OK, so I'm gonna go with an OD

incubass

• Members

I posted a thread earlier this week wondering whether to go with a tube change, an attenuator or a pedal to give some grit and breakup to my SF vibrolux. I think I'm gonna go with the pedal option. So what should I use? For sound references, I'm thinking of sortof the sound in The Shins' "kissing the lipless" where the electric comes in with those stabs that ring out towards the beginning and also a sortof walkmen-esque sound from their first album...cheaper the better.:thu:

edit:oh and I'm using a 72 thinline tele...

• Members

I use a DS-1 with plexi instead of a hotplate. I crank the amp and use the level on the pedal as a master volume. I owned a hotplate and a power soak in the past. This works just as good and is MUCH cheaper.:) This is basically what they did in the 70s..

• Members
Originally posted by omni

I use a DS-1 with plexi instead of a hotplate. I crank the amp and use the level on the pedal as a master volume. I owned a hotplate and a power soak in the past. This works just as good and is MUCH cheaper.
:)
This is basically what they did in the 70s..

Have you ever accidentally turned off your pedal and had your ears blasted out?

If I did that I would put the pedal on top of the amp where I had no chance of hitting the footswitch.

• Members
Originally posted by scottiejohnson

Have you ever accidentally turned off your pedal and had your ears blasted out?

If I did that I would put the pedal on top of the amp where I had no chance of hitting the footswitch.

That's where it stays.:D

• Members

There's a good reason the TS9 has been around for ages and cloned by almost everyone. It's a solid pedal, especially the modified ones. I have a Keeley TS9dlx, and I really love it. It's not a pedal that's going to absolutely blow your mind or anything, but it's just so incredibly useful that you'll wonder how you ever got on without one, especially if you already have a nice tube amp.

The Tubescreamer is really just like adding another gain stage to your amp. Really transparent. I mean, it's not going to make your Vibrolux sound like a Marshall stack or anything, but it will give it the sound of a very natural breakup.

Good luck with it and let us know what you think.

Archived