WOT : Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The computer graphics were stunning... the storyline was reasonable... and the actions scenes were quite outstanding, especially for a "kids" film.

Oh... and the child acting was very commendable, especially the little girl playing Lucy.

devi-

• Members

I thought the first half was very good. After that I could've sworn that I was watching a fourth Lord of the Rings, which I don't think fit the book very well.

The CGI was mind-blowing (Aslan especially), but I thought a lot of the child acting was pretty bad (mostly the guy that played Peter).

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

:D

seriously, have you seen that footage floating around on the net of about 3 minutes of the kong/dino fight?

WETA may have worked on Narnia to impress the kids, but they saved their big guns for Kong and it'll show.

i was floored.

and tell me you didn't get a little tingle at the end of the last trailer they released when Kong jumped and swiped that biplane.

DAMN.

• Members

Originally posted by greaseenvelope

I find it kind of frightening, however, that I have heard several glowing reviews of the film on fundamentalist christian radio stations who are very interested in stuffing the christian aspect of the narnia books down people's throats.

Of course you do. That would be the typical thing to do on here.

• Members

Originally posted by Huckleberry

Of course you do. That would be the typical thing to do on here.

i think his point wasn't to bash christians, but that he's disappointed that such a well-known story is being shoehorned to appeal to a narrower market than to a more diverse population.

but whatever - C.S. Lewis denied that he wrote a direct allegory to the resurrection story when he was alive, and it was later found to be confessed to be the opposite in personal letters of his. it seemed he simply wanted to keep the story from being claimed by just the faithful, and broaden its appeal to the entire world, even if the original intent was to write allegory.

so the triumphant claims of christian leaders are a bit over-reaching, to those outside of the faith.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by sonaboy

WETA may have worked on Narnia to impress the kids, but they saved their big guns for Kong and it'll show.

Cool... I was wondering about whether WETA did the effects for Narnia.

Those kids sure are raising the stakes for effects in movies.

devi-

• Members

Cool... I was wondering about whether WETA did the effects for Narnia.

Those kids sure are raising the stakes for effects in movies.

devi-

i think ILM is still the grand master of all FX houses, but you can bet that WETA's work puts the sweat on ILM's brow with each new release.

Guest Anonymous

i think ILM is still the grand master of all FX houses, but you can bet that WETA's work puts the sweat on ILM's brow with each new release.

I dunno... what's the last movie that ILM was involved with that tops the effects in Narnia or LOTR... and if you say Star Wars, I'd be hard pressed to say Star Wars is more amazing than LOTR.

... granted, I'd still have to give big props to ILM for being the pioneers in modern day special effects.

devi-

• Members

i think his point wasn't to bash christians, but that he's disappointed that such a well-known story is being shoehorned to appeal to a narrower market than to a more diverse population.

but whatever - C.S. Lewis denied that he wrote a direct allegory to the resurrection story when he was alive, and it was later found to be confessed to be the opposite in personal letters of his. it seemed he simply wanted to keep the story from being claimed by just the faithful, and broaden its appeal to the entire world, even if the original intent was to write allegory.

so the triumphant claims of christian leaders are a bit over-reaching, to those outside of the faith.

I never knew he handled it exactly. Makes sense though. I hate a group claiming someone else's work just because they might share the same beliefs. But I also dislike people denying what something is. I wish we could just appreciate for what it is.

• Members

Originally posted by greaseenvelope

I find it kind of frightening, however, that I have heard several glowing reviews of the film on fundamentalist christian radio stations who are very interested in stuffing the christian aspect of the narnia books down people's throats.

well, that's what it is..:thu:

• Members

I dunno... what's the last movie that ILM was involved with that tops the effects in Narnia or LOTR... and if you say Star Wars, I'd be hard pressed to say Star Wars is more amazing than LOTR.

... granted, I'd still have to give big props to ILM for being the pioneers in modern day special effects.

devi-

well, star wars is indeed the grand showcase for ILM, but it involves much more than just 3d stuff like WETA does - the sound design lab at the Ranch is almost the most impressive part of the whole affair.

just the fact that ILM can maintain the visual effects edge, AND continue to develop sound technologies that everyone else in the industry won't even try to top, makes it the king, in my opinion.

it may not be the more overwhelming of the technical side of movies, but i just watched War Of the Worlds again this week, and was again impressed at how it was done.

the thing most people don't realize is that ILM excels in the fantastic, but also maintains an edge with the more subtle things too. cool stuff like the heat rays snuffing that guy with the camera and then the in camera angle slightly off of the street angle with the same action.

the water scene...the big explosion on the hill that the tripod crawled out of.

but i'm watching WETA closely with Kong for subtleties like facial expressions, and the like. i bet they gain LOTS of ground with that.

• Members

Originally posted by Mesabooger

I never knew he handled it exactly. Makes sense though. I hate a group claiming someone else's work just because they might share the same beliefs. But I also dislike people denying what something is. I wish we could just appreciate for what it is.

i know - it's more like, if the author tried to divert the faithful trying to brand his story as their own, why would they need to try it with the movie?

it's appeal is larger than just the hardcore faithful of one religion of the world.

yet - i remember the same thing happening with the original star wars movies back in the 70s.

*shrugs*

• Members

seriously, have you seen that footage floating around on the net of about 3 minutes of the kong/dino fight?

I want to take my nephews to see this movie.

Yesterday I found d out that they combined computer graphics AND a real actor for the role of Kong: Andy Serkis from LOTR. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Eddie

I want to take my nephews to see this movie.

Yesterday I found d out that they combined computer graphics AND a real actor for the role of Kong: Andy Serkis from LOTR.
:)

yes - the same method they used to build Gollum in the LOTR series.

which was the next step in the technique that Lucas used to build Jar Jar, back when.

Roger Rabbit ownz all those bitches, though.

• Members

Originally posted by TheGZeus,OnFire

How close to the original book is it?

one of the stranger things in the movie that didn't gib with the book was that the older girl spent all this time developing her fighting skills for the final battle, but in the movie she was kept off the battlefield.

strange things like that which didn't really make much sense, even in the adapted narrative.

• Members

Originally posted by Spydog1985

Definately the best storyline ever next to the Bible...

C. S. Lewis is amazing.

the movie was pretty good, but the story makes it amazing.

oh please. i have nothing against Christians, per se, but this is a ridiculous statement.

Archived