If I told you that on Korn's first 2 albums they had some tasty guitar tones

turnip

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

I'd believe ya. But it's hard to ignore the {censored}e that followed in their wake and how comical they became.

Even Jonothan's once shocking snivelling on those albums became unintentionally hilarious.

i guess you're just talking guitar...

I refuse to consider the fact that the Korn that made their first two albums is in anyway related to the group of {censored} that made the subsequent travesties.

Good guitar tones and interaction, neat and unique (then) vocals, great drumming, different (then) bass sounds.

Then the shopping mall culture got ahold of them.

• Members

korns last ok/decent cd was issues it was tolerable everything after that has pretty much sucked bad, i loved how much they put into theyre 1st 2 cds especially theyre 1st cd, there was next to no way for them to top the greatness of their selftitled cd, it had so many emotional songs that actually had meaning none of that sissy emo {censored}, like korn has only played the song Daddy once live, and that was off their 1st cd back in '94 davis cracks down and just start balling id hate to be there cuz thats gotta be his most hard to cope w/ memory of his whole life. but they were good. did u guys know head (braided hair guitarist) dropped out of korn to be more religious.

• Members

Originally posted by turnip

I refuse to consider the fact that the Korn that made their first two albums is in anyway related to the group of {censored} that made the subsequent travesties.

Good guitar tones and interaction, neat and unique (then) vocals, great drumming, different (then) bass sounds.

Then the shopping mall culture got ahold of them.

I have to agree that I dig the first two Korn albums. I guess it's another guilty pleasure. But I have no reason to deny it. That band really COULD have taken the path of hard rock legacy... But instead they chose the MTV route instead and their new album sounds like a HIM/Orgy type of compilation.

I sort of like HIM and Orgy, too... But I like it when they do it. Not when Korn does it.

Plus it makes it incredibly obvious that Head was the better guitarist, now that he's gone.. :confused:

But I also liked the weird pitch shift/tremolo's guitar tones they used. Not that they were exactly unique tones, but it was the context they were used in that made it sound unique. And, thusly, neat and groovy.

I had no real problems with Follow The Leader, admittedly, at the time either.

• Members

Originally posted by evilbuttmuncher

korns last ok/decent cd was issues it was tolerable everything after that has pretty much sucked bad, i loved how much they put into theyre 1st 2 cds especially theyre 1st cd, there was next to no way for them to top the greatness of their selftitled cd, it had so many emotional songs that actually had meaning none of that sissy emo {censored}, like korn has only played the song Daddy once live, and that was off their 1st cd back in '94 davis cracks down and just start balling id hate to be there cuz thats gotta be his most hard to cope w/ memory of his whole life. but they were good. did u guys know head (braided hair guitarist) dropped out of korn to be more religious.

I think you managed to break all rules of grammar, syntax, punctuation, and composition with that single post.

:(

• Members

Originally posted by Klisk

I have to agree that I dig the first two Korn albums. I guess it's another guilty pleasure. But I have no reason to deny it. That band really COULD have taken the path of hard rock legacy... But instead they chose the MTV route instead and their new album sounds like a HIM/Orgy type of compilation.

I sort of like HIM and Orgy, too... But I like it when they do it. Not when Korn does it.

Plus it makes it incredibly obvious that Head was the better guitarist, now that he's gone..
:confused:

But I also liked the weird pitch shift/tremolo's guitar tones they used. Not that they were exactly unique tones, but it was the context they were used in that made it sound unique. And, thusly, neat and groovy.

I had no real problems with Follow The Leader, admittedly, at the time either.

I thought Follow the Leader was poor when it first came out, but nowhere near as bad as the albums after. Although, to be fair, Issues had a few interesting textures embedded in the sludge.

• Members

Originally posted by Fingermush

#3. WTF was/is up with the Bass Player's sloppy string {censored}e?

Fieldy claimed to be a "percussion bassist". I remember hearing them talk about how Les Claypool, of all people, had thought that some of Fieldy's clanky playing was actually the bass drum on the album and Fieldy had to correct him. :confused:

I don't know. He just lowered the bass, turned up the treble/mids, and slapped away in a kind of random fashion. I think this was his way of being in the band without actually knowing how to play an instrument traditionally.

After Follow The Leader, he started playing bass "for real", though.

• Members

Originally posted by Klisk

Fieldy claimed to be a "percussion bassist". I remember hearing them talk about how Les Claypool, of all people, had thought that some of Fieldy's clanky playing was actually the bass drum on the album and Fieldy had to correct him.
:confused:

I don't know. He just lowered the bass, turned up the treble/mids, and slapped away in a kind of random fashion. I think this was his way of being in the band without actually knowing how to play an instrument traditionally.

After Follow The Leader, he started playing bass "for real", though.

I threatened to have my Bass set up like Fieldy & as a result I now only Sing and play Guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by Fingermush

I threatened to have my Bass set up like Fieldy & as a result I now only Sing and play Guitar.

*giggles*

His bass technique was actually pretty neat....until you realized that was all he had going for him. :mad: Then it got tiresome.

Now, the guitarists use of old EHX effects and their odd sense of interaction, that was nice. :)

• Members

Ive gotta admit those guys got me into effects.

They're work on Issues are tremendoulsy spacey sounding, more

often than not coming out as synths rather than guitar. Have a listen to the song 4U from issues, ring mod swells just sound amazing.

As for the first few albums, they had some brutally raw fuzzed out tones. Stuff like Big Muffs and even the Roland AP-7 were some common stuff in their recording. I even recalled them using an Mutron Bi Phase in one of the songs on the second album.

And that watery Small Stone warble, i absolutely love.

Archived