Jump to content

Picked up a Behringer VD-1 on a whim..


BIGD

Recommended Posts

  • Members

..not like I need it..I already have 2 modded dirt boxes and another on the way. But..curiousity got the best of me. It's definitely a cool sounding fuzz, but fuzz bleads through when it is off...which means it be going back. Unless I find that it's some kind of power supply problem. I'll try it with a battery tonight. With 3 different power supplies inluding my goldyke..there was bleed through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by BIGD

..not like I need it..I already have 2 modded dirt boxes and another on the way. But..curiousity got the best of me. It's definitely a cool sounding fuzz, but fuzz bleads through when it is off...which means it be going back. Unless I find that it's some kind of power supply problem. I'll try it with a battery tonight. With 3 different power supplies inluding my goldyke..there was bleed through.



VD-1! VD?! :D That has to be the worst name ever.

I wouldn't mind picking up one of the new Behringers for lunch money, but I can't decide which one.

It probably doesn't have a very good bypass. Probably not anything wrong with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by shepherdspy



VD-1! VD?!
:D
That has to be the worst name ever.


I wouldn't mind picking up one of the new Behringers for lunch money, but I can't decide which one.


It probably doesn't have a very good bypass. Probably not anything wrong with it.



Yep, that's what I figured. Althought the VD 1 ( :D ) is one of the more expensive ones at $30, it has to at least have some use. With that bleed problem..I'd have to use it in a loop or only for recording...and a looper costs more than the pedal!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Yeah, these are supposed to be true bypass, right?


There shouldn't be any bleed through unless it's a bad switch or something.


Got any gut pictures to share?

 

 

 

I don't want to mess around with it if I'm going to send it back. Someone said that they opened it and the diode setup was very similar to the Big Muff, but that the switch was {censored}. It doesn't sound like true bypass to me. It gets one more shot tonight, and then it's outta here!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by BIGD

I don't want to mess around with it if I'm going to send it back. Someone said that they opened it and the diode setup was very similar to the Big Muff, but that the switch was {censored}. It doesn't sound like true bypass to me. It gets one more shot tonight, and then it's outta here!!

That's weird. It makes sense that they'd be skimping on the switch, though. At those prices, you're bound to have one or two bad ones get through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by MrSage

That's weird. It makes sense that they'd be skimping on the switch, though. At those prices, you're bound to have one or two bad ones get through.

 

 

 

The thing is very light weight, made of very thin aluminum, but you'd probaby have to stomp it hard to break it.

 

Do Big Muffs normally bleed fuzz when bypassed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

The effect bleeding through was a common problem with all E-H pedals before they switched to TB, and most likely the Behringer pedals has the same "output switching only" bypass system as MXR, Marshall, Dunlop, earlier E-H etc pedals. The input jack is hardwired to the effect input (making the circuit work at all times), and the switch only selects which signal (straight from the input jack or from the effect) to send to the output jack. Since the pedal is always working, some of the fx signal can bleed over in the switch itself. It doesn't matter which power supply you're using, as the problem is in the pedal's design.

In short - the Behringer VD-1 and VP-1 are most likely not TB, which isn't such a big surprise. After all, the pedals they are copied from hasn't had TB for most of the time they've existed... But a gut shot of the VP-1 might reveal a thing or two. BIGD - got a camera? :D

/Andreas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by andreas

The effect bleeding through was a common problem with all E-H pedals before they switched to TB, and most likely the Behringer pedals has the same "output switching only" bypass system as MXR, Marshall, Dunlop, earlier E-H etc pedals. The input jack is hardwired to the effect input (making the circuit work at all times), and the switch only selects which signal (straight from the input jack or from the effect) to send to the output jack. Since the pedal is always working, some of the fx signal can bleed over in the switch itself. It doesn't matter which power supply you're using, as the problem is in the pedal's design.


In short - the Behringer VD-1 and VP-1 are most likely not TB, which isn't such a big surprise. After all, the pedals they are copied from hasn't had TB for most of the time they've existed... But a gut shot of the VP-1 might reveal a thing or two. BIGD - got a camera?
:D

/Andreas




Digital camera is not working. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Got mine in the mail yesterday, and it's not a bad dirt box at all. I didn't detect anything like bleed through last night, but then again I was running through the settings. I'll pay closer attention tonight and get back to y'all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by 5F1G

Got mine in the mail yesterday, and it's not a bad dirt box at all. I didn't detect anything like bleed through last night, but then again I was running through the settings. I'll pay closer attention tonight and get back to y'all.

Open it up and let us know what the switch looks like, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Ok, the switch on the VD1 has no housing . There's a visible spring involved, and the internal bits are held together by a frame. If you do too many flying ninja kicks to the switch, it's gonna blow. If you play nice footsy with it, it should hold up.

I don't notice the bleed bigd was mentioning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by andreas

The effect bleeding through was a common problem with all E-H pedals before they switched to TB, and most likely the Behringer pedals has the same "output switching only" bypass system as MXR, Marshall, Dunlop, earlier E-H etc pedals. The input jack is hardwired to the effect input (making the circuit work at all times), and the switch only selects which signal (straight from the input jack or from the effect) to send to the output jack. Since the pedal is always working, some of the fx signal can bleed over in the switch itself. It doesn't matter which power supply you're using, as the problem is in the pedal's design.


In short - the Behringer VD-1 and VP-1 are most likely not TB, which isn't such a big surprise. After all, the pedals they are copied from hasn't had TB for most of the time they've existed... But a gut shot of the VP-1 might reveal a thing or two. BIGD - got a camera?
:D

/Andreas



Got to hand it to you, Andreas, you've always been good at explaining things. You should write a book or something..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...