Suggestions on setting up a pedal Board

thepoisonchef

• Members

Im using an american Tele and a fender deville 212.

Distortion is the first thing I sought...

I have a line6 uber metal for distortion and a Boss DD-3 for delay and thats it, is there an effect I should seek like tremelo or chorus or phaser, flanger,vibroverb, Wah etc.? Im interested in good tonefull pedals not really music at this point if that sounds right...:idea:

• Members

hy there in norfolk.. i've lived in diss some years ago. but only for a few months... nice area :thu:

well.. i really think it depends on what music you play.
if you play solos alot... then a wah would be great.
i am a big fan of phasers, too! you can go really "swoooooshy!"

if you wanna be special, try a tremolo. can drive people crazy.
chorus i don't use often, but is great when you play from time to time...

but.. well.. it's a big difference if you play country or metal. ok, with a ubermetal i don't think you play the blues... but even metal and hardcore are two different horses...

• Members

This is a good time to try different effects to see what you like. Your tastes will change, but go to a store and try different pedals. Buy few used ones from eBay or your local shop. Over time, you will end up with some effects that fit your style, (and budget).

I think a good rig would have Wah, Overdrive/Distortion, Phaser, Chorus, Delay and a Tuner.

Some use more some less. Find what you like.

Jack

• Members

The pedals I have now, you can get anywhere like at a guitar center or something and these pedals sound great with my set-up...So I guess I was just wondering the same for example like if I was going to buy a "Wah" pedal I have heard of the 'crybaby' and the VoX wah and the expensive boss wah pedal. But I always look for other pedals too like at pawn shops maybe see something cheap because there some pedals i'll never try like a reverend drive train or marshall shreddmaster or somthing. So are there any recomendations for popular stuff?

• Members

If you enjoy playing a wide range of styles, the pedals most commonly found in a guitar player's setup would be:

1. Chorus. It can make your clean sounds very lush in a way that you don't get straight out of your amp.

2. Digital Delay. It creates echos and repeats of the notes you play. Think of Pink Floyd or U2 for starters.

3. Phaser or Flanger. These effect pedals provide as someone described a "swoosh" kind of sound. The classic phaser sound is heard on the first few Van Halen records.

These two effects can sound somewhat similar, and if given the choice you may want to start with the Phaser. A flanger can sound similar to a Chorus pedal depending on how it's set, so for the most variety in your sound, I'd have a Chorus and Delay to start, and then add a phaser (personally, I have both of them in my setup).

After you have these basics, I would then consider pedals such as Wah and Tremolo. There's no such thing as a best wah pedal (or any of the others, for that matter) -- if you try 10 of them in a store, you're going to hear 10 pedals that sound a little bit different from each other, and when you find 2 or 3 that sound equally good to your ears, you may find that you prefer the feel of one pedal, or you prefer that the other one has a light on it, and so on.

Some pedals have better quality of construction than others, and some have higher audio specs that lead to quieter effects that don't add noise or degrade your guitar signal quality as much as some others.

Distortion and Overdrive pedals are useful if you're not playing through a very expensive amp that already has great distortion sounds in it, or if you want to get a different variety of overdriven sound than your amp makes. But many players with expensive amps typically skip these pedals in favor of the natural sound from their amps.

Generally speaking, if you purchase effect pedals in the under-$50 category (new), those are going to be noisy and not as well built as the better pedals, but in the price range of $80-$150 per pedal you'll find a ton of choices from numerous manufacturers. Good luck!

Archived