The EHX 16 second delay mod ROCKS!!!

IndofunkCity

• Members

For those of you who don't know, EHX is finally offering a simple software mod to the 16 second delay reissue. What the mod does, in simple terms, is to remove that annoying 4-beat count-in and completely remove the time (ie, multiple of 4 beat) dependency.

The long story is that when you set the coarse slider on >32 bars, it disables the 4 beat count in, so as soon as you step on record it starts recording (YAY!!!). And then, the fine slider actually DOES still set a quarter note tempo, but at the minimum setting, the tempo is like 250 ms, so it's almost like having no beat. In other words, it still waits till the end of the beat when you stop the loop, but the beat is a quarter second so you don't even notice it. Or at least I didn't when I was fooling around with it last night.

EHX's factory is in my neighborhood, so I walked my unit and elctmist's to the factory to drop 'em off. They said that due to the holiday season it'd take 2 weeks to complete, but as soon as I got back home (1/2 hour) they called me back and said that the dude who does the mod had nothing on his plate so he just did 'em! Turned right around and picked 'em up! A one-hour mod for two pedals, that's gotta be the fastest turnaround EVAH! Mad props to Rick at New Sensor Corp (even though he's just the sales dude, whatever, he's the one who called me to tell me they're done so he gets the props :) )

Non-NYCers need to mail their pedals to New Sensor Corp at 32-33 47th Ave, LIC, NY. I think the zip is 11101. Call them at 800-633-5477 and talk to rick if you can. Tell him the Indian guy who brought in the 2 16 secs sent ya.

Oh, the mod costs $35.

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

Nope it already has a modulation section and a short delay setting.

And the coolest thing is that you can modulate the loop. Too bad you can't loop and delay at the same time, or this would be the only pedal I would ever need.

Except for my 3 PS3's.... :p

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

No where near as pingy and harsh as the Boss DD series to my ears, kind of clear but not too clear.

I'll agree that it's not as pingy as the Boss delays (sounds better than my PS3 for delay), but it sounds nice and clear to me.

Then again, I'm tone deaf. :o

• Members

Originally posted by StompboxMan

The EH 16 Second Delay is a great choice if you looking for a looper and delay. It has lots of features that are expanded getting it's optional foot controller. EH has modified the 16 Sec. Delay to disable the 4 beat count-in feature on all new models and will do a chip replacement for $35 if you buy the old model new or used.

EH Notice

All of the new 16 second delay units have begun shipping with the modified chip to allow the 4 beat count in to be disabled. For those of you who have the first generation reissues you can send in your units for the upgrade! We charge a flat fee of $35 to do this. The upgrade consists of a chip replacement which will allow the user to disable the 4 beat count in. Once this is done the loop ends when you want it to and not at a predetermined time. But if you need the 4 beat count in enabled again you just need to reset the unit with a few settings!

Please send the unit to:

New Sensor Corp.

32-33 47th Avenue

Long Island City, NY 11101

Attn: 16 sec. upgrade

Please include a money order for $35 and a mailing address to return the unit. Note that we cannot ship to P.O. Addresses.

Looks like you're in luck :thu:

• Members

Glad you got the mod. I'd have felt bad if I had bought it from you THEN you found out about the mod. Well, actually I would have just sold it back to you.

Glad it worked out for you. I was just playing with my jamman last night working on a backwards guitar solo in the studio. They are way fun...

• Members

Originally posted by MBET

Glad you got the mod. I'd have felt bad if I had bought it from you THEN you found out about the mod. Well, actually I would have just sold it back to you.

Glad it worked out for you. I was just playing with my jamman last night working on a backwards guitar solo in the studio. They are way fun...

If you'd ended up buying mine, I probably would've just let you keep it. After all, I do have my DL4 on my board. But since the 16 sec is now fully functioning the way I'd like, it's gonna be my backup DL4. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm going to start carrying around just the 16 sec and a PS3 as my "small" setup for when I don't want to bring out the whole board :)

Ok, maybe the 16 sec and two PS3's ... :o

• Members

Originally posted by IndofunkCity
Looks like you're in luck
:thu:

Thank you very much. Just one more question (& maybe I should ask EHX, but since you look to be pretty into the "16" I'll take a shot at asking you), how do I tell if the new unit is one with the mod, how is it identified? I ask because I'd be buying on-line. Wonder if there's a price difference, new modded vs. new non-modded. Anyway, thanks to you(or anyone else) in advance.

What's you opinion of this box as a 1st looper for someone?

Oh, & BTW, Merry Christmas to everybody.

• Members

Originally posted by iualum

Thank you very much. Just one more question (& maybe I should ask EHX, but since you look to be pretty into the "16" I'll take a shot at asking you), how do I tell if the new unit is one with the mod, how is it identified? I ask because I'd be buying on-line. Wonder if there's a price difference, new modded vs. new non-modded. Anyway, thanks to you(or anyone else) in advance.

What's you opinion of this box as a 1st looper for someone?

Oh, & BTW, Merry Christmas to everybody.

Sorry, that I do not know. The difference is an internal chip, so it won't be obvious from the outside. I'd buy it new from a dealer who can guarantee it's a new shipment, and if it turns out not to be, you can return it.

Definitely, with the mod, this is the best "first looper" out there. Cuz you can be in time (useful for practicing) or out of time (useful live). and it has a MIDI synch, if you're into that.

• Members

Originally posted by IndofunkCity
Sorry, that I do not know. The difference is an internal chip, so it won't be obvious from the outside. I'd buy it new from a dealer who can guarantee it's a new shipment, and if it turns out not to be, you can return it.

Definitely, with the mod, this is the best "first looper" out there. Cuz you can be in time (useful for practicing) or out of time (useful live). and it has a MIDI synch, if you're into that.

Thanks again. Probably a smaller outfit, rather than a superstore, would be the better bet about really identifying/shipping a modded unit.

Archived