OT: Racism in Sydney, Australia

Sweet Lou

• Members

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/sydney-embroiled-in-race-riot/2005/12/11/1134235948497.html

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1849020,00.html

Just watched the news and am digusted with those involved - teenagers, youths, adults, men and women alike.

The phrase "Aussie Pride" was sketched in big letters on the beach.

What's up, Australia?

I've been around, and goddam, Australia seems to have the highest number of xenophobes.

First, it was the divided response to the recent drug case, and now this.

:confused:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by fernmeister

12cronulla_wideweb__470x415,0.jpg

I have been told repeatedly, THERE IS NO RACISM IN AUSTRALIA!!!

I guess if you repeat it often enough you might just manage to ignore the truth.

its all downhill from here on.. Australians are now officially racist and the world knows about it..

• Members

Let me get this straight....

Immigrants attack Australians... and then the Australians retaliate and are called racists

So what are the immigrants???.. are they racist for attacking Aussies??.. or are they anti-racists for attacking Aussies because the Aussies are the racists??

Or are the immigrants anti-racist racists???... kinda like 2 wrongs make a right???

So confusing :freak:

• Members

Love the looks on the kids' face. Their parents must be so proud of them.

The two lebanese men who attacked the lifeguard initially (that sparked off this whole craze) were clearly in the wrong.

But it got me thinking. What prompted them to such behaviour?

Anyway, we all know two wrongs don't make a right. Or in Labor Leader Arthur Calwell's statement while addressing the issue of immigrant policy in parliament, "two Wongs don't make a white".

So two lebs attack one white guy, and the appropriate response is a 5000 gathering of so-called 'white' australians to 'reclaim' their land. Right ...

Latest updates:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/retalitory-violence-in-sydneys-south/2005/12/12/1134235956260.html

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/violence-spreads-to-another-beach/2005/12/12/1134235954960.html

So anyway this topic has been moved to The SSS Political Party. Please feel free to comment over there people.

• Members
Originally posted by Sweet Lou

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/sydney-embroiled-in-race-riot/2005/12/11/1134235948497.html

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_1849020,00.html

Just watched the news and am digusted with those involved - teenagers, youths, adults, men and women alike.

The phrase "Aussie Pride" was sketched in big letters on the beach.

What's up, Australia?

I've been around, and goddam, Australia seems to have the highest number of xenophobes.

First, it was the divided response to the recent drug case, and now this.

:confused:

This is funny coming from someone as racist as you

• Members

very true.

we put on this rosy, laid back, surfing, open arms image for the world to fall in love with.

get here and you get a narrow minded, xenophobic, shirty nation with ridiculous {censored}ing weather......

but hey, we have awesome guitar, amp and pedal makers...and the clubs in melbourne havent yet fallen under the evil Idol-spell, so one can still get and go to good gigs.

Im gonna stop complaining.....something about sedition laws and ASIO and stuff like that are making me nervous now....

• Members

I've Jamacian friend who traveled the world, he said in his experience Australia was the most racist country he'd ever visited, said if he was feeling threatened, and this was often, he didn't even feel if he went into a store to escape , he'd be safe.

sad.

• Members

asio are fine mate, dont worry. there only reading your mail for fun.

I had a look at the picture in the age, a policeman is spraying pepper spray at who exactly.

i dont like the gang bash mentality, i was beaten badly by a groop of skins in 1989 and a groop of aboriginals in 1985 and both groops were tards

this sux

• Members

melbournes racism is overly violent, although sydney has been a hotbed of it in recent years.

i guess it is the one downside of multiculturalism, not unlike alcohol,that not everything mixes friendly at the end of the night.

we had it at our school, a skip vs wog thing. being 50/50 myself, i almost felt obliged to beat the {censored} out of myself....but then it never came to fruition. just a lot of chest beating.

• Members

Originally posted by GorillaLover

hahaha

My two cents....

For all the flak the US gets --- and there ARE problems here with racism and sexism, no doubt! -- I have my doubts that most of the rest of the world is all that better.

My kids grade school has adoptees from Korea, Ethiopa, South America, and other countries. As far as I can tell, the kids are getting along fine.

Look at the recent problems in France to see how well they are handling their African immigrants. Look at MOST other countries, including places to France, and you won't see as many women in power.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with other folks on the forum from other countries, but my observation is that we shouldn't hang on head too low compared with others in terms of racial equality. We ARE still 'the melting pot', and it's part of our strength.

Take care,

-- Joe

• Members
Originally posted by thebazaar

very true.

we put on this rosy, laid back, surfing, open arms image for the world to fall in love with.

get here and ....

What's up with weather?? :wave:

I know this is turning into a 'racism' thread, but what the heck, tell me about the weather!!!

-- Joe

• Members

Ok, after reading the articles on the news sites (my news sites and radio news didn't give me the full picture) I feel pretty sick about it. Seems like it's been incited (by talkback radio and word of mouth) but the images of guys with beers in hand getting violent in this way is horrible.

A fortnight ago a national broadsheet (i have a subscription and usually it's fairly highbrow) ran an article saying how our low birthrate is going to see the country going the way of France and become Islamicised...so we have to have more babies or risk being invaded by terrorists and their families of 6-7. Holy {censored}! there aren't enough resources on this planet for 6 billion the way we're going and these {censored}ers are scared for our "way of life".

and Joe, ever stop to think America's problem may be arrogance. ;)

• Members

Scott, Melbourne is some of the {censored}tiest weather
in the country (especially if you like to know what you're gonna get). Can't write off the country on that though. Today Melbourne is 35. Thunderstorm tonight. 23 tomorrow.

Anyway, half the world would kill for melbourne weather anyway. uh oh, arrogance.

Perth is more reliable/moderate.

• Members

If i can throw my 2 cents in:

This has been growing for a long time.

Not to sound bad, but allot of Leb guys have been tormenting Australian girls & the like at the beaches which has caught people off.

Then those two life savers got bashed which spurred it up to this state you see now.

I have friends off all nationalities (I'm Italian) and i know that majority of the people are good.

The thing that pisses me off is how the media really blew it up before anything happened & fueled the fire... I doubt that this would have gotten to this situation if it wasn't on every damn channel saying "hey guys, a riot is going to be on this sunday - grab your beating sticks and come on down" (They didn't sday that, but they may have well) :(

Archived