The Wallmart of music gear!?

mightyquinn

• Members

I am just curious if anyone else think that MF/GC will eventually end up following this other companies path. I think they will eventually. Sooner or later the will corner the market place. Then they will simply make unrealistic demands of the larger companies like Fender, Gibson, Marshall, etc. When those companies cannot meet those demands they will be forced to shut down, just like Wallmart has done to Rubbermaid and countless other companies.

Those companies will be either forced to shut it's door or move to a cheap labor country. I am betting MF/GC will force the companies out, buy them cheaply, then take it all to China, Malaysia, Korea, wherever they can get everything done the cheapest possible way.

Without getting pissed about what MF/GC/HC has done to the forums please discuss.

• Members

Dollar sign eyeballs are the problem of bean counters or greedy with lack of long term vision. If you ask me companies that make deals with the devil deserve whichever slide of hand slap in the face that comes up in short time as a result.

I suppose Gibson is an example? They have to sue in order to try to remain competitive. Too bad for them.

• Members

As long as I can still get Japanese made guitars, I'll be happy.

Of course, Japanese made guitars aren't cheap at all compared to, say, Korea. Japanese made guitars are probably just as expensive as US ones.

But to me Japanese made guitars are more valuable than American made ones. Placebo or not, but they always seem to have a 'magic' that US built guitars don't have (for me.)

• Members
Originally posted by psalt_phallow

In reality a lot of the big name music manufacturers have already started or have already moved most of their production to said countries; they just keep some in the USA for the name and markup value.

:thu:

Yes, have any of you kids ever heard of the 1980's? Ever known an Epiphone that was a quality handcrafted guitar from Kalamazoo? Ever seen a Fender with two knobs and a pickguard mounted jack? They moved the {censored} BACK to the U.S. after a time away.

This has already happened!!!
If anything you will see the market rise for specialty builders and custom shops because there will just be so MANY damn guitars out there. The bottom line is that your quality to dollar ratio is now higher than it has ever, ever, ever, ever been before and you are spoiled.

The good news is that the quality of those Korean guitars has gotten to be pretty damn good, just like the japanese guitars got to be. Econ 101.

Archived