Whats the word on Ampeg VT-22s?

workinclasszero

• Members

Pros-Mind-numbingly loud, close to indestructible.

Cons-Did you lift it? Carrying one of those beasts up a flight of stairs will change your posture permanently. I speak from experience.

If you can get someone to install a master volume, they're great amps. Otherwise, you have to crank it up, and you need to be in a stadium to do that. They'll neuter a HiWatt stack.

• Members

Originally posted by twotubman

If you can get someone to install a master volume, they're great amps.

No no no no... That's why you buy a Hot Plate..

Originally posted by Chris Nuccio

Yeah, the V-4 is the VT-22 and the V-2 is a VT-40....... I think. V4 is the 100 watter.

You're right about the V-4 and the VT-22, but the V-2 is a 50W amp, and the VT-40 is 60W with Reverb.

• Members

they are {censored}in' great amps....

a couple caveats tho

weight....90 lbs is an understatement!!!!

make sure the filter caps get replaced...it uses a lot of them, obscure ones, and they go bad....especially since the amp is 25 years old or so...

by nature, they use 7027's....kinda like a high powered 6l6....

if ya want a seriously crunchy marshall sound, stick some el34's in there...

if ya want more cream, use 6l6's

if ya want a stock sound, hard and clean, go with 6550's or the original 7027's.

they are {censored}ing LOUD!!!!

but they can be tamed...a master volume is cool, but probably not necessary, you can get the tone by changing the output valves generally.

the sensitivity switches are good, too...they change how easy the basic overdrive is of the first preamp stage by changing the gain structure.

if in good shape, 400 bux isn't unreasonable....but i usually see them for between 200 and 300 here in CT.

i would say GO FER IT BRO!!!!!

they are GREAT AMPS, and compared to most of the others, damn close to bulletproof!!

peace

• Members

I had one in the mid nineties. I loved the jazzy cleans, but that's about it. I spent a bunch of money having it converted from 7027s (unobtainable at the time), at least $100 replacing other tubes. I did have a master volume installed and immediately regretted it. I was never wild about the amp overall and spent more time flipping rocker switches than playing. YMMV.

• Members
Originally posted by workinclasszero

I ran across one for $400 at a pawn shop today, looks to be in working order, very good condition. I know they're great clean amps and that QOTSA uses one. Other than that, what are the pros and cons to this monster?

Loud,bright,and ear-piercing.

Archived