best turn table for under $800.00?...

vanguard

• Members

I'd say for that much you can get either a rega p2 or p3 plus an amazing cartridge.

or if you want to save some dough you can buy a goldring, best budget turntable. i liked it better than the project turntables.

i might just buy a technics sl-1200 just cause they're beasts and put a nice cartridge.

i don't have the technical skills to uphold a belt driven turntable even though they're better sounding.

i may also buy a used turntable because i could get more for my money. there's a store in toronto that does this.

• Members

Originally posted by StompboxMan

Technics SL-1200MK2 Direct Drive Turntable.

+1.

I got a belt-driven old Technics SL-200 myself, which is kinda nice, but you can really screw up the pitch if the belt is too new or too old. Direct Drive is a more 'tuned' way of propulsion.

Vestax got some nice tables too, but they look too 'screamy' for me.

• Members

Originally posted by clayton explode

I'd say for that much you can get either a rega p2 or p3 plus an amazing cartridge.

or if you want to save some dough you can buy a goldring, best budget turntable. i liked it better than the project turntables.

i might just buy a technics sl-1200 just cause they're beasts and put a nice cartridge.

i don't have the technical skills to uphold a belt driven turntable even though they're better sounding.

i may also buy a used turntable because i could get more for my money. there's a store in toronto that does this.

+1 on the Goldring. We have the GR1.2 here at my shop and it sounds better than the LP12 we just sold for 2.5 times as much

• Members

Originally posted by NITEFLY182

We use the techniques at my radio station, theyll always be the standard for non-hifi freaks.

I dunno, but the term hi-fi doesn't match well with vinyl.

First there's the limited dynamic range (40-50dB tops, CD has 96), then there's the limited bandwith (there's NO info under 40Hz or above 17kHz).

That being said, I like the sound of vinyl, but it ain't 'hi-fi'.

• Members

Originally posted by Speeddemon

I dunno, but the term hi-fi doesn't match well with vinyl.

First there's the limited dynamic range (40-50dB tops, CD has 96), then there's the limited bandwith (there's NO info under 40Hz or above 17kHz).

That being said, I like the sound of vinyl, but it ain't 'hi-fi'.

I totally agree..........but I haven't heard a CD in a long while that

wasn't squashed so much that there wasn't "any" dynamic range.

It's also quite rare to find many systems that can "faithfully" reproduce anything below 40Hz, unless you spend lots of cash.

Most subs for homes these days create low end regardless whether it's actually on the recording or not. I like the "sound" of vinyl as well.

• Members

I'm there with you dude!

That's why my own home-studio is called 'Moving Needles';
if the needles move, it means there are changing dynamics. Changing dynamics=good.
totally squashed dynamic-less stuff=bad.

Btw, you'd be surprised with how small speakers can still have a great low-end! My audio-teacher designed some studio-monitors, which have a 1" silk-dome tweeter and a 6.5" driver...

almost ruler-flat: 35Hz-40kHz! They're passive, and their enclosure is rather big, but they sound awesome. And apparently a fellow student of mine managed to mod his pair a little, for even better low-end.

I like a phat low-end, but I like transient response, clarity and dynamics even more! So, I always go for tight & chunky, instead of woofy/wooly.

Archived