the matchless but you can only roll a case so many places. Honestly I might stick with the Pro Jr. and leave the other amp at home. I use the PJ as my second amp in stereo out of the DL4. It really sounds so good with stereo delays and when I have the Stereo Clone chorus going.

When I was using two SC-30's it was AWSOME. I ran the first one on the first chan, clean and the other amp was set on the other chan just a little before break up. With just an OD or distortion it sounded great because they reacted so differently that it gave depth to everything. Since I handle 65% of the guitar duties in the band this helped make us sound BIGGER!

I can't beleive you are selling yours!!!! but you still have a Bad cat (right?) so I forgive you. Also i want to know how you set your amp, EQ and drive wise.

• Members

Originally posted by tigger_ferret

I recently had my amp stolen when I lent it to a friend for a gig because his amp was not working.

It is an absolute bitch having {censored} like that happen. Luckily he has done the right thing and I have been compensated for it and only really been put out by not having an amp for a while but it still sucks.

I would tell everyone that it is extremely important to have you musical equipment insured especially when you have thousands of dollars worth and you gig with it.

It is good to hear that your situation has worked

:thu:

It helps to have insurance....It still burns when you loose stuff to some lowlife! I worked my ass of to afford my amps and can't/won't be able afford to replace them. I bought a house and got married since I bought my amps so my spare money( if any) doesn't go towards stuff like that. I have to sell other equipment if I want something different.

I'm glad your friend did the right thing!!!

• Members

nope, I don't have the Bad Cat Black Cat anymore either. I've just used Matchless/Bad Cat for the last few years and want to try something different.....probably a Mojave Sidewinder 2x12 combo with a G12H and a Blue. That amp seems really cool. It has a power dampening knob that takes it from 30w to 2w!

I use all kinds of settings on the Matchless, depending on where I am and what I'm doing. At home, I pretty much use the 1st channel and at our gigs, I normally use the 2nd channel. I kick on the Foxrox Zim for distortion and it sounds great.

The only thing about the SC-30 I don't like as much is the 1x12 speaker. I've always prefered 2x12's for some reason. They just have a more open, 3D sound to me. The SC-30 is more focused though and sits very well in the live mix.

• Members

Originally posted by agentcooper2001

nope, I don't have the Bad Cat Black Cat anymore either. I've just used Matchless/Bad Cat for the last few years and want to try something different.....probably a Mojave Sidewinder 2x12 combo with a G12H and a Blue. That amp seems really cool. It has a power dampening knob that takes it from 30w to 2w!

I use all kinds of settings on the Matchless, depending on where I am and what I'm doing. At home, I pretty much use the 1st channel and at our gigs, I normally use the 2nd channel. I kick on the Foxrox Zim for distortion and it sounds great.

The only thing about the SC-30 I don't like as much is the 1x12 speaker. I've always prefered 2x12's for some reason. They just have a more open, 3D sound to me. The SC-30 is more focused though and sits very well in the live mix.

That Mojave sounds SWEET! let me know how it compares. I am just hooked on the Matchless tone.

I was contemplating getting a a Clubman instead of the SC-30 but they don't make it in a combo :confused: and they don't sell empty cabs, so that was out of the question.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarchris

It helps to have insurance....It still burns when you loose stuff to some lowlife! I worked my ass of to afford my amps and can't/won't be able afford to replace them. I bought a house and got married since I bought my amps so my spare money( if any) doesn't go towards stuff like that. I have to sell other equipment if I want something different.

I'm glad your friend did the right thing!!!

Yeah I am in the same situation, no way could I afford to go out and completely replace my gear if it got stolen, it has taken me 10 years to build up to getting what I have now, that is why I say insure your stuff.

It really does suck getting you gear stolen.

• Members

Originally posted by agentcooper2001

Guitarchris - glad to hear man. That is a deliciously beautiful amp! :eek:

You and AC need to try out the Orange Rocker 30 if it ever becomes possible - like one swings by locally. I'm telling you I am seriously contemplating taking it out with my Hot Cat 30. Hellish tones and right in the Bad Cat/Matchless tone camp - but with it's own sweet as hell voice. Drool...Drool... :cool:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The Matchless came in........................Damn this thing sounds great. I rarely adjust anything on the one I play out with...it lives in a road case and only comes out to play at shows. So I spent some time straight into the amp with no pedals and just acted like I had never played one before.....I tried dif settings and stuff like I did many moons ago...My wife wasn't home and it was the middle of the day so I cranked the thing w/o the master on and damn that's sweet. If I didn't need so many pedals and enjoy them so much I might play like that all the time (maybe with a power soak or the master on, but with it pretty much wide open to get that drive).

I think I fell in love again, with the same ol' girl!!!!! What a great amp!

I still want the guy to rott in jail or be DE-BALLED so he can't have any sticky fingered {censored} gobblers! But I feel so much better about the whole thing now that I am compensated.

Thanks to all of you who were right there, supportive as hell and true friends! I really needed some of your advice to keep a level head and do the right thing.....somtimes non-musicians don't truly understand the depth of something like this!

AND if any of you see a burgandy SC-30 like that, copy down the serial# for me....I still want that amp back, for history's sake.

newmatchless.jpg

• Members

Oh and this is only my second BRAND NEW amp EVER!!! The other was my first tube amp, a Tube Works...single 10" and single 12AX7 preamp tube. Everything since then has been used until now. This new amp is so bright and clean looking that I feel so wrong playing so dirty with iticon_headbang.gif

• Members

you do realize that you no longer OWN that burgudy SC-30

Being as the insurance compnay replaced it with a new one.

THEY now own it and if it is ever found,.. they will come and take it,

it will then be sold at auction so they can recoop some of the money they lost replaceing yours. you may purchase it then if you have the highest bid. or sometimes, I understand, they will give "first refusal" to the original owner.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

so you bought a used amp and they paid for a new one? how does that work? that's kinda cool although I didn't think insurance companies worked like that... plus damn you got the claim turned around fast!! That's some special insurance company.

They researched it and that was the repacemnt value they deemed. The amp it was repacing was in neat mint condition and was a peice of history (search for the original stolen matchless thread or PM me). I paid $2400 used for it (with road case)....the new one cost just under $3000 and I had to pay a $500 deductable. So the way I figure I am in the same monetary situation as if I had had bought a new one (2400+ 500). I didn't think the turn around was that great, The amp was stolen on July 30th 2005. USAA is a special insurance company. They took my claim info quickly, got the ball rolling and DID NOT BITCH and try to refuse the claim like I know many companies would do. As I said before if you have anyone in your family that is in the Military try to get USAA, very cool to work with.

Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

you do realize that you no longer OWN that burgudy SC-30

Being as the insurance compnay replaced it with a new one.

THEY now own it and if it is ever found,.. they will come and take it,

it will then be sold at auction so they can recoop some of the money they lost replaceing yours. you may purchase it then if you have the highest bid. or sometimes, I understand, they will give "first refusal" to the original owner.

Yeah, I realize that. I'm willing to buy it....It was a special amp. It's got stories that go along with it that I would love to share with my children and then grandchildren as I'm handing the amp down to them.

Sad thing is I doubt it shows up and the history of the amp will die and it will become just another sweet sounding amp.

Archived