Best reverb and delay pedals for shred lead?

Clypher

• Members

Given a PAF pro in the neck, what pedals would complete the tone? I was thinking guyatone md-3 for the delay half, but suggestions are always welcome. Don't know much about reverb pedals. I would just use them to add to the tone moreso than to stand out and be completely recognizable as an effect, if you know what I mean.

• Members

I'm not worried about features or weird things. I just want something that sounds really good, which is the reverse of what I've heard about the DL4. Very subtle stuff to add to the character of the lead.

I'll have to use an example. The leads on Necrophagist's album Epitaph are tracked with some reverb and delay to add to the tone, and I absolutely love it. Well they use a G-Force, and I sure don't have enough money to buy one of those!

• Members

You see, the G Force is like the DL4 times on million!

But I see what you mean.......... tone and simplicity over features. The Digidelay seems up your alley. Especially, when that example you gave me probably involved a lot of layered, multiple delay sounds.

Get two Digidelays and try and blend or so..........

• Members

Originally posted by tennisdude

not to hijack the thread, but what's the general consensus on the line6 echo park?

I may not offer much of a "consensus", but I LOVE both the Echo Park and the Verbzilla. They need their own dedicated power sources (or a Pedal Power), but other than that I've had no problems.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by cqc6

Hey,

I use and like-

Delay-DD-20

Reverb- EBS DynaVerb

Both sound awesome. I love em.

I don't think I'm prepared to spend that much money on a delay pedal which a bunch of features I don't really need, but I'll definitely look into the dynaverb

Originally posted by danut

I think a Boss DD-3 / EHX Holy Grail combo, with moderate delay level / blend, would get you there. The DD-3 would give you crystal clear repeats and the HG would come with a very natural, warm, spring/hall reverb.

I've heard pretty bad things about the noise issue with the HG?

I have also discovered some other potentials. The Yamaha Magicstomp, or Rocktron Intelliverb.

• Members

Originally posted by air guitar

I don't think reverb goes very well with shred.

I think that's what makes Necrophagist's lead tone that much better, but it might be his playing... haha.

Anyway, i think I'm gonna go with a G-Major cause there are some other effects with it that I really think I could use.

• Members

The best delay I have ever heard or used is the TC Electronic Dynamic Delay. The least expensive way to get this and reverbs that are glorious is to buy for $199., a TC Electronic M-300.

It is a rack unit that is very narrow front-to-back and has the prized Dynamic Delay TC is famous for. It allows fast playing and ducks out of the way so that the notes can all be heard, then comes back in after the last note is played. It is clear, sweet, flexible and can be used for ANY playing style if used judiciously.

In the same unit are the reverbs, flanger, chorus and other great TC effects that are easy to set up as there is no internal tweaking needed. Everything is right on the front panel. It has a place to save your settings and works well with most amps I have played.

This delay is famous from the 1980's to present and has tried to be copied by Line6, but their's is not nearly as clear and transparent.

For the money, nothing comes close!

Archived