Liquid Sunshine vs. Timmy

Elliott Damage

• Members

i need a low gain overdrive for my Rt 66. I use a SCOD for my highgain sounds. Now I need something for lower gain like when i'm playing open chords (SCOD does this ok but i prefer it when its higher gained and i don't want to have to adjust during a song) and pushing the SCOD into shred territory (for impressing the ladies).

I want powertube distortion-ish overdrive. not Tube Screamer or anything like that.

I have used a LS before, first thoughts is that it sounds great. Clear and realistic. I don't think I had enough time to give it a fair evaluation though. The lack of clipping diodes in the SCOD has turned me on to the principle of using small cascaded gain boosts. thus the LS comes to mind. plus Brian Marshall is a cool guy and i always like supporting him.

The other thing i'm thinking about is the Timmy. The Timmy is a little cheaper, is supposed to sound like powertube distortion and i've enjoyed the clips i've heard. The unique EQ is also interesting to me. (The SCOD has turned me off of traditional 'tone' knobs)

What do you guys think?

• Members

Try G2D. I've had a CreamTone for a year or so and it's been my #1 OD pedal. There's no over-the-top gain and for me, that's a good thing. It's kind of a one-trick pony, giving a real thick yet articulate OD. An added boost for solos.

The Classic has a little more available gain, the Morpheus does the death-babykilling-metal tones.

They ain't cheap by any means but they sure are worth it. Check 'em out.

http://www.g2d.co.nz/products.php

• Members

I've never tried the timmy, and was under the impression that they are no longer made. The last time i saw one on ebay i think it went for $169 or something, so i dont think they are cheaper, at least not anymore. I think paul is focusing on amps... i think thats his name.

One thing that is really cool about the liquid sunshine is that you can blast the front end of it with another pedal and get some really sweet high gain sounds out of it too. Ive never tried it with the SCOD (that reminds me... where is my SCOD???) Nicholas and i tried an SCP in to the liquid dimed. It sounded really really good.

• Members

Originally posted by Brian Marshall

I've never tried the timmy, and was under the impression that they are no longer made. The last time i saw one on ebay i think it went for $169 or something, so i dont think they are cheaper, at least not anymore. I think paul is focusing on amps... i think thats his name.

One thing that is really cool about the liquid sunshine is that you can blast the front end of it with another pedal and get some really sweet high gain sounds out of it too. Ive never tried it with the SCOD (that reminds me... where is my SCOD???) Nicholas and i tried an SCP in to the liquid dimed. It sounded really really good.

hmm. if the timmy is no longer being made then the LS becomes the top of my list. Let me ask you something Brian.

maybe you can try it if you find your SCOD. Do you think I could use the SCOD at a lower gain setting which is kind of raw and tastey and then hit it with the LS for a little bit more of a singing smoother tone?

• Members

I have the Cream Tone and a Liquid Sunshine.

The G2D is a beautiful pedal, but for me it's better suited to Bluesy lead work. It is very transparent, but fat.

My thoughts are that the LS would be better suited to lower gain chord work.

The LS is a very versatile pedal because the 2 Gain stages are apparently voiced differently which let's you dial in tones that work with your gear, and also that cut through if you're playing with a band. You can pretty much dial the mids in or out.

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

hmm. if the timmy is no longer being made then the LS becomes the top of my list. Let me ask you something Brian.

maybe you can try it if you find your SCOD. Do you think I could use the SCOD at a lower gain setting which is kind of raw and tastey and then hit it with the LS for a little bit more of a singing smoother tone?

I actually dont have an SCOD here... Nicholas has it... sort of. It's a long story. Nicholas has a LS, maybe he can chime in on that.

Apparently i was wrong about the timmy.... if you can get them for $100 i dont understand the ebay prices, unless perhaps there is a long waiting list on them. I thought than toyz and pedalgeek used to carry pauls stuff. geek no longer lists it and toyz has been out of stock since forever.

• Members

Originally posted by wembleyisgreen

seriously- dr.z +timmy= no contest - killer tone

the timmy will shame your other options.

paul makes amps for heritage but still makes the timmy

$100 direct shipped and it kills your other options

Blanket commentary, sweet. LS is a great little box it is a high order to find a mild OD that comes close to "killing" the LS. I think the interface will compliment that Dr Z... Afterall you don't wanna muck up the Z with all sorts of pedal EQ.

• Members

I already did!

Not convinced. Blanket commentary. The LS is a damned nice OD. I wish I made it. Not sure of the others but I still believe it is a high order to find a mild dirt box that would kill the LS. I would have to hear specific rather than blanket commentary from ya to budge. But that's just me.

• Members

sorry but I could dwell on my negative thoughts but I would rather stay positive.

Get a timmy its $99 shipped, and paul will take a return if your not happy. Read the reviews and see what you think. Imo it is the most dynamic, transparent, large sounding overdrive made. Can do nice clean boost, nice mild overdrive, and nice crunch tones.

• Members

sorry but I could dwell on my negative thoughts but I would rather stay positive.

Get a timmy its $99 shipped, and paul will take a return if your not happy. Read the reviews and see what you think. Imo it is the most dynamic, transparent, large sounding overdrive made. Can do nice clean boost, nice mild overdrive, and nice crunch tones.

More like it. Better than them blankets for sure. I still think the LS is a nice choice if you don't wanna screw up the finely tuned Z.

• Members

I have allot of od's including the Timmy... I do like the Timmy as a very low gain od...works well like that. The big Gainster has a smoother and cleaner od with no tone change. At higher gain, the Gainster stays more neutral. If I just had the two...I would use the Gainster. Now, that said I love the Timmy and the LS. It's good to have spice in the jar.

• Members

Originally posted by The Gainster

I have allot of od's including the Timmy... I do like the Timmy as a very low gain od...works well like that. The big Gainster has a smoother and cleaner od with no tone change. At higher gain, the Gainster stays more neutral. If I just had the two...I would use the Gainster. Now, that said I love the Timmy and the LS. It's good to have spice in the jar.

Thanks for the comment Mitch. I am still interested in the Gainster pedal as well.

finding the right overdrive is hard to do and i look forward to trying a few.

i also like to stick to certain brands I have loyalty to like subdecay and barber. silly i know.:(

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

i need a low gain overdrive for my Rt 66. I use a SCOD for my highgain sounds. Now I need something for lower gain like when i'm playing open chords (SCOD does this ok but i prefer it when its higher gained and i don't want to have to adjust during a song) and pushing the SCOD into shred territory (for impressing the ladies).

I want powertube distortion-ish overdrive. not Tube Screamer or anything like that.

The other thing i'm thinking about is the Timmy. The Timmy is a little cheaper, is supposed to sound like powertube distortion and i've enjoyed the clips i've heard. The unique EQ is also interesting to me. (The SCOD has turned me off of traditional 'tone' knobs)

What do you guys think?

I really dug the LS with the Twin 60 after it...gave it a little kick in the ass...

You can get a good amount of gain outta the LS also.

The LS will be easier to get also.

:)

• Members

Originally posted by Unstrung

Try your volume knob. Eh? Eh? Well, maybe you'd feel better spending more money...

wow what a brilliant {censored}ing comment. jesus christ guys, why are we buying overdrives when we could just be using our volume knobs? we've all been so {censored}ing blind!! :rolleyes:

Archived