Anybody ever tried a Guyatone Rolly Box?

jack83

• Members

i had one, its a cool little box. tone sux i believe. i dug it, but i traded it for my first pearl od5!!!! I also have the compressor, which i like. beat to hell. the rolly box apparently reverses the phase, but i didnt hear the difference. its was a nice thick little phaser...

did u find one? get it, its cool....

• Members

Originally posted by bieke

I have the distortion of that series, amazing pedal, one of my fav dirt boxes (bottom left)

lestlopedal_jpg.jpg

That's my main distortion pedal: only 2knobs, but a lot possibilities

I bought it a few years ago but it had a broken switch. payed 25

• 1 year later...
  • Members

like a univibe, no, not really, but its a really good chewy phase at hispeeds i remember as being a bit tremolo

My first thought was that it reminded me of 'Any Colour You Like' by Pink Floyd when speed was maxed (Univibe on the album or Leslie?) but then I realised it sounded just like a Resly Machine (or Maestro PS-1 Phase Shifter) ramping up & down if I manually turned the speed knob.

Certain settings do get a tremolo effect, which then seems to become more of an auto wah effect as you increase speed. Even more speed and it goes into 'Leslie-sim' territory.

There's a lot of tonal variety in the pedal, slight changes in the settings can uncover different sounds - this surprised me after the rather bland Guyatone PS-109 Delay. With one of those 'third hand' things you could do a ramping effect with this pedal.

• Members

I just got one and agree with your points. The depth knob is a switch which then seems to control depth of phaser sweep (clockwise = more pronounced sweep and treble but loss of bass). I assume when the switch is 'off' then the phase is reversed, but I also couldn't detect a difference.

My first thought was that it reminded me of 'Any Colour You Like' by Pink Floyd when speed was maxed (Univibe on the album or Leslie?) but then I realised it sounded just like a Resly Machine (or Maestro PS-1 Phase Shifter) ramping up & down if I manually turned the speed knob.

Certain settings do get a tremolo effect, which then seems to become more of an auto wah effect as you increase speed. Even more speed and it goes into 'Leslie-sim' territory.

There's a lot of tonal variety in the pedal, slight changes in the settings can uncover different sounds - this surprised me after the rather bland Guyatone PS-109 Delay. With one of those 'third hand' things you could do a ramping effect with this pedal.

http://filters.muziq.be/model/guyatone/box/ps109

this one?!? i found one in a shop in hiroshima a few years back, but it just looked so uninteresting. and itsa was huge, cord, and only 300ms right?

does the input do anything to the sound, like some hidden benefit

ive had a bunch of guyatones (now only two, the harmonic distortion and the dual time delay). they have some good and great designs..

• Members

this one?!? i found one in a shop in hiroshima a few years back, but it just looked so uninteresting. and itsa was huge, cord, and only 300ms right?

does the input do anything to the sound, like some hidden benefit

That's the one.

It is big, 300ms but no cord - it uses 2 9v batteries or an 18v adaptor.

The input is just a volume control to equalize effect/passthrough level. If it's turned up too far the signal can distort a little.

I did a sort of review in the Delay Lounge thread a while back. I came to the same conclusions you did - not very versatile, good for a slapback or short dark delay but there seems to be very little range available from the controls - it's basically on or off. It does do the self oscillation thing.

• Members

I have some pedals of that series and the Vox V-shaped series (inside exactly the same): phaser, distortion, wah (autowah),...

All those old Guyatones are quite good (also the PS-0xx pedals)

the black box series ones from the early 80s are ok as well. well i had a couple. i played the phaser and its sounds alot like a rolly box. hmmm

Archived