ot: so the thing about reggae guitar is...

seifukusha

• Members

Typically, the guitar strum is on the 2 and the 4. But it's more complex than that, rhythmically. Listen to the interaction of the bassline (smooth, and accenting the 1), the drums (driving, and accenting the (2) (and) and the (4)), and the vocals, which rarely start on the 1... they let the music float the downbeat out there before they start, and they are often synchopated (accenting upbeats)

And that's just a basic reggae rhythm.

There were (are) a whole set of sub-genres that either helped create, or were offshoots from reggae:
dancehall
dub
rock steady
ragga
even ( :freak: ) ...ska

And then there's all that can be said about what reggae has meant socially.

So, it's more than just that whack on the 2 and the 4 :D

======
I went downtown
I saw Miss Brown
She had brown sugar
All over her booga wooga
I think I might join the fun
But I have to hit and run
See I just can't settle down
In da kinky part of town

• Members

Bingo. Uncle Dig's got it. And we haven't even gotten into dub which is just two chords over and over sometimes. :D

It's not just blues, either. I'd pick up one of those Trojan box sets like "Trojan Mod Reggae" or "Work Your Soul" to start to see where Reggae was going in the late 60's, early 70's.

• Members
Originally posted by ChitownTerror

Bingo. Uncle Dig's got it. And we haven't even gotten into dub which is just two chords over and over sometimes.
:D

It's not just blues, either. I'd pick up one of those Trojan box sets like "Trojan Mod Reggae" or "Work Your Soul" to start to see where Reggae was going in the late 60's, early 70's.

:thu:

Rich musical heritage, that reggae.

• Members

A lot of reggae's non-rhythm elements are borrowed from American soul music and Afropop. Ken Boothe's backing band, for example, was essentially playing 60's soul on the upbeat.

I read somewhere that the evolution of Jamaican music from calypso to reggae owed a lot to US soul radio. Because the records were hard to come by, your average Jamaican soul fan was listening to weak signals from Florida, and it wasn't possible to work out what the rhythm section was doing, so Jamaican musicians ended up fusing motown melodies with their more traditional "backwards" rhythm patterns.

...and that's how we got Sean Paul :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by english_bob

I read somewhere that the evolution of Jamaican music from calypso to reggae owed a lot to US soul radio. Because the records were hard to come by, your average Jamaican soul fan was listening to weak signals from Florida, and it wasn't possible to work out what the rhythm section was doing, so Jamaican musicians ended up fusing motown melodies with their more traditional "backwards" rhythm patterns.

...and that's how we got Sean Paul

:thu: :thu:

now THAT'S a cool bit of history right there. I never knew that - could that be the first form of music spawned from radio?

• Members

UncleDig:
Reggae actually came after things like ska and dancehall. Jamicans blended traditional afro-carribean music with american r&b. There is a box set of these "roots of reggae:ska, rocksteady" etc.

start: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/features/reggae/history_intro.shtml

and http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/bluessoulreggae/guide_reggae.shtml

Ska has the emphasis on the backbeat, so a lot of reggae has it on that too.

• Members

Yeah, thanks Jamacia.
:mad:

Sean Paul isn't that bad if you don't listen to the radio versions. They completely gut his stuff for mass comsumption but the album versions are all about da herb.

• Members
Originally posted by Vere

UncleDig:

Reggae actually came after things like ska and dancehall. Jamicans blended traditional afro-carribean music with american r&b. There is a box set of these "roots of reggae:ska, rocksteady" etc.

start:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/features/reggae/history_intro.shtml

and
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/bluessoulreggae/guide_reggae.shtml

Ska has the emphasis on the backbeat, so a lot of reggae has it on that too.

Yeah, uh - I said that.

"sub-genres that either helped create, or were offshoots from reggae"

I was summarizing for seif. Should I write up an entire history of reggae? :D

That's why they made Google. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

are you white? then you can't play reggae.

OK, so this was posted to piss people off, but once you've got a handle on what "real" Jamaican reggae sounds like, it's interesting to hear how The Clash, The Police, Elvis Costello and a whole host of other white artists "borrowed" reggae, couldn't quite play it, but did some cool things with it anyway.

I'm not suggesting you listen to ska punk though. I wouldn't do that to you guys.

I guess it's a similar story to that of Clapton, Beck, Page etc and the blues. White boys from this side of the Atlantic just seem to wish they were black boys from the other side.

• Members

Originally posted by english_bob

OK, so this was posted to piss people off, but once you've got a handle on what "real" Jamaican reggae sounds like, it's interesting to hear how The Clash, The Police, Elvis Costello and a whole host of other white artists "borrowed" reggae, couldn't quite play it, but did some cool things with it anyway.

That's a totally legitimate observation. "Walking on the Moon" or "Watching the Detectives" isn't precisely reggae, but it's not NOT reggae, either.

• Members
Originally posted by UncleDig

Yeah, uh - I said that.

"sub-genres that
either helped create
, or were offshoots from reggae"

I was summarizing for seif. Should I write up an entire history of reggae?
:D

That's why they made Google.

i guess i picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue. sorry bout that.

Archived