Receiving a Mail order guitar?

Demented Avenger

• Members

when my new, used guitar arrives from UPS, What should I do?

I want to make sure there was no damage during shipping, but I also want to acclimate the guitar properly.

Any advice?

How do I acclimate it properly?

I have never ordered a guitar before.

Oh yeah, is it safe to mail one in this cold weather, Iowa to NJ?

• Members

For acoustics I would say you should wait at least 4 hours or so before opening the case. If the weather is too extreme regarding temperature and/or humidity perhaps you should wait a few extra hours.

You could check for damage in the shipping box and the guitar case, as well as quality of packing. It's not the ideal solution, but it should give you an idea.

• Members

I thought I read somewhere that it is best to check it out before I sign for it, and the UPS guy leaves, just in case it got messed up along the way.

I want to think only positive thoughts, but I also want to be prepared. Its been pretty cold too. Will the cold weather effect anything in transit?

It is an electric by the way. I'll post some pics when it gets here.

• Members

Originally posted by Jakeowen

I thought I read somewhere that it is best to check it out before I sign for it, and the UPS guy leaves, just in case it got messed up along the way.

I want to think only positive thoughts, but I also want to be prepared. Its been pretty cold too. Will the cold weather effect anything in transit?

It is an electric by the way. I'll post some pics when it gets here.

That is true, but with an acoustic it would be very risky to just open it up.

I once received a bass and the UPS lady told me to check since the box had a hole in it. She told me that I should not accept it in case it was damaged. We quickly opened the boxes, did a quick inspection, and everything was fine. Weather was not really a big issue in this situation.

In your situation I would imagine that the temperature of the guitar will be warmer than the temperature in the environment, and that may be risky. Of course, this also depends on the specific guitar and its finish. Typically with an electric you should not have any problems.

Does it come with a case, gig bag, or just a cardboard box?

If it comes with a case, the temperature inside the case may be warmer. If it's a gig bag or box I would not worry about temperature.

• Members

Thanks for the replys guys, I'm just a little anxious.

I don't buy many guitars, and this is the one I have been after for a few years now. It is a twenty year old strat, finished in polyurethane, that is all I can say for now. It will be in it's original molded plastic case. Hopefully in a cardboard box. The seller seems to know what he's doing.

So, since it will be in the case, I should let it sit for a while before opening it up?

What could happen to it if there were any problems?

Anything I watch out for?

It should be here sometime next week. Man, it's going to be a loooong wait.

Archived