Jump to content

Fulltone FullDrive2 vs 808 Tube Screamer


Brents350z

Recommended Posts

  • Members

One day... I'll have a Bogner Uberschell head and a Ecstasy Head stacked on top of two 2/12 Bogner cabs (income tax refund and a small loan?)...

 

But, in the mean time, I've got a Fender EvilTwin. I've been running it with a Line 6 POD 2.0 going into the power amp thru from the Line 6 headphone jack. I used to be happy with this until several weeks ago when I {censored}ed around and plug my Les Paul into the distortion channel of my Fender (without the POD). The thick, crisp distorted punch I got from it caught my attention. It punched through in a way that my POD didn't. Also, I have been playing my Strat mostly the last couple years and hadn't noticed how thin my sound had got. And after spending some time on the Bogner Web Site (and Bob Savage's Web Site), I'm just totally all to hell over my sound now. So, I'm needing something to get me by until I can get the real thing.

 

OK, I've been through the Line 6 stuff and I'm kinda pissed at them right now. However... They did have a Uberschell model that might be OK for the time being. Problem is, the XT Live is $400.00 and you got to spend another hundred dollers to download the "good" models. Personally, I'd rather put that 500 toward the real thing, you know? So, they've got a "Uber" pedal that seems to have a Uberschall/Mesa thing going. For $99.99, I think it'll do for Modern/Nu rock and Metal (I hope).

 

So, my next question is: since I'll be going thru my preamp now, and It'll be set clean, I'm going to need a crunch/ 70's rock sound. I'm interested in the Fulltone FullDrive2 or the re-issue 808 Tube Screamer. Does anybody know anything about these? I wouldn't have much of a chance to try either of these out in my area, especially the Fulltone.

 

Oh, btw, I was thinking I could set both channels on my EvilTwin clean with one at a higher Vol and a little different EQ for solo's. Then I would choose a pedal that suited the song I was playing and channel switch the Fender.

 

Brent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I'm one of those weirdos that likes the comp cut "off" (normal pot-down position). Unfortunately, the gain channel does not provide any boost in that mode, so it's pretty much useless for me. It gets more distorted (almost like a Rat 2/3 of the way up), but no louder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by Spydog1985




The FD2 is not great at anything. but it's ok at everything....i'll explain.



welp, there you go. Let me know if you have any more Q's...


-j

 

 

Don't you just LOVE the internet, you think you got an expert talking, then you follow the link to "myspace" and find out J's fresh out of his diapers. (laughter)

Been playing, what, 2 years or so lil' buddy?

 

Edward

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Eddie Feder



Don't you just LOVE the internet, you think you got an expert talking, then you follow the link to "myspace" and find out J's fresh out of his diapers. (laughter)

Been playing, what, 2 years or so lil' buddy?


Edward

 

yep! glad to hear you found my myspace:)

 

and i am just 20, which, Sir, is strangely only TWO years younger than you???:confused:

 

I'm quite flattered you consider me an expert. I have spent alot of time learning...and i'm even more proud that the only thing you have against me is that I still have potential to be something in this world...Sorry i need to lose my hair before you respect me...:o

 

 

i've been playing my whole lyfe, bud. I'm not some random emo kid. I know my stuff and i do this for a living. :thu:

 

 

-john:wave:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Hands down, the fulldrive kills the 808 reissue. You will love your strat again, too, because the FDII can be set to thicken up the single coils and give them bite, to boot.

 

The 808, in my opinion, was more bass sucking, thin, nasally typical TS fare. If that's what the original sounded like I don't see all the fuss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Spydog1985



yep! glad to hear you found my myspace:)


and i am just 20, which, Sir, is strangely only TWO years younger than you???
:confused:

I'm quite flattered you consider me an expert. I have spent alot of time learning...and i'm even more proud that the only thing you have against me is that I still have potential to be something in this world...Sorry i need to lose my hair before you respect me...
:o


i've been playing my whole lyfe, bud. I'm not some random emo kid. I know my stuff and i do this for a living.
:thu:


-john:wave:

Hey John! The Sirens Tonight is VERY beautiful! Is that you on guitar/vocals? What about the other instruments?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by RockNote


Hey John! The Sirens Tonight is VERY beautiful! Is that you on guitar/vocals? What about the other instruments?

 

 

 

hi!

 

 

thank you! i'm glad to hear you like it. It's far from how i want it, bc it recorded in my bedroom, but yes, it's me on everything. I play gutiar, bass, vox, drums, synth, and i mixed/engeneered/produced it. Not the best jobs on some, but i tried :)

 

 

-john

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by Spydog1985




I have both a FD2 and a Keeley 808...




The FD2 is not great at anything. but it's ok at everything....i'll explain.


The FD2 is not the best low gain OD like what an xotic RC or a Timmy is. they can't be left on all the tyme bc they cut your whole freaking low end off. admitedly, it's smooth, so if it wasn't for the low end, it'd be good. but it's not. As for the boost, it's TOO smooth for a boost and doesn't cut through the mix well enough. SO the two things it does it does alright, but not great at either. IT's worthless to gearsnobs...


Now,


The 808 is GREAT at ONE thing, but bad at everything else...again, i'll explain...

To begin, there's no way in hell your leaving that thing on 24/7 as a low gain OD. It has ZERO low end and it's mid humped more than the FD2. BUT, as a boost/lead OD/"6th gear for the amp" it's one the best you can find. The 808 is made to do that, and it does that one thing very very well...




So pick whichever you will. The FD2 is alright at alot of stuff. so alot of people go that way. As for those who seek only the best tone, the 808 is the way to go if used correctly.


welp, there you go. Let me know if you have any more Q's...


-j

 

 

 

Thanks J. If I understand what you're saying, I should use a Tube Screamer only as a boost for a solo. I'm thinking about getting the Line 6 "Uber" pedal first and see if I can get by with just it. It may turn out that I can back it off some get a kinda 70ish Marshall sound. If not then I could use the distortion channel on my Fender and then step on a TS for a lead (like you say) for a 70's sound.

 

Brent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Zooey

I'm one of those weirdos that likes the comp cut "off" (normal pot-down position). Unfortunately, the gain channel does not provide any boost in that mode, so it's pretty much useless for me. It gets more distorted (almost like a Rat 2/3 of the way up), but no louder.

 

WElcome to the club, I don't use comp cut either. I use the boost in situations where I need slightly higher gain than a typical tubescreamer, but not fully saturated distortion.

 

I also find that the FD sounds a little bit dull at low volumes, but really comes to life when you use it at "gigging volumes". :wave: Hi Rev

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Spydog1985





hi!



thank you! i'm glad to hear you like it. It's far from how i want it, bc it recorded in my bedroom, but yes, it's me on everything. I play gutiar, bass, vox, drums, synth, and i mixed/engeneered/produced it. Not the best jobs on some, but i tried
:)


-john

I find myself hearing The Sirens Tonight in my head - you know that haunting feeling when you need to hear the song. So now I have downloaded it. It is very impressive stuff. The fact that it is so simple only adds to impress me, as it is tremendously effective. Please tell someone who don't know (i.e. me), how one goes about writing stuff like this... Thanks. Anders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...