SOT: new PK Dick film "A Scanner Darkly" to be scored by Radiohead

sonaboy

• Members

As if this film wasn't looking good enough already with rotoscoped animation and what's been said to be one of the most faithful adaptations of sci-fi genius PK Dick's work - Radiohead may be doing an electro-rock score for the film being released next year.

as read on Twitch.net

"I have a friend who is an animator on Richard Linklater's A SCANNER DARKLY. I thought you might be interested in this scoop.

The movie is doing very well in test screenings, but the #1 complaint audiences have is with the score. So I can only tell you this anonymously, but the producers have approached RADIOHEAD about doing a new score for the film and it looks like everything is going to go through. So in addition to an awesome animated Phillip K. Dick film, we will have a brand new Radiohead score to look forward to. as far as I know, this is the first time Radiohead has ever done a score for the film. While this is still a "rumor" at this time, I would give it a 99% accuracy rating at this point.

Also, I've seen the new trailer for the film and it is absolutely outstanding. It should be hitting the web any time now."

swwwwwwwwwwweeeeet!

and any haters that want to walk in and just talk {censored} on radiohead to feel good about themselves can kindly lick the sweat off of my right nut, before getting the {censored} out of this thread.

thank you, come again.

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

rotoscoping?

Rotoscoping seems to be more of an analog technology. You can see it in 70's and 80's animation. Ever seen Ralph Bakshi's attempt at "Lord of the Rings?" That's rotoscoping. Disney's Snow White is an even earlier example.

The technique that Linklater used on "Waking Life" is more of a digital/photoshop kind of thing. Much more cartoony than Bakshi's rotoscoping.

• Members

Originally posted by Zooey

Rotoscoping seems to be more of an analog technology. You can see it in 70's and 80's animation. Ever seen Ralph Bakshi's attempt at "Lord of the Rings?" That's rotoscoping. Disney's Snow White is an even earlier example.

The technique that Linklater used on "Waking Life" is more of a digital/photoshop kind of thing. Much more cartoony than Bakshi's rotoscoping.

No - it's rotoscoping, with some new technology - they call it "Interpolated Rotoscoping."

so it's the same idea with some digital tech thrown on.

either way it looks fantastic.

• Members

No, there's no suit.

There are, however, many mind-altering drugs, government conspiracies, and mental disorders. They all interact to produce a narrative that is overwhelmingly confusing, blackly funny, and strangely touching.

I had to read the book twice before I understood what actually happened and how all the pieces fit together. Even the ending makes sense once you do that.

Archived