best microphone for a microkorg vocoder?

• Members

Well the microkorg has a built-in preamp to boost the mic-signal, so its not necessary to have another one in the signalchain. Plus it will be very unhandy.

Get a decent dynamic mic like the suggested SM58 or one of the cheaper clones. If you are experiencing that your voice trancients dosnt "cut through" in the vocoder, you could also try a handheld condenser mic, though they are much more expensive.

• Members

I've used mine with the SM58, and the results are 'ok'.

Truth of the matter is that I have yet to hear a vocoder on a synth that cuts the mustard. There's just not enough presence and the consonants and sibilants do not cut through, leaving the end result sharp and a little muddy.

If you want razor sharp, edgy vocoding like back in the old skool electro days, you have to get a dedicated vintage unit, or something like a MAM VF-11 or Electrix Warp Factory.

If you just wanna run some drum loops (or sumptin) through one, it'll probbaly suffice though.

IMO

• Members

+1 on the SM-58. The condenser mic included is just to show you the vocoder is functional, and Korg doesn't want you to feel ripped off for buying a synth/vocoder and not getting a microphone. Just get a XRL to 1/4" cable and you should be set. If that fails, get a regular XRL to XRL cable and fed it into the microKOrg with a Whirlwind "Little Imp" (converter for high impedance XRL to line level 1/4") and that should be good.

• Members

What kind of voice stuff you gonna do thru the synth? Myself prefers the CAD24 for anything with cookie monster type voice. The AKG D880 or its version with switch for more normal voice. Somehow its treble voicing makes octave dropped voices not as good sounding imo. Shure SM58 is between those two for my occassional mic uses wise. I'd say put together a desired vocoder patch and take to store and try a few diff mics thru it and see which you like better.

If you decide you really want a condenser mic, might check crutchfield.com, yes is stereo store, But they at least used to carry a good condencer mic or two by technics for about $100. As part of accessorries for minidisc recorders etc.

Though inexpensive, was bout $58 when got mine, the Cad24 works better then lots of more expenisive ones I've tried. But does do demon voice narrations & cookie monster lyrics when I do voice things. So may not be appropriate for you. Lol.

Archived