Wah Recomendations...

Apendecto

• Members

I've seached the archives and it looks like I see the name Teese over and over again.

I like the how you can use a Crybaby to leave it a certain position, but I think the pedal doesn't move far enough (seems like you only have an inch to work with.)

I don't like the Morleys, even though they have a larger movement to them, switchless won't work for me.

I'd like it not to suck tone like many of these do.

Currently I'm playing a Morley Power Wah Boost that's so vintage it's falling a part and is a tone sucker and ....

I've looked at the Parachute but 400 is a lot of money.

Thanks.

• Members

TheArea51 wah (kits) have a beautifull sound. You can upgrade your pedal if you want, made a big difference for me!

The fulltone wah samples sound nice too, haven't played one but it seems like you have both the vox as the colorsound wah in one. The fulltones have a bigger movement of the footplate I believe, so if that is what you want, check it out.

• Members

I can only put my vote in for a Teese Picture wah. Smooth, fantastic sweep and no anoying sounds anywhere. Awesome for the half-cocked thing as well. I also have a modded , true bypass Vox 847 and the Teese buries it. I'm sure the others mentioned are good also but this is a great wah.

• Members

Originally posted by Apendecto

Thanks. Sounds like the Full tone is up my alley. I like the bigger foot movement. Thanks.

Yo.

Yes, the sweep of the fulltone is awesome.

You might also like the zvex wah probe... Just depends on what guitar/ amp setup you're using

I'd prefer a fulltone or a teese picture wah for a strat and med or low gain... But the zvex is hands down my favorite for humbuckers and high gain

• Members
Originally posted by dinrodef

Yes, the sweep of the fulltone is awesome.

You might also like the zvex wah probe... Just depends on what guitar/ amp setup you're using

I'd prefer a fulltone or a teese picture wah for a strat and med or low gain... But the zvex is hands down my favorite for humbuckers and high gain

I don't know if my rig is considered high gain (JCM 800) and I use Gibson 500T's . Fairly hot humbucker. Just sayin, I wouldn't rule out a Pic wah for high gain and buckers. I'd like to try a Zvex though. Dam, i'm gettin a gas pain! :D

• Members

Wow. So many options.

I've got a million different guitars. A few strats, les pauls, fire bird, peavey razer... And I would normally play them through a Laney AOR pro lead 100 (Marshall 800 hotroded copy) but that bitch is dead right now. So I need it to be versitile.

The Chicago Iron is what I'd really like, but I can't jusify paying 400 bucks for it.

You like the Fulltone?

Yo.

• Members

Originally posted by axe2 2001

I can only put my vote in for a Teese Picture wah. Smooth, fantastic sweep and no anoying sounds anywhere. Awesome for the half-cocked thing as well. I also have a modded , true bypass Vox 847 and the Teese buries it. I'm sure the others mentioned are good also but this is a great wah.

I second that! The Teese is very organic sounding and vocal.

It's what a Vox or Dunlop "should" sound like. No loading either due to the bypass.

• Members

Wow. So many options.

I've got a million different guitars. A few strats, les pauls, fire bird, peavey razer... And I would normally play them through a Laney AOR pro lead 100 (Marshall 800 hotroded copy) but that bitch is dead right now. So I need it to be versitile.

The Chicago Iron is what I'd really like, but I can't jusify paying 400 bucks for it.

You like the Fulltone?

Yo.

I have a Fulltone and a Picture and I have been using them with either a Tokai SG or Les Paul clone into a 5150 head. They both handle high gain real well, but the extra little growl that the Picture has really mates well with a high gain tone.

• Members

Wow. So many options.

You like the Fulltone?

Yo.

NOw that I see what rig you have I think the fulltone would be ruled out

It's a killer pedal... but it sounds best with a strat plugged into an overdrive pedal plugged into a fender combo... It's not really a gibson into marshall type pedal. Just my opinion.

