Flangers Clock frequency?

Walters9515

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Walters9515

I'm here to discuss about electronics and guitar pedals only not to be discouraged by tech. or people trying to reply other than that.

We have created this forum to allow our customers and others interested in security electronics to learn whats new and to share there experiences. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

• Members

Thanks joe for understanding me also

Back to the topic

What does the LFO do to the Clock chip?

The Data sheets of flanger/chorus clock chips don't say what is does

The LFO is outputing a voltage swing of -5volts to +5 volts with DC offset so the Clock chip modulation input must changes the sweeping voltages into (?) so the output of the clock chip sweeping in a digital code to the BBD chip to sweep the notches/peaks of the BBD sample/hold frequencys?

• Members

Presumably, if you're triggering/gating envelopes, depending on the shape of control signal you require, you could get away without using LFOs at all... Just use the logic signal straight from the clock divider with a pulse module for a longer duration, glide module to add a slope etc. etc. as necessary.
Could use clock dividers in series to get that perfect ratio!

• Members

THanks Joe for the information

"pulse module for a longer duration"

Like a PWM output with duty cycle adjustment?

"glide module to add a slope"

Like a intergator to adjust the rate of change? slope and ramp

"Could use clock dividers in series to get that perfect ratio!"

Frequency clock ratios?

• Members

Walter you need to read some basic electronics books before you can *understand* the answers we give. You are delving into the esoteric electronics world while having no grasp of the basics.

I see you everywhere, several different names but always the same questions with no comprehension of the answers given. You need to read or study up on the basics of electronics before the answers given can make sense to you. You get your questions answered and do not seem to understand the response, so I just start cynically answering them because at least then I can have some fun.

Buy these books read them, comprehend them, come back informed and you can grow from there:

"Art of Electronics" Horowitz and Hill. http://www.artofelectronics.com/ Brilliant book for the novice, covers analog, digital, RF, for the user.

Anything by Forrest Mimms III. He wrote all the Radio Shack electronics books that were the beginning of my electronics career. http://www.forrestmims.org/pages/8/ is his website, he writes very clearly and has a lot of great projects that can easily be done and do work.

With these two books under your belt I will answer your questions. But before then, you are a waste of time as you come out every three months or so and deluge all the boards from Plexi Palace to Recording Consoles with your inane questions.

• Members

THanks Joe for the information

"pulse module for a longer duration"

Like a PWM output with duty cycle adjustment?

"glide module to add a slope"

Like a intergator to adjust the rate of change? slope and ramp

"Could use clock dividers in series to get that perfect ratio!"

Frequency clock ratios?

PWM is duty cycle adjustment. If you don't know that, RTFM!

You have this integrator fetish, chill with the integrators.

Read, understand, return.

• Members

Sir H C answer the questions so i can soak in the knowledge so when i read the books i can understand it more

The Clock chip has a Modulation input mostly a triangle waveform LFO hooks up to the modulation input pin. What does the LFO
do to the Clock chip? it converts LFO voltage swing to digital binary inside the Clock chip?

The output of the Clock chip is digital binary? which hooks up to the BBD i see two lines going to a BBD chip from the Clock chip

If the LFO sweeps the Clock chip the output goes to the BBD would be?

I thought the Clock Chip just triggered the BBD chip to shut off and on?

If a LFO is sweeping up and down and is hooked up to the Clock chip's Modulation input then the clock chips output would have to sweep?

• Members

Sir H C answer the questions so i can soak in the knowledge so when i read the books i can understand it more

The Clock chip has a Modulation input mostly a triangle waveform LFO hooks up to the modulation input pin. What does the LFO

do to the Clock chip? it converts LFO voltage swing to digital binary inside the Clock chip?

The output of the Clock chip is digital binary? which hooks up to the BBD i see two lines going to a BBD chip from the Clock chip

If the LFO sweeps the Clock chip the output goes to the BBD would be?

I thought the Clock Chip just triggered the BBD chip to shut off and on?

If a LFO is sweeping up and down and is hooked up to the Clock chip's Modulation input then the clock chips output would have to sweep?

No, you don't have the basics to *understand* the answers to these. Since you don't seem to realize that PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) IS duty cycle adjustment, you are so far above your head that it is pretty much useless to try to instruct you until you have the basics down.

