Talk amps with me guys... <30w tube, portable, ass kickin' tone machines!

english_bob

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to have a Laney LC30II which was fine for my first tube amp, but there's no way I'd get one after a twin. I used to think that everything needed to be done from the amp, but have since seen the light in amps that do one sound well and can be added to with pedals, none of this channel switching for me!

ANyway, back on track... check out Matamp. You may need to spend a bit more, but you will get something infinatably customisable to you, hand made in England, and fantastic value for money.

I have a C7 and it is the bees knees! Takes pedals brilliantly, and isn't too loud that it will never break up on it's own ( no master volume).

check out www.matamp.co.uk and see what I mean.

Also, you can pick up an AC30 CC 2x12 for

• Members

Originally posted by FLYING V 83

Marshall JTM30.

I really wanted to like these for ages, but.... I don't. Have played at least three. I'm not a Marshall fan.

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I heart my Romany Custom, but it's only 10w and might not have the oomph you're after. Denis could perhaps do you a 2x12 version with some high efficiency speakers though.

Although I'm sure the Cornell is far and away the best constructed amp on my shortlist, my worries about ordering a custom amp from them are threefold :D :

1. Waiting however many weeks without a main amp

2. The additional costs that a custom amp will mean, as opposed to an "off-the-peg" Romany. I have a feeling that it's going to push up the cost to the point where I'm going to have to come up with considerably more money, and we're back to more of reason 1.

3. I don't know enough about what effect the various changes to the configuration of the amp will have to order with confidence.

Papa Taco: I GAS for Dr. Z amps, but in the UK they're pretty pricey and dealers are few and far between. The Carmen Ghia combo is about a grand, and I reckon the Z28 will be somewhere around that price as well :(

Classic 30 is definitely an option- I've heard a few of these, and they're very nice. Never played one myself though. The Kustom Coupe '36 was designed by the same guy apparently.

...continue.

• Members

maybe something from http://electrosonicamplifiers.com

I have a thermosonic (w/ el-34) amp that I really like. They'll work with you and design an amp around your needs...and there really is a lot of room for customization. Their amps are gorgeous. The folks I've talked to that have owned electrosonics have all praised their construction. That said, my amp had a rattle. They were very apologetic, and I'm sure they would have the problem solved in no time if I wasn't too lazy to ship it back.

As it is, I play it through my Sunn 212 cab and it is amazing.

• Members

Originally posted by english_bob

Although I'm sure the Cornell is far and away the best constructed amp on my shortlist, my worries about ordering a custom amp from them are threefold
:D
:

1. Waiting however many weeks without a main amp

2. The additional costs that a custom amp will mean, as opposed to an "off-the-peg" Romany. I have a feeling that it's going to push up the cost to the point where I'm going to have to come up with considerably more money, and we're back to more of reason 1.

3. I don't know enough about what effect the various changes to the configuration of the amp will have to order with confidence.

Aye; I can understand that. My Romany wasn't much more expensive than a standard one (mine has the Rambler chassis with a 12" Jensen and a valve-driven FX loop), and Denis seemed quite happy to translate "less 'graunchy', more 'spangly'" into an actual amp spec. It'd be worth having a chat with him - he's best in person, or on the phone.

• Members
Originally posted by The Gainster

Lone Star!!!

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Lonestar/LonestarSpecial.htm

1500 quid. Which is not to say I don't want the {censored} out of one.

mischultz: I would tend to agree about the AC30. It's certainly no smaller, which is why I had the CC1 (1x12") on my shortlist. The AC15CC is also on the shortlist.

Any more for any more?

• Members

I recommend Traynor amps. They've just come out in the UK - so although I imported mine very cheaply you shouldn't have to do that.

The YCV20 is a 15 watt EL84 amp. It doesn't have acres of head room, but it would be fine if you usually mic and use a PA. Don't bother getting the WR version, get the cheaper standard version and change the speaker for something with more effeciency (I used a Celestion Blue). Also, you'll need to change the valves. I use Harmas, which has added still more headroom.

I am also gassing for the YCV40, which has 6L6s - but I don't know so much about it. I guess it is worth going for the WR version with that one, as it comes with a Vintage 30 - ideal for that amp I think. That will obviously have more headroom. I tried a 2x10 version in a shop, and it sounded good at low volumes.

• Members

Have you had any problems with it? Having read up on the VC15-110, a few people have had them break down, and I've got a Laney GC30 combo that has suffered for years from what I can only describe as stage fright- it occasionally refuses to power up, usually at the times it's most important that it does. I once had it die on me when I want to audition with a band, only to work perfectly when I got it home again.

No reliability issues with it so far at all but as I said I have only been using it for about three months. It seems well solid and well built to me. :)

Plus I read through the HC user reviews before buying and I didn't notice an unusually high number of reliability complaints - if I had I would have likely been put off.

• Members

Originally posted by The Gainster

Lone Star!!!

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Lonestar/LonestarSpecial.htm

1500 quid. Which is not to say I don't want the {censored} out of one.

mischultz: I would tend to agree about the AC30. It's certainly no smaller, which is why I had the CC1 (1x12") on my shortlist. The AC15CC is also on the shortlist.

Any more for any more?

Buy once...

What's a Quid? :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by Vince

I used to have a Laney LC30II which was fine for my first tube amp, but there's no way I'd get one after a twin. I used to think that everything needed to be done from the amp, but have since seen the light in amps that do one sound well and can be added to with pedals, none of this channel switching for me!

ANyway, back on track... check out Matamp. You may need to spend a bit more, but you will get something infinatably customisable to you, hand made in England, and fantastic value for money.

I have a C7 and it is the bees knees! Takes pedals brilliantly, and isn't too loud that it will never break up on it's own ( no master volume).

check out www.matamp.co.uk and see what I mean.

Also, you can pick up an AC30 CC 2x12 for

Archived