Help me with the ultimate practice rig

inscho

• Members

First off let me start by saying that my style is a blend of interpol/sonic youth/u2 .

Ok so I am looking to have an inexpensive knock around setup for when friends come over, or that I can carry around to jam. Plus I find some satisfaction in sucessfully using cheap gear to get a good sound.

Here is a partial list I've compiled from searching previous threads. Need more ideas on cheap amps and guitars too.Let me know about any obscure pedals or obvious ones I've missed. I know I left the behringer pedals off, but I don't know which ones are worth a damn.

I am trying to keep the pedals all at 50 or below.

Amp:

Epi Valve Junior

Vox AD15VT

Effects:

Dirt-

Digitech Bad Monkey

Boss SD1

Boss DS1

Dano Daddy-O

Dano Fabtone

Proco Rat2

Dano Grilled Cheese

DOD 250

DOD Supra Distortion

Roctron Austin Gold

Fuzz

EHX Russian Big muff

EHX Double Muff

Dano French Toast

Ibanez FZ7

Tricks

MXR Phase 90

Dano Tuna Melt

Boss OC2

Dano Rocky Road

Dano Chicken Salad

EHX Dr Q

Ibanez PM7

EHX Russian Small Stone

Boost/Etc

DOD fx10 Bifet

MXR Micro Amp

Dano Fish N Chips

DOD milk box

Ernie Ball VP Jr

MXR Dyna Comp

Delay

Ibanez DE7

Dano PBJ

Guitar?

SX SJM62

Squier 51

Epi LP Jr

Hopefully other people will be as interested in this as me.

Please lend me your input!

• Members

AMP:
Tube or SS?-I have a Fender Blues Jr. that I picked up used and it works great for jammin' alone and even with a few friends. If you want something simpler, check out the Fender Pro Jr. I've heard good things about the Peavy Classic 30 too.

Guitar:
Squier 51 sounds cool as does the Epi LP Jr. You might even want to look at a Fender Standard Model.

Effects:
When I jam I find myself using:

Tuner-->Wah-->Overdrive

I have heard great things about the Digitech Bad Monkey. Pick up a standard Crybaby and some cheap boss tuner with and input and output jack and you'r in business. You might want to add some kind of clean boost too (MXR Micro Amp) and fuzz (Big Muff).

So I'd have to say:

Epi. LP Jr.--> Cheapo Tuner->Crybaby->Bad Monkey->Big Muff->MXR Micro Amp-> Fender Pro Jr.

• Members

I am thinking the bad monkey because its a good overdrive, and can function also as a boost.

I want a really unique sounding dirt pedal for my main sound, and I like one of the dano's I can't remember if it was the daddy-o or the fabtone. I think it was daddy-o.

And I prefer a tube amp. the epi valve jr. seems to be the only one in its class.

I do not typically use a wah. i am taking it off the list :freak:

And I would prefer a guitar that has a p90/90s

I need someone to bust out those obscure 1980s sleeper pedals

maybe this?
epi lp jr

dano daddy-o
digitech bad monkey (boost/dirt)
ehx russian muff
boss oc2
dano fish and chips
mxr phase 90
ibanez de7

epi valve jr

I will probably be modding the guitar and amp down the road.

• Members

Valve Jr is pretty good. It's loud enough for small gigs if you mic it- I've used it un-mic'd at rehearsals and it works fine if you point it at your ears and you don't want clean clean. Mine seems to need a little kick from a boost to get the best from it, but I'm going to get some replacement tubes for it soon and see whether they make a difference.

It's also got a very loud mains hum, which is fixable with fairly simple mods. Not that I need to stress this, but if you don't know EXACTLY what you're doing, don't mess around inside a tube amp yourself, because you might die.

The Dano dirt pedals you mentioned are both good (although my Daddy-O didn't get on well with my Fender amps, it's quite bright and the VJ is quite dark, so they might ake a good match), but I would consider a used Dan Echo instead of the PB&J. It's got a metal case and has a slightly better spec IIRC. Not sure what the secondhand prices are like, but you could also consider the Wasabi Forward/Reverse delay- tap tempo might come in handy.