What the LFO does depends on the clock circuit. Answering that question is impossible without knowing the exact clock circuit you have in question. In effect it is a form of FM, but how it is done is specific to the implementation. I, nor anyone else, can answer your extremely open-ended questions. You need to realize that what you are asking is impossible to answer and then go from there. That requires you to show some initiative and do some work yourself, mainly reading. Understand some of the basics and then come back.

Until you can answer the following questions with some intelligence I refuse to help you and will only hinder you on all boards:

1. You have a 5 volt input, you want 3 volts out, you have a 33k resistor, what other resistor do you need (standard value 5%) to easily get the desired output voltage.

2. What is beta when used with bipolar transistors. What is the use of this, what is another name for this term, and why is it bad to rely on its value.

3. What is the difference between a sine and triangle and sawtooth oscillator. What are uses for each, and which is worst to use with a tremolo.

4. You have an op-amp. Your circuit is as follows, 1k to signal in on the + input, 1k to ground on the - input, and 10k from the negative input to the output. What is the gain. If you put the signal on the 1k on the - input and had the + input connected to ground what is the gain.

If you can answer these four questions (no not getting someone else to do it for you), then I will happily answer all your other questions. If you continue in your "transmit only" mode, then {censored} off.

• Members

Dude get off your horse

1. You have a 5 volt input, you want 3 volts out, you have a 33k resistor, what other resistor do you need (standard value 5%) to easily get the desired output voltage.

Its called a voltage divider
Use a variable resistor and put your DMM until its 3 volts output
and 5 volts for the input

2. What is beta when used with bipolar transistors. What is the use of this, what is another name for this term, and why is it bad to rely on its value.

Gain or alpha

U have to measure the gain/beta with a beta transistor meter
to match them

The use for gain is to get different distortion operations or to take a small signal like in the mV to boost to Volts

You have to bias it right for it to operate or it will be asymmetical output

3. What is the difference between a sine and triangle and sawtooth oscillator. What are uses for each, and which is worst to use with a tremolo.

They are different waveforms with different harmonics and overtones

The worst is Square wave

4. You have an op-amp. Your circuit is as follows, 1k to signal in on the + input, 1k to ground on the - input, and 10k from the negative input to the output. What is the gain. If you put the signal on the 1k on the - input and had the + input connected to ground what is the gain.

why don't u use a AC volt meter instead of making me into a human calculator

Just measure the Gain with a AC volt meter

Seems like your a Tech that is bitter about your past or your mentor or rolemodel was negative on teaching u electronics or your one of those techs that has learned the hard way and wants to rub off your negative additude onto others
To tell u the truth i really don't need your help there is other people besides you that are nicer and it willing to take some time and teach

• Members

Dude get off your horse

Not for you. You are zero for four.

Its called a voltage divider

Use a variable resistor and put your DMM until its 3 volts output

and 5 volts for the input

This is a basic question. Very basic. 22k. It took me what, 2 seconds to realize that? No need to buy a pot (what value pot should I use to try this 10k?), no need to pull out a DMM or that, it is simple very simple.

Gain or alpha

U have to measure the gain/beta with a beta transistor meter

to match them

The use for gain is to get different distortion operations or to take a small signal like in the mV to boost to Volts

You have to bias it right for it to operate or it will be asymmetical output

Alpha is something different, voltage gain, beta is current gain. WHy would you have to match them, only if you are doing diff pairs and then you would be better off with an IC that has matched transistors in it. The voltage gain for bipolar transistors is set by a single equation so you do not change the distortion characteristics for the most part by changing the beta.

They are different waveforms with different harmonics and overtones

The worst is Square wave

There are square wave tremolos out there. Find me one that uses a sawtooth wave. For a tremolo harmonics do not matter nor overtone. THis is the LFO we are talking about.

why don't u use a AC volt meter instead of making me into a human calculator

Just measure the Gain with a AC volt meter

If you are going to design something why would you go through all the trouble of building a circuit and measure all that crap when a simple equation is able to tell you everything you need to know. In your laziness not to want to do math you are doing more work. There are simple equations that can answer the above question for you much faster than building the circuit and testing it. And AC voltmeters are often 10% accurate, pretty bad.