On the cheap side... the dimebag wah sounds great with humbuckers and single coils.. and sounds great with high gain or even on the clean channel because it has so many tweaking options. It's a great pedal and very underrated because it's sold at Guitar Center and mass produced... It is ugly as hell though :p

On the expensive side I prefer the zvex... cuz it's really easy to just turn the volume knob up or down depending on the guitar you're playing.. also there is a lot of play on top of the probe to find a sweet spot for any guitar into any amp.

I've also got a picture wah and wizard wah... and use each one with the appropriate guitar. PIcture wah with single coils... wizard wah with humbuckers. Great sounding but not versatile... really specific uses from my experience

• Members
Originally posted by dinrodef

NOw that I see what rig you have I think the fulltone would be ruled out

It's a killer pedal... but it sounds best with a strat plugged into an overdrive pedal plugged into a fender combo... It's not really a gibson into marshall type pedal. Just my opinion.

Depends where you set the internal trimmer. Set to the factory setting or higher, you lose a lot of the sweep with humbuckers and some gain. Set the internal trimmer for a bassier tone and it cuts through a high gain amp and humbuckers just fine. Best advice anyone can give is to try as many wahs as you can with your set up and go from there.

• Members

Originally posted by AbbeSauniere

Depends where you set the internal trimmer. Set to the factory setting or higher, you lose a lot of the sweep with humbuckers and some gain. Set the internal trimmer for a bassier tone and it cuts through a high gain amp and humbuckers just fine. Best advice anyone can give is to try as many wahs as you can with your set up and go from there.

Good point

It also depends on what a player considers high gain.

• Members

Originally posted by Kelly

Vox 848. Has Fasal inductor and true bypass like all the expensive boutiques, but costs a little less.

I am tossing up between that and a V847.. But from everything I have read- the 848 is hopeless when it comes to quality- everyone is complaining about parts breaking..

I really want a TB 487.. The picture wah is a bit out of my budget..

• Members

Originally posted by AbbeSauniere

Depends where you set the internal trimmer. Set to the factory setting or higher, you lose a lot of the sweep with humbuckers and some gain. Set the internal trimmer for a bassier tone and it cuts through a high gain amp and humbuckers just fine.

+1. I set my trimmer to back off of the shrill treble and add more bass. It sounds better to my ears and still squawks hard.

• Members

Originally posted by CustomGR

I am tossing up between that and a V847.. But from everything I have read- the 848 is hopeless when it comes to quality- everyone is complaining about parts breaking..

I really want a TB 487.. The picture wah is a bit out of my budget..

i was going to go for either of those voxes. then i played the HBE, and there was no contest. i got the HBE.

• Members

After looking into these, I'm sure they all sound great. Great companys, all are true bypass and all recomened.

But most of them have the same travel as a crybaby (HBE, Wizard, Picture, etc.).

Except:

Fultone
Chichago Iron
Silver Machine

The only problem is I can't try any of these out since they are more or less botique pedals and none of them are around here.

I'm thinking Wizard by just the price alone and getting used to the travel lenght. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles so out of these three, which would you grab.

Yo.

• Members

I'm thinking Wizard by just the price alone and getting used to the travel lenght. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles so out of these three, which would you grab.

I had a lot of concers about getting a wah that was really shrill and after testing all the teese's and fulltones along with some other wahs, I ended up with the Teese Wizard Wah. You can get them for about 180$. It holds to gain better to any wah that I've ever played. Might not have the tweakability other wahs have (no knobs) but I didn't want that anyway. I'm thinking of e-mailing Teese and getting an LED light and db volume knob though.

If you still don't know which wah to get e-mail Teese. His website is realmccoycustom.com. Tell him the gear you have, the styles that you play, and what your looking for in your wah (ie-prefrences) and he'll tell you what wah will get the job done. I know a lot of people who have e-mail him and have heard he's a really nice guy and responds very prompty....good luck!

Archived