• Members

Originally posted by english_bob

Valve Jr is pretty good. It's loud enough for small gigs if you mic it- I've used it un-mic'd at rehearsals and it works fine if you point it at your ears and you don't want clean clean. Mine seems to need a little kick from a boost to get the best from it, but I'm going to get some replacement tubes for it soon and see whether they make a difference.

It's also got a very loud mains hum, which is fixable with fairly simple mods. Not that I need to stress this, but if you don't know EXACTLY what you're doing, don't mess around inside a tube amp yourself, because you might die.

The Dano dirt pedals you mentioned are both good (although my Daddy-O didn't get on well with my Fender amps, it's quite bright and the VJ is quite dark, so they might ake a good match), but I would consider a used Dan Echo instead of the PB&J. It's got a metal case and has a slightly better spec IIRC. Not sure what the secondhand prices are like, but you could also consider the Wasabi Forward/Reverse delay- tap tempo might come in handy.

yeah I save my amp work for my more experienced friends.

but it is easy to eliminate the hum? amp noise drives me insane.

and I'll probably be getting the ibanez de7 for my delaying needs.

• Members

amp, check out the fender blues junior, and the epi looks an awesome deal (sounds excellent with new valves/speaker)

dirt/fuzz, check out the ProCo RatII, aweomse pedal, built like a tank and pretty cheap

delay, the two you mentioned are both supposed to be awesome, and check the new marshall echohead

guitar, i havent heard a bad review about the squier 51 yet

my 2p

David

• Members
Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

amp, check out the fender blues junior, and the epi looks an awesome deal (sounds excellent with new valves/speaker)

dirt/fuzz, check out the ProCo RatII, aweomse pedal, built like a tank and pretty cheap

delay, the two you mentioned are both supposed to be awesome, and check the new marshall echohead

guitar, i havent heard a bad review about the squier 51 yet

my 2p

David

i had a ratII for a little bit, i ended up trading it for jekyll and hyde. i wish i had speakers at my work computer then i could listen to the daddy o clips

something about a daddy-o and a lp jr. makes me warm inside. :p

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by inscho

Is it easy to find a tr2 used for about $50?

I'll probably have a couple dirt pedals on the board

I got a TR-2 for under $50, but damned if I can't find a Boss OC-2 for that price. Usually around $50-$60.

Did pick up the Arion version for real cheap once. Does okay for now.

• Members

Originally posted by hoerni

I got a TR-2 for under $50, but damned if I can't find a Boss OC-2 for that price. Usually around $50-$60.

Did pick up the Arion version for real cheap once. Does okay for now.

do you care if its taiwan or japanese? I'll keep an eye out for them at the GC I used work at (still get an employee discout). I picked up a japanese for 35, and 2 taiwan for 25.

• Members

Originally posted by inscho

do you care if its taiwan or japanese? I'll keep an eye out for them at the GC I used work at (still get an employee discout). I picked up a japanese for 35, and 2 taiwan for 25.

Not really. If the price difference were only $10, I'd probably go Japanese, but I'm happy with Taiwan. I think all my Boss pedals but one are Taiwanese (and AFAIR all under $50 too)

In case you're wondering, that includes these (ignore the end notes)

Boss AW-3 - Dynamic Wah (envelope filter) [1]

Boss DD-2 - Digital Delay (custom rehouse and mod) [4]

Boss DS-1 - Distortion (qty 2 currently unmodded - planning on modding one ) [1]

Boss EH-2 - Enhancer (can't tell if it actually works though) [2]

Boss FW-10L - Low impedance volume pedal [1]

Boss FW-10H - high impedance volume pedal

Boss LM-2B - Bass Limiter [1]

Boss PQ-3B - Bass Parametric Equalizer [1]

Boss PW-10 V-Wah - Programmable Wah Pedal [1]

Actually, I rarely pay more that $50 for a pedal (recent exceptions were a Aphex Bass Exciter and a Korg PME Dist Wah, but those were good deals and still in the $60 range)

Let me know if you come across another. I see them ocasionally here (usually in GC) but always > $50. TIA

Archived