Lets discuss what the effects loop does for modulation pedals...

BP90

• Members

Originally posted by thebazaar

i like phasers in the fx loop. they seem to get the perfect amount of mix there.

I'm the opposite. For for some reason, phasing the preamp signal sounds better to my ears vs. phasing the poweramp signal - at least for the gain stage of my Marshall. My phase use is subtle.

Some FX loops are better than others. For the brief time I owned the Mesa Single Recto amp head, I hated it's FX loop (and it's cleans, for that matter).

I guess I'm like Brian in that I usually just put everything out front, with the exception of some delay.

• Members

I guess the idea of adding even MORE cables to my setup is a bit frightening... especially now that our PA system is getting more and more complex....

Im just wondering if its REALLY worth it... am I going to get alot better modulation tones in the loop as opposed to just in front of the preamp section...

• Members

Originally posted by BrianPhase90

I guess the idea of adding even MORE cables to my setup is a bit frightening...

+1. I don't gig but I hear ya about the extra cables.

Originally posted by BrianPhase90

Im just wondering if its REALLY worth it... am I going to get alot better modulation tones in the loop as opposed to just in front of the preamp section...

I'm sure others will disagree but I'm not so sure. At least not with the pedals I've used in various loops. So far, having the FX out front seems to be working for me.

• Members

My Hellhound has an effects loop.... but its only for rack {censored} or something... Like a -10 Db?

the Blue Angel however appears to have a very nice effects loop that I just havent tried yet...

Im still fighting with the George L's to get them all to be quiet... and I dont know if its much worth it to go tearing back into the board again...

• Members

I keep my phase and my overdrives in front of the amp and my delay and chorus in the loop. I have a CE-2 for chorus and it's pretty subtle, so putting it in front of the drive channel of my amp is lost. Most of my distortion comes from my amp. The delay before distortion sounds like crap to me, so the delay goes in the loop also. And yes, the extra cables are a pain in the ass at times, but so is a pedalboard. I would love to get rid of all my stuff and just buy a Deluxe Reverb, a Boss ME-50, two cables and be done.

• Members

The best thing you can do is just try it. I had the same questions about sound, but "time-based" effects just seem to work better after your pre-amp sound has been created (overdrive, distortion, etc).

It was most obvious to me with a delay pedal. Hearing an overdriven sound delayed (loop) sounded way better than sending dleays into distortion (in front).

And you can just think about physics in the real world. If your amp is played at the Grand Canyon, the echo comes back as your over-driven sound repeating. Much more natural than sending a clean sound into the canyon to come back and THEN add overdrive to the repeats (delay before overdrive).

Go try it and see what you think.

• Members

If I run a chorus or delay in front it sounds bad to me. Delay especially. It sounds super muddy. And the chorus does get lost a bit. Just move stuff around till it sounds best to you. And your only talkin about 2 extra chords. I do notice some signal deterioration running stuff in the loop if not T.B. and the cords are real long but when playin with the band the tradoff is worth it to me.

Archived