Just Modded My Boss Metal Zone...

IAmAScientist

• Members

...and it sounds wayyyyyy better. If you're anything like me, you didn't care for the ice-pick-in-your-ear tones of the original metal zone pedal. I've had one forever, though, and when I saw there was a mod available I decided to try it (I think I've bought most of the pedal mods from www.monteallums.com by now). Result? The new MT-2 is more transparent, nicer, and way more usable. I actually really liked it, as far as real distortion pedals go. Its not a boost, its definitely a feedbacking, hissing distortion monster, but now it sounds like something you'd want to use. Its easy to get those metal harmonics and your leads sound like vicious heaven. I'll try to post a sound clip tonight.

• Members
Originally posted by FLYING V 83

So what you're saying is that after the mod, it's way better because it hisses and feeds back.

That's actually hilarious.

:D

Well, I think any pedal with the word "metal" in the title is bound to sound like someone forcing a wrench through wood chipper, but its also cleaner. The MT-2 is a dirty pedal and it colors the tone too much. I think all of T-Von's mods just make the pedals sound more transparent, and frankly, that's enough to make them into great pedals.

• Members
Originally posted by IAmAScientist

...and it sounds wayyyyyy better. If you're anything like me, you didn't care for the ice-pick-in-your-ear tones of the original metal zone pedal. I've had one forever, though, and when I saw there was a mod available I decided to try it (I think I've bought most of the pedal mods from
www.monteallums.com
by now). Result? The new MT-2 is more transparent, nicer, and way more usable. I actually really liked it, as far as real distortion pedals go. Its not a boost, its definitely a feedbacking, hissing distortion monster, but now it sounds like something you'd want to use. Its easy to get those metal harmonics and your leads sound like vicious heaven. I'll try to post a sound clip tonight.

have you tried them compared to, say, a keeley or analogman mod?

cos that'd be a nice test!

:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Dave_Mc_2

have you tried them compared to, say, a keeley or analogman mod?

cos that'd be a nice test!

If I had either, I'd do it in a second. I can't imagine that they're doing anything more than switching out component parts, though. I mean, Keeley did add an led and a switch to my DS-1, but it doesn't seem to affect the tone all that much. To me, its a choice between doing it myself at my house or sending a pedal away for weeks and paying three times as much. If you won't have fun modding it, then send it away. I personally like modding my own pedals, though....

• Members
Originally posted by IAmAScientist

If I had either, I'd do it in a second. I can't imagine that they're doing anything more than switching out component parts, though. I mean, Keeley did add an led and a switch to my DS-1, but it doesn't seem to affect the tone all that much. To me, its a choice between doing it myself at my house or sending a pedal away for weeks and paying three times as much. If you won't have fun modding it, then send it away. I personally like modding my own pedals, though....

thanks for the reply- i think keeley has a schematic up somewhere on his old site of what he did in the mods...

Archived