Aid me in my search for the perfect Big Muff clone!

ElvisIsNotDjed

• Members

So... Here's the deal.

I have a Big Muff II NYC RI and I don't like it one bit (muddy, doesn't cut through, an annoying volume drop, unusuable tone control, not enough midrange... well, you get the picture :D )

I'm looking to buy a smokin' Big Muff clone and I'm having trouble deciding between these:

- MJM Foxey Fuzz

- Skreddy Mayo (I was originally opting for the Zero, but it's out of production now. How does the Mayo compare to the Zero?)

- Baja Tech Custom DaMOAF (this one doesn't get much talk on these forums, but I've heard some great stuff about it. Anyone care to input?)

- Euthymia ICBM Fuzz

Is there anybody who compared them side-by-side? What are the pros and cons of each? They cost roughly the same so their price isn't a set-back.

My band plays a kind of a mixture of Sonic Youth, QOTSA, Girls Against Boys, ... I guess. :) And my other band plays electronic/IDM music.

Here's my (soon to be) setup:

Fender Toronado MIM --> EHX POG (getting it next week) --> Boss SD-1 --> Boss HM-2 --> Marshall Shredmaster --> Line 6 DL-4 + exp. pedal --> Ampeg VT-22 (I'm really excited about getting this one in a couple of weeks; I hope the deal works out ok.)

Fuzzy goodness, here I come. :wave:

• Members
Originally posted by ElvisIsNotDjed

Hehehe, wish it were that simple!
:D

How does the new Mayo compare to the Zero? Skreddy?

It's got less gain, bite, and "directness" but more flavor, mojo, gritty/graininess. The new Mayo's like BBQ sauce with chipotle and molasses, compared to the Zero's Tabasco intensity. The new Mayo's tone harkens more faithfully back to the 1st-edition triangle-knob BMP than any version I've heard other than the old Mayonaise.

• Members
Originally posted by ElvisIsNotDjed

Thanks Skreddy!
:)

BTW, when are you going to put up some Mayo clips on your site?

I will try very soon. My customers will no doubt make much better clips than I. :wave: (Oh; I forgot to mention "smokey," making the BBQ sauce analogy complete... :thu: )

• Members
Anyone have anything to say about the DaMOAF?

...dunno... maybe it was the name or something.... but,

i had a "DaMoaf" and i sold it within a few days... i guess it just didnt have that much charachter to it. it was decent it just didnt inherit the 'muffiness' you'd expect with a muff clone.

i sold that and went onto the ICBM fuzz and WHOA, this thing is what a muff should sound like!! its so singing, so fuzzy and so full of saturated gain, i wonder how they fit it into such a small little box! it sounds great, and if you have the cash, id buy one of those and your search for muff 'clones' will be over... :)

• Members
Originally posted by CptnMayonaise

...dunno... maybe it was the name or something.... but,

i had a "DaMoaf" and i sold it within a few days... i guess it just didnt have that much charachter to it. it was decent it just didnt inherit the 'muffiness' you'd expect with a muff clone.

i sold that and went onto the ICBM fuzz and WHOA, this thing is what a muff should sound like!! its so singing, so fuzzy and so full of saturated gain, i wonder how they fit it into such a small little box! it sounds great, and if you have the cash, id buy one of those and your search for muff 'clones' will be over...
:)

This is the 3rd "oh my GOD" shout out to the ICBM fuzz i've seen on this board.

they must really be the {censored}.

• Members

DAM makes some good lookin` English Muffins

RAM%206LIL.JPG

"The "Ram Head" Package
Based upon the 2nd edition of the EH Big Muff Pi but more commonly referred to as the "Ram's Head" or "Lamb's Head" model. The Ram had more gain and tonal scope than the 1st edition "Triangle" Muff and was the first Big Muff to be housed in the larger enclosure.

With this package you can choose from a variety of different Muff circuits all of which will be made with higher spec parts than the original 70's units so you'll have the sweet vintage tone but without that vintage noise. True Bypass switching/LED indicator & DC socket are always as a standard."

The man likes the big stuff (inside of his tone bender)

OC81D%204%20loo.JPG

http://www.stompboxes.co.uk/gpage1.html1.html

Archived