anyone into Fender Mustangs?

Elliott Damage

• Members

I fell in love with them only because that's what McLaughlin (who I normally HATE) used during the Miles-era.

And I've been fortunate enough to try some of them out from that era. And they SUCKED. Thin, {censored} necks. Awful action. Cheap feel. Bad sound. Just awful guitars, in my opinion. Not even hardly playable. And I'll play ANYTHING. That's one guitar that I WON'T ever buy.

• Members

I've got a '68 Mustang and actually play it a lot. The pickups are on the weak side, but a booster pedal (which many of us have) brings forth the sparkle. The nut width is narrow, but the neck on mine (birdseye maple!) has a decent amount of girth. I hate the vibrato and never use it, but I really like that little beat up axe.

• Members

Love them. There are two scales, short and shorter, avoid the latter, is it like a strat capo'ed up two frets. The other, 1 fret capoed up. Same scale as a Jaguar, another fav of mine. The pickups from what I understand are very similar to the Strat pickups at the time (I am talking 60s guitars here), and the difference is having flat pole-pieces. I have two and I love them, got them cheap years back. They have the best vibrato, you can rest your hand on it and add bits of vibrato when you want without having a whammy bar in the way. 70s Mustangs went to the urethane necks that I don't like, and seem to have weaker pickups for some derranged reason.

Also these are the only Fenders where you can go in or out of phase with the pickups.

• Members

I had a 1974 Sunburst Mustang (white pickguard) a few years ago...I liked the sound...but I had a problem with the narrowness of the neck, as I got long fingers, so it had to go.

but

I'd definetely get another one one day, I love the way they look :)

Archived