Billy Gibbons tone

Vince

• Members

So I'm having a ZZ top revival over here at the moment, and in a minute of crazines have decided that I want to build an amp.

What do I need to build (other than more fingers) to get close to the sound of Tres Hombres and Fandango. Something that will go from really really really really thick thick thick tone, to the awesome sound on Blue Jean Blues...

Fender Champ clone? Tweed deluxe? Help me out here dudes!!!:cool:

• Members

The live stuff on Fandango is pretty much pure Marshall.

In the studio Gibbons has the benefit of recording multiple amps and multiple tracks. Lots of those songs have a cleanish Marshall on one side and an overdriven BF Fender, or one being driven by a Fuzz Face. It is really hard to nail any artists studio tone becuase they can use as many amps as they want and add plenty of overdubs, not to mention all the studio processing and EQ'ing.

That said, a Tweed Deluxe clone would be a good *all-around* amp to get some of that Tres Hombres tone, especially paired with a speaker that breaks up fast, like a WberVST 12A100 (P12R clone). Just know the amp isn't super loud, 12 watts RMS, and very difficult to get clean tones out of.

-Y.

• Members

Weber. Someone will be along shortly to decry the cheap "Made in China" Iron/ect, but as someone who played one side by side w/ an original '58, it's scary close, and for less than a pair of NOS KT-66s. Jacks and switches "feel" cheap, but work fine. Run NOS RCAs front to back (you seem ok on that front;) ) go for the Eminence Cannibas Rex speaker option, and perform the "Paul C mod" -you can find it on the Weber boards. A friend locally has one set up this way,and it's scary close. Build it, tweak it, and worry about "upgrading" components later. You'll never get the smile off your face:thu:

• Members

My best friend has a huge pedalboard (I will post pics as soon as I find one) and his prize posession is a BOSS CE-1 that once belonged to Billy Gibbons and was used on Blue Jean Blues. Of course that is just one facet of his tone on that song, but no chorus pedal sounds like, or will ever sound like again a

BOSS CE-1.

• Members

Originally posted by L6Sguy

i know at some point Billy G had a real thing for an SS 20w Marshall for recording, but i cannot remember the details
:(
can somebody fill in the blanks here?

dear l6sguy,

i think it was a "lead 12" tiny combo, but i am not sure.

franjo

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

They will expose a {censored}ty guitar player though. I reckon that was the case.

Merry Christmas, ya bunch of hacks!

:wave:

All my best chops "smoke on the water" "stairway to heaven" just didnt have that normal 100 shrieking cats in heat tone to them.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by papa taco

They will expose a {censored}ty guitar player though. I reckon that was the case.

Merry Christmas, ya bunch of hacks!

:wave:

Thats what I love about my Bruno man, that thing doesn't let me get away with anything. Just keeps ya honest man! :D

• Members

Gibbons' tone is incredible, and he's not a one trick pony. That guy's got a stable of fine racehorses. I've always dug the way he does those flub phrases--check La Grange at 2:28-9, the opening of that second chorus solo. Man. Pure grease and BBQ smoke. Meat falls off the bone. Have mercy.

Archived