Seems like your a Tech that is bitter about your past or your mentor or rolemodel was negative on teaching u electronics or your one of those techs that has learned the hard way and wants to rub off your negative additude onto others

To tell u the truth i really don't need your help there is other people besides you that are nicer and it willing to take some time and teach

I am not a tech. I have a masters degree in electrical engineering, I have designed analog, digital and RF ICs for 9 years. When I read your responses here, I can see someone who is extremely lazy and unwilling to do the least effort on their own and instead just expect people to give them the answers. Congratulations, you are the first person to make my ignore list. I have no time for your poor questions when you are too lazy to know the basics.

• Members

I'm not lazy your lazy for not giving me answers to my questions so your lazy if u don't want to answer the question who cares
why u make a big deal out of it , its a forum to post questions
if u think im lazy because i don't have the answers then i don't care because i don't have a electronics EE degree stop trying to
put me down and discourage me and please do me a favor a put me on your list its better for me to get away from a tech like u.

• Members

You don't teach quantum mechanics to a guy who hasn't learned how to add properly yet.
We're being nice in telling you that you should learn the basics before attempting this stuff. If you continue like this, you won't get very far, and won't fully understand anything.
Seriously, this is me helping: learn the basics first.
Go ahead and tell me that it's because I don't understand, you'd be partially right, I'm still new to this stuff, but I can see holes in what you're saying, so that should mean something.

Quit before this becomes a hundred pages of frustration and ridicule.

Luck

• Members

Walters9515,
Were these the correct answers to your original question?

Re: Flangers Clock frequency?

Whats the frequency for a Flanger Clock?

14 MHz

Whats the Frequency for a Chorus Clock?

19 MHz

Is the frequency based on a time constants because i see a resisitor and clock capacitor?

Yes

• Members

Originally posted by varialbender

You don't teach quantum mechanics to a guy who hasn't learned how to add properly yet.

We're being nice in telling you that you should learn the basics before attempting this stuff. If you continue like this, you won't get very far, and won't fully understand anything.

Seriously, this is me helping: learn the basics first.

Go ahead and tell me that it's because I don't understand, you'd be partially right, I'm still new to this stuff, but I can see holes in what you're saying, so that should mean something.

Quit before this becomes a hundred pages of frustration and ridicule.

Luck

thanks. I can not see his reply, though this is the last one that I did look at from him. It is interesting that he continuously calls me a tech. That reminds me of some people on some of the EE boards where EEs are very condescending to techs. I have a good friend who started as a Tech and now is a great MSEE. Since I tutored under techs, I respect them very highly. I don't respect anyone who wants some very complex explination that can not answer a question on resistive dividers. That is a question that anyone wanting to do this stuff should know. Not knowing it is sad.

• Members

I'm in my second year of EE, and it's crazy how little I know compared to some hobbyists. Experience is everything, really. I'm learning more and more every day, and it's great. Also, I'm not learning nearly as much in school for EE as I am on my own time on DIY sites and such. I'm going to start designing and building with a friend for this upcoming term (don't know if you're familiar with co-op, but it's a work term instead of school), so that should be great. I can't wait :)

• Members

What ever question i ask somebody is going to reply learn the basics,use google, buy books just give me your educated answer even if i don't understand i can print it out with my questions answered to take to someone how will make me understand it

Its really easy i ask questions people read them and say ok i'll reply and give the answer very simple

Don't worry if i don't get the answers or don't understand them
just answer the questions with your educated guess

• Members

What ever question i ask somebody is going to reply learn the basics,use google, buy books just give me your educated answer even if i don't understand i can print it out with my questions answered to take to someone how will make me understand it

Its really easy i ask questions people read them and say ok i'll reply and give the answer very simple

Don't worry if i don't get the answers or don't understand them

just answer the questions with your educated guess

Your questions are unanswerable or require a book. Also I might as well reply in french as you do not understand the language of electronics because you do not know the basics so again their is no point.

Concider yourself blocked.

• Members

Really not my problem this is your problem

I realize you won't believe this, but it's yours.

Sir HC is a very valuable source of information on this forum. I know if I see that he is responding in a technical thread I'll probably be learning something from his reply (FWIW, I too have an EE masters degree and know my way around a circuit board). If you actually want to learn the answers to your questions, I don't understand why you diss the person who

Would you take lessons with Satriani if you don't even know how to play a major scale? You'd be wasting his time. Same thing here.

Archived