Antelope Effects Morning Dew EQ Review

phishmarisol

• Members

That was a mouthful! To start off here are a couple pics and how I ran it in my chain.

204794.jpg

204793.jpg

204792.jpg

I got this pedal in yesterday on the "tour" and let me say thanks to Brian for letting us play before we pay...wish more builders did this. I'm not much of a reviewer but I'll give it a shot.

I moved the pedal around a bit in my chain and found that it sounds the same everywhere except the very end. It also sounded great everywhere except the very end. That leads me to believe that it didn't like being after the Twin 60 so a general rule would be to use this before boost/dirt. If I had to use one word to describe this pedal it would be "butter". It makes my highs full instead of nasal and my bass tight and punchy. It's really one of those effects that you only notice when it isn't on. I have a RMC-2 and consider it to be a pretty smooth wah but have lately wished that some of the high end harshness was gone. This pedal totally smoothed it out, before or after the wah. I mainly set it with the treble the same, bass at 2 and mid at 2. I really like though that when you put the treble at the same settings as bass and mid it becomes a clean boost that still retains the same full sound that just adding bass and mid gives. This pedal can also be used as a buffer when not engaged. You can switch between buffer and TB on the inside. I read a review where the person said they couldn't tell the difference on or off but I found the buffer increased signal clarity slightly. Still, this won't be an issue for me because I'll have the pedal engaged all the time. I've gotten the best tone ever from my rig with this pedal, it makes every note sound round. And there is no noise issue at all with this EQ. It's really great.

• Members

Originally posted by phishmarisol

That was a mouthful! To start off here are a couple pics and how I ran it in my chain.

204794.jpg

204793.jpg

204792.jpg

I got this pedal in yesterday on the "tour" and let me say thanks to Brian for letting us play before we pay...wish more builders did this. I'm not much of a reviewer but I'll give it a shot.

I moved the pedal around a bit in my chain and found that it sounds the same everywhere except the very end. It also sounded great everywhere except the very end. That leads me to believe that it didn't like being after the Twin 60 so a general rule would be to use this before boost/dirt. If I had to use one word to describe this pedal it would be "butter". It makes my highs full instead of nasal and my bass tight and punchy. It's really one of those effects that you only notice when it isn't on. I have a RMC-2 and consider it to be a pretty smooth wah but have lately wished that some of the high end harshness was gone. This pedal totally smoothed it out, before or after the wah. I mainly set it with the treble the same, bass at 2 and mid at 2. I really like though that when you put the treble at the same settings as bass and mid it becomes a clean boost that still retains the same full sound that just adding bass and mid gives. This pedal can also be used as a buffer when not engaged. You can switch between buffer and TB on the inside. I read a review where the person said they couldn't tell the difference on or off but I found the buffer increased signal clarity slightly. Still, this won't be an issue for me because I'll have the pedal engaged all the time. I've gotten the best tone ever from my rig with this pedal, it makes every note sound round. And there is no noise issue at all with this EQ. It's really great.

Over the holidays I intend to get acquainted with mine prpoerly.

So far, very impressed.

Saty tuned!

I smell a winner!

:thu:

• 3 months later...
  • Members

i just pulled the trigger on one.

trying my newly acquisitioned Maxon distortion master

last night darn near blew my ears apart- the thing is

too much of a beast with 59dB boost etc- i'd love to use it in a studio but for my board & volume level its just too much beast.

so i figured that i already really like my clean-boosted amp tone for drive, and for anything more or less a nice EQ might do the trick.

i used to have a dano fish n chips that i liked a lot, so i figure that i liked that i'll dig the Morning Dew, especially b/c i can trust the build quality.:love:

the best thing too is that the input/output jacks are on

the top of the pedal so it can sit nicely b/w my other pedals...

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

well i can't stand phish and i loathe the grateful dead.

what sold me was the quality construction and shining reviews...

is "morning dew" a reference to a jamband song?

Kind of. The Dead covered it a lot but did not write it.

Walk me out in the morning dew, my honey

Walk me out in the morning dew today

Can't walk you out in the morning dew, my honey

I can't walk you out in the morning dew today

I thought I heard a baby cry this morning

I thought I heard a baby cry today

You didn't hear no baby cry this morning

You didn't hear no baby cry today

Where have all the people gone, my honey?

Where have all the people gone today?

There's no need for you to be worrying about all those people

You never see those people anyway

I thought I heard a young man mourn this morning

I thought I heard a young man mourn today

I thought I heard a young man mourn this morning

I can't walk you out in the morning dew today

Walk me out in the morning dew, my honey

Walk me out in the morning dew today

Can't walk you out in the morning dew, my honey

I guess it doesn't matter anyway

Well I guess it doesn't matter anyway

• Members

Originally posted by lagunabeach

phish and dead songs used as marketing gimmics to sell pedals.........
:freak:

Haha, believe me, if I were looking for gimmicks I would've come up with something a lot better than lifting ideas from my favorite bands :p

Oh, and Ryan, I just built yours a few hours ago, sounds mighty nice, especially with my new Lovelight Overdrive/Booster prototype :thu:

• Members

I don't know if it's a volume boost but certain settings definatly "cut" better.

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

i'm really interested in one these.

I have to ask:

is there any volume loss or boost at certain settings or is it completely unity gain?

• Members

Originally posted by murtaghstyle

go {censored} yourself
:thu:

thanks! i think ill go do that!

I am always interested in trying new pedals and such.. just think its a little funny (and its totally a marketing thing). Its not a bad way to get certain peoples attention..got mine.:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Elliott Damage

i'm really interested in one these.

I have to ask:

is there any volume loss or boost at certain settings or is it completely unity gain?

It depends on how you use it really. Each control boosts or cuts a frequency range, so with all controls maxed out you get a signal boost of 15-17dB, where you can then tweak things to better boost things, but normally, if you're just looking for an EQ shift, you can adjust to taste then adjust all the controls in unison to get the boost/cut you're looking for. Might seem a little convoluted, but it comes pretty easy and it makes for a very clean sounding and quick to adjust pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by ThisBrian

It depends on how you use it really. Each control boosts or cuts a frequency range, so with all controls maxed out you get a signal boost of 15-17dB, where you can then tweak things to better boost things, but normally, if you're just looking for an EQ shift, you can adjust to taste then adjust all the controls in unison to get the boost/cut you're looking for. Might seem a little convoluted, but it comes pretty easy and it makes for a very clean sounding and quick to adjust pedal.

i understand completely. thanks for the response!

i really want one of these damn things.....

• Members

Originally posted by phishmarisol

204794.jpg

204793.jpg

204792.jpg

who are you on tour with

• Members

I was on tour with the Stones at the time. It's not widely reported but they have backup guitarists touring with them in case someone falls ill or is for whatever reason unable to perform on a given night.

Ok, April Fools.:D

Brian sent prototypes out on a "pedal tour" to allow people a chance to play it and give reviews. It's not unheard of for smaller builders to do this but I sure wish more did!

Archived