Slightly OT- P90 opinions and new guitar advice

riffpowers

• Members

Hi guys

After some long hard thinking I've decided to sell my lp custom that I've owned for 16 years.With a heavy heart I've realized its just not doing it for me anymore.Its just too heavy unwieldy and I find the tone far too trebly and bright.In the words of my guitar tech "it just don't sound right".I've had issues with it for some time now, and TBH since I got my LP standard which I think is a much nicer guitar.Whereas the custom is trebly(thin??harsh??) and bright and even feeds back, the standard is a much nicer player and has a much warmer more organic sound and is much more responsive.I never realized how much I didn't like the custom (although I always seemed to be searching for a 2nd guitar as it was never right for me) till I got the standard.

Seeing as I really like the standard but would like to try something different, I wondered about p90 guitars.

I would like a 335 but the feedback at volume is an issue for me, and I've always been a les paul guy.I play bluesy heavy stoner rock (think free/zep mixed with sabbath/qotsa) , I like a FAT sound, nice full bass, and I certainly don't want a harsh overly bright pickup that is noisy, its all about fat dark power tube overdrive for me, rather than high gain upper mid crunch.

So, would a P90 guitar or one of the p90 variants be a good choice for me???

• Members

i'm having the same troubles with my pearl les paul copy.. it sounds way too treble.. i tried 3 different pickups... dimarzio pickup unknown, seymour duncan '59 (crap imo)- JB (good but still too bright, treble).. i tried but it doesn't sound good.. the guitar plays like a dream.. i tried different pre-amp tubes (jj's).. it helped a bit.. but still not good... i recieved my framus sg copy this week and it has a p-90 in the neck and a single coil in the bridge.. and all the issues i had with too bright and treble are gone... ofcourse it doesn't have the "oomph" of a humbucker but i can live with it...

• Members

Originally posted by Nico de Roode

You sold the guitar because you don't like the pickups?

I haven't sold it yet.

Its a combination of things, it hasn't been doing it for me for some years, but the harsh and trebly tone is down to the construction as well as the pickups, I don't think a pickup change is the answer unfortunatley.Might be fine for someone else, but I'm really sick of the bright spaniness and the heavy feel to the body, unlike the standard I have.

• Members

Originally posted by fiveway switch

i know you dont wanna try pick ups but .

pete bintof of vintage vibe guitars does really awsome p-90's in sc and humbucker shapes . if you talk to him ill bet he can get you the tones you want .

+1:thu:

i have Vintage Vibe Hum-sized P-90's in both my les paul's now..and i've never been this happy with my tone. It may lack some of the power of a humbucker, but what you lose there, you make up for in spank, a wider/fuller tone and clarity.

Oh, and it's Pete Biltoft and he can be reached here cynpete1@earthlink.net

• Members

Originally posted by Stoney Stomp

+1:thu:

i have Vintage Vibe Hum-sized P-90's in both my les paul's now..and i've never been this happy with my tone. It may lack some of the power of a humbucker, but what you lose there, you make up for in spank, a wider/fuller tone and clarity.

Oh, and it's Pete Biltoft and he can be reached here

+1 on the Vintage Vibe P90 hum sized.

I put one in the bridge position of my Les Paul. It is awesome. And surprisingly quiet for a single coil!

taco

• Members

Somehow, I don't see how going from a humbucker to a P90 is going to fix your treble issues. And considering that we're talking about a Les Paul here, I'd say that it's the pickups that are giving you the grief - how many guitars out there are less trebly than an LP? Explorers? RDs? Jazzboxes? Even if the thing was solid maple throughout, I don't see how it could be that trebly with all of that wood there.

There's also this feature on many guitars called a 'tone control'. It rolls off - you guessed it! - treble. I believe your guitar has two.

Sorry to be sarcastic, but all in all I think you held onto that guitar for 16 years for a reason. That, and people who bitch about bright/trebly guitars that never think to use their tone knob kinda piss me off.

That said, even if the guitar is a naturally trebly beast, you could still find pickups that will get rid of it - Invaders? Don't laugh, there's a guy in the user reviews section who uses one in the neck position for - get this! - jazz :). He removed the stock capacitor on the pickup, though, and he keeps it adjusted low in the guitar to take the edge off of the output.

If the output worries you, I direct you to another misunderstood feature of the electric guitar, the 'volume knob'.

I believe your guitar has two of these, too. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by mabus013

Somehow, I don't see how going from a humbucker to a P90 is going to fix your treble issues. And considering that we're talking about a Les Paul here, I'd say that it's the pickups that are giving you the grief - how many guitars out there are less trebly than an LP? Explorers? RDs? Jazzboxes? Even if the thing was solid maple throughout, I don't see how it could be that trebly with all of that wood there.

There's also this feature on many guitars called a 'tone control'. It rolls off - you guessed it! - treble. I believe your guitar has two.

Sorry to be sarcastic, but all in all I think you held onto that guitar for 16 years for a reason. That, and people who bitch about bright/trebly guitars that never think to use their tone knob kinda piss me off.

That said, even if the guitar is a naturally trebly beast, you could still find pickups that will get rid of it - Invaders? Don't laugh, there's a guy in the user reviews section who uses one in the neck position for - get this! - jazz
:)
. He removed the stock capacitor on the pickup, though, and he keeps it adjusted low in the guitar to take the edge off of the output.

If the output worries you, I direct you to another misunderstood feature of the electric guitar, the 'volume knob'.

I believe your guitar has two of these, too.
:thu:

Believe it or not, after 21 years of playing and 16 years of playing this guitar, I have already discovered the volume and tone knobs. ;) ;)

The guitar is generally very trebly , unplugged or plugged.Especially compared to my standard which is marmer and more responsive and sounds much better to me.

I doubt a pickup change is gonna cure it.

And as I said earlier, the reason I've hung onto it for so long is sentimental. Once I got another les paul its shortcomings and differences became really obvious.

Other people might like it, its just not for me anymore.

Archived