what kind of octave pedal...

cantoXIII

• Members

...would you suggest i get?

i have been looking at the EHX pog's for the past few months because of their ability to make a guitar sound like an organ. the problem is that i don't want to spend $325 on a pedal that i wouldn't be using a whole lot. i want a pedal that can give me extremely low frequencies without muddying up my sound. i also want to be able to play chords that come out clear.

i was looking at the ZVex site and i really liked how the jonny octave pedal, in the demo video, kind of faded into the note he was playing when he did the bends. i'm looking for something that has the ability to semi-achieve that, without breaking my balls in the money department. also, that pedal only had one octave up and two octave up, but i need something that can also handle one octave down and two octave down.

any suggestions? i'm only willing to spend about $100 [give or take], and while i know that's not a lot of money for a pedal, it's not something i'd use all the time. thanks for any input.

• Members

well for the most part... there are no analog octave pedals that can deal well with chords.

many digital pedals just mimick what the analog circuitry does, but often they can fit a lot more filtering in to digital circuitry, that makes for cleaner single notes

then there are the other digital pedals that actually take samples of what you are playing and plays them back either faster or slower... for the best results they take multiple samples and overlap them, and if they are really sophisticated they will actually change the sample lengthes to match your notes harmoncially.

all this gets {censored}ed up when you play a chord.... to most digital octave pedals a chord looks just like noise..... if your guitar produced perfect sine waves it would be a lot easier to understand the chord, but with all the harmonic information it takes some serious processing power for a pedal to "decode" it in to actual notes.

Even on the pog, i can hear some artifacts in the back ground, but its probably the best octave pedal for chords i have ever heard.

my old boss gt-3 could sort of shift chords.... but not that well

for under $100 good luck!!! Im not sure there is anything out there you will want after hearing the pog

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

Im not sure there is anything out there you will want after hearing the pog

damnit! that's what i knew was going to happen. it's just so good!

hmm...how about the boss octave pedals? are they any good? obviously chords are going to be an issue with any octaver, but as far as features, tone and versatility go, how are they?

• Members

I use one of the Dano mini Octaves and i like it. It sounds a bit more....organic to me. You cant really play chords on it though, well you can if you add a tiny bit of lower octave and peg the original signal. Otherwise it sounds like BLAAARGrumblegrrrr BOOM.

I think its called the Chili Dog? Its only like 30 bucks.

• Members

Originally posted by cantoXIII

damnit! that's what i knew was going to happen. it's just so good!

hmm...how about the boss octave pedals? are they any good? obviously chords are going to be an issue with any octaver, but as far as features, tone and versatility go, how are they?

The OC-2 can only track single notes, but as far at that goes it isn't bad. It doesn't sound like a bass, but it adds a low end to your sound. It works well enough for me, though I plan on modding it soon. I'm actually jonesing for the OC-3 pedal, which has a polyphonic octave feature (meaning you can play more than one string simultaneously). As for how well it works, check the reviews on HC. Follow up and post when you purchase something...

• Members

the boss ps-5 can do some features with full chords if set up right (probably only whammy style stuff)

i currently own a foxrox octron that is great for the low end but only single note stuff

its the better than any whammy/pitchshifter/octavia pedal i have ever heard for octave down atleast

or you are looking at going to a midi synth guitar system

nothing really in that price range except the boss ps-5 which can come close to some of the things that you want

check out the demo for the pedal at the boss website it may be what you are looking for (but it doesn't sound like it) sounds like you want a guitar synth

i use a compressor, octron, and pigtronix phaser (set up to sound like a univibe) when playing in octaves i can get some preaty full organ like sounds

but i can't use full chords

• Members

hmmm...the boss oc-3 sounds like it might be something that wloud work for me. full chords aren't so much an issue, i suppose, as long as i can at least finger pluck 2-3 single notes/strings at once. i've taken a look at the octron before, but for the price/performance ratio of my personal needs, it's not something i'm too interested in.

i just glanced at the boss site, and it says the oc-3 can go both 1 and 2 octaves down, but can it go up at all or blend up/down together?

sorry for all the questions, but i'm really wanting to get an organ sound...they're just the best damn instruments ever created, and it's not convenient to always take my organ with me everywhere.

• Members

Don't be lookin to the EH Octaver Multiplexor
for help with chords....the new ones barely track single notes.

I've got one of the very old 5-knob/yellow-faced ones,
and it does GOOD at single notes, but starts bringing up the
volume of beat-notes (the summation/subtraction of your 2 notes)
up to the level of those you played, THEN OCTAVES THEM!
...sonic mud-n-mayhem

• Members

Originally posted by lefort_1

Don't be lookin to the EH Octaver Multiplexor

for help with chords....the new ones barely track single notes.

I've got one of the very old 5-knob/yellow-faced ones,

and it does GOOD at single notes, but starts bringing up the

volume of beat-notes (the summation/subtraction of your 2 notes)

up to the level of those you played, THEN OCTAVES THEM!

...sonic mud-n-mayhem

hmm. i had looked at those because of the price, but i had read in the reviews section that they had trouble tracking. damn shame too, that a company would make such a sweetass product on one hand but a super {censored}tty version also.

Archived