OT- buying a new truck- any tips?

Charmless

• Members

#1 fleet manager

#2 always take someone with you that has no interest in the vehicle.their there to tell you if your getting screwed,wich you might not notice because you want the new vehicle.

#3 haggle with them on the extended warranty.maybe start off with you don't want it at all.they usually cut it in half right about then.IMO the extended warranty is a must have,and can be purchased for very little most times.

• Members

Originally posted by basscracker

#1 fleet manager

#2 always take someone with you that has no interest in the vehicle.their there to tell you if your getting screwed,wich you might not notice because you want the new vehicle.

#3 haggle with them on the extended warranty.maybe start off with you don't want it at all.they usually cut it in half right about then.IMO the extended warranty is a must have,and can be purchased for very little most times.

Thanks for the tips! one q- what's a fleet manager?

• Members

Originally posted by Charmless

Thanks for the tips! one q- what's a fleet manager?

good question:confused:.their like a car salesman W/O all the BS.when you talk with them know what you want,when you want it,and how much you want to pay.do your shopping with the lot salesman,but buy from the fleet manager or someone in fleet sales.

last time i bought a truck.i faxed around what i wanted to all the local fleet managers.then bought from the one with the best price.

• Members

Down Load all the info from Consumer Reports on the model you are interested in. Work your deal then walk out. They will be calling you. There are no nice guys or friends in car sales. Bust their balls. I got 6k off of my Tundra in 2001 by playing hardball. Pit dealer against dealer. It takes time, but time is money. :cool:

• Members

Don't buy a truck at all! They are serious magnets for anyone in a 50 mile radius who is moving, needs stuff taken somewhere or picking up stuff from Home Despot. You will be used like a pack mule for the life of your vehicle. Seriously!

I had a Chevy S-10 for 13 years and liked everything about it except for driving in the snow and for the constant calls for help from family and friends. Small pickups are relatively inexpensive compared to cars and are usually a bit beefier than a similarly priced car.

• Members

Originally posted by PB Wilson

Don't buy a truck at all! They are serious magnets for anyone in a 50 mile radius who is moving, needs stuff taken somewhere or picking up stuff from Home Despot. You will be used like a pack mule for the life of your vehicle. Seriously!

Haha - that's my life story!

If you're going to finance the truck through the dealership.. be careful that they draw up papers with the correct interest rate they quote you

During the buying process... they will always shift you from one person to another.. I caught a scam at my dealership where one guy quoted me one rate... then another guy came by with the paperwork drawn up at a different rate

The only reason I noticed it was because I had worked out the different paypments on my calculator before going to the dealership.... otherwise they would have definately tricked me.

It was on purpose too... cuz when I caught them they played dumb... not very good actors

just a heads up

• Members
Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

I'm not sure I understand. So do you walk into the dealership and ask for the fleet manager?
:confused:

yes you could,i would fax them when i had a list of the options i wanted for the vehicle
i wanted.i would never just show up at a dealership expecting to buy a vehicle then and there.go to the dealership
get your print out from one of these guys for the vehicle you want,be ready to say no and for the if you don't buy today you won't get this price BS.fax your print out to a lot salesmen and a fleet salesmen at as many dealerships as you can.you know what you
want don't let a salesman sell you whatever they have on the lot.these guys will fax you right back with their price quotes.compare for the best quote,you still have to negotiate your financing & warranty options when your ready to buy.

Archived