the price of a good fender rhodes...

vanguard

• Members

The operative word here is "good." The Rhodes is an electro-mechanical instrument that requires a good deal of maintenance. A lot of so-called bargains can be had for instruments that have fallen into disrepair. So if you got a good deal to begin with, you may end up spending another $500+ getting it up to snuff. Unless you were planning on doing the work yourself, it's probably better to pay a reasonable sum for an instrument you're going to be happy with.

• Members

Originally posted by Non-Digital Tom

The operative word here is "good." The Rhodes is an electro-mechanical instrument that requires a good deal of maintenance. A lot of so-called bargains can be had for instruments that have fallen into disrepair. So if you got a good deal to begin with, you may end up spending another $500+ getting it up to snuff. Unless you were planning on doing the work yourself, it's probably better to pay a reasonable sum for an instrument you're going to be happy with.

Exactly what he said. I did some basic maintenance on my $50 rhodes, and it plays, but not well. The action is stiff and there are a couple of notes that don't sustain (I think I can fix that, though). I'm considering having a tech look at it, but I know I'll be paying some decent ducats for that....

• Members

I got a Mark I last year for my son for $600. Off Ebay, including shipping, in great shape, from a studio in upstate New York.

Very cool guy, excellent deal.

He said it had been used by the Neville Brothers, among others.

It is one of the heaviest and most awkward pieces of gear to move. ;)

Sounds great. :D

Archived