Digitech RPxxx Pedal fix HERE

MadSkillzMan

• Members

HI guys

I have a digitech rp200, my brother has the bass version

I was searching the forums cause im getting some piss poor sounds out of it, and just curious to see what others are using

I see a few people complaining about the pedals breaking after a year making it useless

So i figured id post this, since mine did the same, and so did my bros..and a few other people

Remove the back plate. On some models, (like my brothers ) the screws came pre-stripped. How nice! In this case, bust out the dremel and make a straight cut in the head so you can twist it off w. a screwdriver

Yank off your 3 knobs

Remove the backplate, and then remove the circuitboard. You might even have to dremel those screws! (thats scary)

Pull out the circuit board, and make sure the expression pedal tape doesnt get ripped off or anything

Take a thumbtack, and stick it in the rubber of the bottom of the pedal. Try and center it.

Put everything back together and enjoy. Ive done this on 6 models so far, all been working fine. An RP50, RP80, RP100, RP200's

Hope this helps SOMEONE! People always give me their busted gear and i end up fixing it lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by MadSkillzMan

welll from my experiences, this pedal problem happens to all of em so..theres the remedy

ive never had the power supply short out yet..guess thats another one

I take it your kinda like me. You take things a part aand enjoy fixing them.

I am not as good but I still like too tinker.

On a funny side 20 years from now people will want the old digitech stuff for that "vintage digital sound" lol

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Yea, just pull it apart. I have one of those too and never really had any problems with the pedals. the adaptor on the other hand....

but the buttons will be one or 2 peices, along with a clear LED strip thingy. Just make sure this goes back together right.

hope it helps. My 2nd half of it just died the other day ON STAGE and i put a tack in it and all was well.

• Members

for the RP 80 itself no..i barely use it, my 200 is my main....if you can use the Stacked amp, and set the gain to about 65 and run it through a tube amp youll have a great sound

i dont think theres any mods as the thing is full digital...maybe true bypass, boy would that be nice

The thing really shines on a tube amp. On SS amps i cant stand to even look at the thing.

• Members

for the RP 80 itself no..i barely use it, my 200 is my main....if you can use the Stacked amp, and set the gain to about 65 and run it through a tube amp youll have a great sound

i dont think theres any mods as the thing is full digital...maybe true bypass, boy would that be nice

The thing really shines on a tube amp. On SS amps i cant stand to even look at the thing.

Oh well, I'm planning on getting a Zoom G9.2tt sometime in the near future.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

should be right on the back of the pedal. there should be a peg of sorts..if its not rubber, it may be just a plstic pin

i know for a fact this also works on the RP-7 with the 12ax7 tube in it..that one didnt have rubber, i just used double sided tape and broke the pin off a thumbtack

essentially what happens is the switch on the PCB wears off..if your really good with soldering i guess you could install a new one

• Members

On my RP80, I looked at it and there was nothing I could find that was anything like you described. I just tightened up the screw in the pedal, and it worked like a champ again (or as good as it ever was;) ).

Actually now I'm saving up for one of the big new Zoom units, the G9.2tt.

zoom_g9.2tt.jpg

The G series Zoom pedals far surpass the RP models, IMO. I'd like to try the new RP's though, the 150, 250, and 350.

• Members

This is funny this came back up. I was messing around with a Digitech RP 200 tonight, and my friend said he couldn't get any of the sounds out of it he wanted.

After 30 minutes, I had tinkered with it enough that he was one happy ole country boy.

Got exactly what he wanted. Its just they can be difficult for the average guy to figure ut. You have to READ and I mean READ the manual and tinker.

Most people want instant results and dismiss alot of cool gear because they didn't read the manual and work with it enough.

• Members

HI guys

I have a digitech rp200, my brother has the bass version

I was searching the forums cause im getting some piss poor sounds out of it, and just curious to see what others are using

I see a few people complaining about the pedals breaking after a year making it useless

So i figured id post this, since mine did the same, and so did my bros..and a few other people

Remove the back plate. On some models, (like my brothers ) the screws came pre-stripped. How nice! In this case, bust out the dremel and make a straight cut in the head so you can twist it off w. a screwdriver

Yank off your 3 knobs

Remove the backplate, and then remove the circuitboard. You might even have to dremel those screws! (thats scary)

Pull out the circuit board, and make sure the expression pedal tape doesnt get ripped off or anything

Take a thumbtack, and stick it in the rubber of the bottom of the pedal. Try and center it.

Put everything back together and enjoy. Ive done this on 6 models so far, all been working fine. An RP50, RP80, RP100, RP200's

Hope this helps SOMEONE! People always give me their busted gear and i end up fixing it lol.

i did this on my distortion pedal and now the footswitch works again.

thanks for the advise :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by TitusAndronicus

i have had an RP80 for about a year without problems. (i did have to tighten the expression pedal once) i'm mostly retiring it, but i'll keep this in mind just in case.

Have any good patches you'd like to share? I was playing with it and accidently did the system reset thing (I was trying to turn on the cabinet modeling).

• Members

yea im surprised no one shares patches on here. Its not that its a great pedal, its just that so many people got em

ive found though the distortions next to worthless. On a tube amp, it sounds pretty doarn good actually, but SS no..

If there was a way to make it not so noisy id see ALOT more potential

• Members

i wonder how much better they sound

my other complaint with them is the noise they make. Im wondering if thats just because of the cheap in/out jacks..i was thinking of desoldering it and adding a TB switch.

Dont get me wrong, its not a bad pedal, but for your distortions and main multifx, i wouldnt do it. I would however set it up to a single effect and just stomp it on/off when needed

• 14 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

I have an RP200 that just recently, for no real apparent reason, when powered on the display reads "RP200A VER 1.0" completely normal then it will briefly display the name of the first preset then just automatically just display different stuff as if one of the foot pedals were stuck. However, I've cleaned the electronics with electronics cleaner and it will sometimes display different setting values for different effects within whatever preset like EQ settings or reverb or delay. If the display does happen to stop going through presets automatically and allows me to select a preset, it then doesn't allow me to edit or change anything and will also not produce any sound. Anyone else had this or a problem similar and know of any possible fixes? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I was using it through a Crate GFX-212 amp and was actually pleasantly surprised with the sound I was able to get out of it. The Crate amp has an ok sound on it's own but is a bit to noisy without a noise gate and the built in effects from the on board DSP hasn't worked since I got it from a buddy of mine. But that's a whole other fix I haven't been able to find much about online.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.