what's the advantage of an amp stand?

homestar

• Members

better angle, instead of getting the sound at your ankles causing you to over compensate the highs and killing the crowd and making your tone bright and nasty. I use my roadcase to to get it up higher and it also allowed me to keep the stage volume down which benefits everybody and easier to adjust the tone pots on the fly as well. Many advantages and low end rumble as mentioned is another. But there is a gay factor about certain stands so watch out:love:

I usually use a crate or something if I don't have the roadcase. The stands always seemed too flimsy!

• Members

if the amp is on the floor, the speakers are directing most of the sound directly at your ankles, not your head, with the problem that the bass frequencys deflect more - you end up turning up the highs to be heard. fine in the bedroom (not ideal still) but on stage or with a band, if you are standing next to the amp, and theres a mic next to the speaker, or people standing further away, they are getting the full sound (ie loads of treble) while you sound fine to you standing next to it

the amp stand gets it pointing at your ears so you get the full sound

there are also things like the apparent volume, since it it pointing at your ears and not legs, you get more volume to your ears, so you dont have to turn the amp up as much - lovely for neighbours and flatmates

try standing near your amp and setting it up, then get down close to the floor in the direct path of the speaker and listen to the difference

David

• Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

Anybody using the tiltbacks or ampstands should check out the Weber Beam Blockers....they are a perfect to diffuse the ice pick trebles now pointed right at your face.

Do those make a noticeable difference? My friend always complains that the highs on my Fender Concert are piercing. I was thinking about getting stand, but after the last guy said he could never find one strong enough for his amps, I hesitated. Any recommendations of a stand for a heavy amp?

• Members

Originally posted by IAmAScientist

Do those make a noticeable difference? ?

Yes they are fantastic. I have a Univalve which is on the bright side and I frequenly play a tele and have a tilt back 2x12 cab with THD Vintage 12 speakers (copies of the old Utahs in the early 60's brownface twins). Though this is a recipe for shrill highs at head level the beam blockers dissipate the highs throughout the room and the amp sounds stunning when it is pointed right at my head.

The only negative is micing of the cone which is either not possible or tricky with the beam blocker...I use a palmer box so I don't care about that.

Try it out with some duct tape over the speaker grill at the cone...if you like it get some Webers.

• Members

Yes they are fantastic. I have a Univalve which is on the bright side and I frequenly play a tele and have a tilt back 2x12 cab with THD Vintage 12 speakers (copies of the old Utahs in the early 60's brownface twins). Though this is a recipe for shrill highs at head level the beam blockers dissipate the highs throughout the room and the amp sounds stunning when it is pointed right at my head.

The only negative is micing of the cone which is either not possible or tricky with the beam blocker...I use a palmer box so I don't care about that.

Try it out with some duct tape over the speaker grill at the cone...if you like it get some Webers.

I will. Do you recommend any amp stands in particular for a heavy Fender Concert 2x12 combo?

• Members

Anybody using the tiltbacks or ampstands should check out the Weber Beam Blockers....they are a perfect to diffuse the ice pick trebles now pointed right at your face.

Interesting! Why haven't I seen these before? Have you tried them? Do they effect micing?

Nevermind. I can read above.

Archived