Lennon

pinkjimiphoton

• Members

thanks to Uncle Dig for reminding me of one of the greatest rock protest songs of all time...

change a few words, it's still relevant.

PEACE.

Give Me Some Truth

John Lennon

I'm sick and tired of hearing things

From uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded

hypocritics

All I want is the truth

Just gimme some truth

I've had enough of reading things

By neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians

All I want is the truth

Just gimme some truth

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky

Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me

With just a pocketful of hope

Money for dope

Money for rope

With just a pocketful of soap

Money for dope

Money for rope

I'm sick to death of seeing things

From tight-lipped, condescending, mama's little

chauvinists

All I want is the truth

Just gimme some truth now

I've had enough of watching scenes

Of schizophrenic, ego-centric, paranoiac,

prima-donnas

All I want is the truth now

Just gimme some truth

With just a pocketful of soap

It's money for dope

Money for rope

Ah, I'm sick and tired of hearing things

from uptight, short-sighted, narrow-minded

hypocrites

I've had enough of reading things

by neurotic, psychotic, pig-headed politicians

All I want is the truth

Just gimme some truth

All I want is the truth

Just gimme some truth

• Members

The thing I like about lennon is that he himself continued to grow and change- giving some of this self-righteousness an air of irony, I mean he was a womanizer, cheated on cynthia and Yoko, was a {censored}ty father, had problems with anger and alcohol, and never came to terms with his own family situation until much later-(all of his own admission by the way) which makes his death all the more tragic- that's why I love "Watching the Wheels" so much (especially the acoustic version) where he seems to have arrived at a point of peace finally- But in many ways he himself was a great hypocrite- he just was able to chalk it up to being human and move on.

• Members

Originally posted by BryanMichael

The thing I like about lennon is that he himself continued to grow and change- giving some of this self-righteousness an air of irony, I mean he was a womanizer, cheated on cynthia and Yoko, was a {censored}ty father, had problems with anger and alcohol, and never came to terms with his own family situation until much later-(all of his own admission by the way) which makes his death all the more tragic- that's why I love "Watching the Wheels" so much (especially the acoustic version) where he seems to have arrived at a point of peace finally- But in many ways he himself was a great hypocrite- he just was able to chalk it up to being human and move on.

So true.

Sad thing was he got taken out JUST when he appeared to be growing up!

:(

• Members

Yes, and how people can still idolize Lennon is beyond me - you know, worship all that crap that's nothing to do with his merits as an artist (Lennon, the saint). He's an interesting character nevertheless - although perhaps not quite as intriguing as he himself believes. Having said that, I too was fascinated by Lennon in my early teens. Fortunately, I later migrated to Lou Reed. Now there's a worthy moral hero...:rolleyes:

• Members

This is true, but there are so many phonies in the spotlight that his ability to admit the inherent hypocrisy in his life was endearing.

I threw those very lyrics at someone in an argument. I was using it to prove a point about liberal politics and media slant and was attacked for it like it was sacriligeous. I love lennon's stuff, but he was just a man. The fact that he could admit it is what made him so likeable.

• Members

Yeah-

I miss him.

Honestly, I think Bono has some of this. People tend to say "Bono thinks he is God!" but if you read the interviews and watch him with people, I think he knows he is a pop star that has a privilged position- which is part of what drives him....If you eve see the film "Imagine" when John gets that guy off of his lawn and gives him breakfast- it's so much what we're talking about- John's like "I'm not talking to you in my songs!!! I'm just expressing this or that....etc..."

Paul was the ultimate craftsman- the form was the art.

John was the artist-the form was just the medium.

George was the transcendent: the form was the way.

Ringo was: I am that I am. (with a little help from my friends)

You can quote me on that...

:D

• Members

Originally posted by wembleyisgreen

why bring up lennon he wouldn't have agreed with your politics pinky.

LOL...whassamatter, i ain't liberal enough for ya??

GET TO KNOW ME!!!!

LMAO.

most of my politics are BUILT on the ideals John put forth dude..

i highly doubt we'd have disagreed on much....

i too miss the man.

less for his politics than his music, tho his political beliefs coloured my viewpoints pretty heavily when i was young..

his murder was a {censored}in tragedy for sure, but i don't think he was godlike any more than bono or bob geldof or any number of others.

his legacy?

he learned from his mistakes, and moved on

he believed in peace

and he wrote some of the best rocknroll songs of all time.

and that 's good enough for me bro.

peace

• Members

Originally posted by wembleyisgreen

why bring up lennon he wouldn't have agreed with your politics pinky.

That's the problem with people, they think politics is more important than people. Today's brand of liberalism is about as far from Lennon's ideas as you can get. My impression is that Lennon would have been pretty displeased with the kind of crap that went down at the RNC in NYC. If you wanna change people's minds you have to respect them first. Democrats don't work that way anymore...

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

That's the problem with people, they think politics is more important than people. Today's brand of liberalism is about as far from Lennon's ideas as you can get. My impression is that Lennon would have been pretty displeased with the kind of crap that went down at the RNC in NYC. If you wanna change people's minds you have to respect them first. Democrats don't work that way anymore...

i can kinda get behind ya on that...the liberalism, at least as portrayed by the fascist right wing destroying the country today is far more militant than in john's time...and dems are no better or worse than republicans...they BOTH suck ass.

the biggest prob with politics these days are labels and partisanship....neither of which actually have anything to do with reality, they are just more tools used to alienate folks from each other.

but dems don't respect that anymore?

lol....you sure man?

seems to me there's plenty of disrespect flowing each way by a bunch of nauseating scumbags that piss on the constitution as they race to fill their wallets.

as long as folks side on issues by purely partisan politics, nothing will ever get accomplished that's worthwhile.

i'm a {censored}in bleedin heart liberal, but i ain't a tree hugger.

i'm a registered democrat that voted for perot over clintoon or bush, and votes for republicans often iof they are the best folks for the job...

i don't give a {censored} about them representing their parties, as long as they represent me/we the people/ their constituents.

John seemed to exploit whatever he could if it got him the desired end result.

and for SURE he would be all over the modern day republican (whig) party for it's blatant violations and crimes against humanity.

remember, he was a big Nixon fan (not)....;)

Archived