lookin for a filter!? is the maxon auto filter any good?

(hed)sound

• Members

I have an Ibanez AF-9, which was made by Maxon back in the day and now they sell it under their own name. I love it, great sounds and lots of different ways to set it, sometimes I put it on a really low sensitivity and it warms up my tone a lot, other times I can set it up for all out auto-wah madness. You definatley won't be dissapointed in it. Its generally considered one of the best pedals for getting the Mutron III sound without having to spend the big bucks.

Another thing to check out is the Q-Tron, I've heard good things about them as well.

• Members

I used to own the maxon... and really hated it.. just too damn bright no matter what guitar I used or amp it played through

I'm not an auto filter expert or anything... but the q tron is really lush and interactive... very easy to dial in all kinds of funkiness that doesn't get too icepicky bright

• Members

Originally posted by dinrodef

I used to own the maxon... and really hated it.. just too damn bright no matter what guitar I used or amp it played through

I'm not an auto filter expert or anything... but the q tron is really lush and interactive... very easy to dial in all kinds of funkiness that doesn't get too icepicky bright

I have the Maxon AF9; it's my first filter; and through my Marshall it's more on the dark side :freak:

• Members

I have a Maxon AF-9 and I love it. It's got the Mutron sound I was looking for, not to mention the same controls as the Mutron, but in a small package.

The only downside I can see - and this applies to any envelope filter - is that you pretty much have to set it up for a particular pickup and amp setting. If you set it up to work with humbuckers, it will be too weak when you switch to single coils. Set it up for single coils and it will sound ice-picky with humbuckers, etc.

• Members

I tried the Maxon and EMMA Discumbobulator and kept the EMMA. It seemed a bit less touchy and ultimately more musical for my ears.

Originally posted by jeverist

...this applies to any envelope filter - is that you pretty much have to set it up for a particular pickup and amp setting. If you set it up to work with humbuckers, it will be too weak when you switch to single coils. Set it up for single coils and it will sound ice-picky with humbuckers, etc.

So true! You've got to be willing to work with gain structure to get the envelope sound you want. I usually have a mild overdrive and/or compressor in front of the filter to hit it with the proper level when changing guitars and settings.

• Members

the Q-Tron was designed by Ed Beigel, who also designed the MuTron filter, and I still prefer the Q-Tron over enything else, because it has a nice growly, grainy filter sound

the EMMA I tried and found it decent, too decent

same with the Moogerfooger LowPass filter, too decent, not enough spitty, raspy quackiness compared to the Q-Tron

also have the Meatball, very nice, hard to handle, it performs better as a deep filter, to enhance bass frequencies, for slow sweeps, but sounds rather dull when used as an autowah

tried the Ibanez AF-9, it was an older one and the sliders wree a bit woolly, also found it pretty trebly, did not sound very mutronesque to me

also have a Line6 FM-4, very shrill, it does a whole lot of filtered sounds, most of which sound crappy (can be good though), the slow filter and Tron Down are OK, the Obi-Wah and Seeker models are OK? the rest of it I find pretty unispiring

anyway, Q-Tron is my fav

• Members

i have an old ibanez af9 and it is very beat up, but the sound is solid and mutronish for me, with quite a lot of cut through live. i have tried a number of other env filters out there and the qtron stands out but I prefer the af9. actually planning on getting a new one if and when I get back into gigging as I have yet to find something to knock that sound off my board.

• Members

I've got a recent Maxon AF-9. I like it a lot but it takes some time to learn it. There are the adjustments on the pedal and it is also reactice to the volume on the guitar. I also like to use it with a boost in front of it and with other pedals after. Makes it more responsive to the guitars tone and volume conrols. Pretty cool pedal and it is true bypass.

• Members

well it seems like its about a fifty fifty so far.....i just ordered 1 about a few hours ago so it will be here within the week i hope! i also hope that i didnt make a wrong descision. like maybe shoulda went with the Q-tron!? but i think those are pretty big, i like that the maxon is nice and small.......so i guess we will see. i just wanted something better than my old dod envelope filters, the old ones wit the 2 knobs

• Members

I like the Maxon. I also liked the Emma (warm but it was noisy and picked up radio) and the Xotic Robotalk (hissed when used with a power supply).

The Maxon is nice and small, and true-bypass. It can do ups and downs, and I like it at the darker side (range down, band pass).

Archived