wah potentiometers?

januszian

• Members

Hello. My question is:

How much of the sound of a wah pedal is in the potentiometer?

I have a Snarling Dogs Wonder Wah 2 and have heard that Snarling dogs have crappy potentiometers in them.

If I change to a fulltone potentiometer for example, will the sound of the wah pedal change radically?

• Members

Originally posted by Robbert

I'd say none.

The only difference between them is the material used, better said, durability. It's nothing more then a variable resistor.
:)

That said, some of the "boutique" pots have a different taper than the stock Dunlop "Hotpotz" (and I'm assuming different from the snarling dogs, as well).

They're just variable resistors, but the rate at which they go from one end of the "wah" sound to the other is slightly different.

Tone should be unaffected, though.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Yes, but the rest of the circuit also plays a big role. Different values for a few of the caps and resistors will change the voicing.

Is the consensus then that the Fasel really is the Holy Grail of tone or are there better ones out there? If so, which Fasel - red or yellow?

Thanks BTW

• Members

Originally posted by Diende McAuk

Is the consensus then that the Fasel really is the Holy Grail of tone or are there better ones out there? If so, which Fasel - red or yellow?

Thanks BTW

Fasels are great.

I don't know which one is "better"...they're just different. I think it depends on what kind of tone you're looking for.

Do a search here for "fasel red yellow" and see what comes up.

• Members
Originally posted by januszian

So won't gain anything from changing my brand new pot?

And in the future, if I need to change the pot, I don't need to get a high end pot?

Probably not. I mean, it'll change the overall sound slightly, but shouldn't affect the tone.

• Members

Originally posted by aerorockjax

I noticed a change in tone when i switched wah pots in my crybaby. I liked the tone of the old when it worked one much better . It aint bad but its like a different voicing which is regardless of the sweep range which i sometimes like to adjust.

It's just the taper of the sweep that changes when you put in a different pot. So the sound is the same, but the "speed" at which it moves from the heel to the toe position will be slightly different. A bit like the difference between an audio tapered pot and a linear pot. You'll get the same overall sounds in there, but the difference in sound from one spot on the rocker to the next will be slightly different between two different pots.

The result is that it sounds a bit different rocking from heel to toe.

• Members

So what do you guys think about this:

"CLYDE wah Pot

Ever wonder why your wah doesn't have a vocal sweep? Blame the pot!

Ours has the exact specs of the Icar found in the famous '60's Vox wah wahs, but with the added bonus of a 500,000 turn life expectancy. That's about 34 times longer than the one you've been using!"

Can an expert give an opinion?

Archived