Does anyone not like the newer dynacomp?

scraglytoast

• Members

I have an old dynacomp. probably from the 80s. it's not the script logo type but it does have 2 different looking control knobs.

the cool thing is, i got it free off another guitarist who got it off someone else when he bought a second hand fender.

It's old and the guts inside are all, well, freaking dirty. one of the knob's loose. but i just set it for a light compression and a very slight boost. it doesn't sound quacky or compressor-like. just very balanced and full. it keeps my tone level.

it does the job well for me. free. can't complain can i? :D

• Members

I have a newer dyna comp and the only way it sounds half ass good is to run the output at about 2 o'clock and the sensitivity at no more than 10 o'clock. It's for sale ... gonna build me a ross clone style compressor.....:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by PaulS

I have a newer dyna comp and the only way it sounds half ass good is to run the output at about 2 o'clock and the sensitivity at no more than 10 o'clock. It's for sale ... gonna build me a ross clone style compressor.....
:thu:

I did this and extremely pleased with the Ross clone.

As far as modding the new Dynacomp....the pots, switch, etc. are soldered on directly to the board and the older layouts on the web do not match up with the current board version. Good luck navigating!

• Members

I had a newer style Dynacomp a few years back... God, it was noisy as hell.... hissed like crazy... got rid of it and bought a Keeley.... SCHWEET... then, like a damn fool, i sold the keeley... (to fund something else)

Now Im considering a BYOC Compressor...

• Members

I like dyna comps, new ones and old ones, but definitely the old ones. I had a tone press, which was also great, but my old pre-dunlop dyna comp is my favorite. The new ones were nice also, granted, I never turn the sensitivity up past 10:00.

Archived