Practice: How much do you?

mst3k

• Members
Originally posted by Hopeless Romantic

If you averaged it out I probably play at least an hour a day.

What are your guys practice routines? I have been playing for a few years and have finally sat down and looked at books!
:eek:

i just started getting serious about practiceing and learning more on guitar .

right now i do

15 mins of warm ups ( string skipping / chord changes)

5 min rest

30 mins of chromatics

5 min rest

30 mins of scales

5 mins rest

30 mins of rythm work

5 min rest

after that i usualy try working on songs or licks from books or the net after that i jam out then pass out

• Members

It varies from day-to-day. Saturdays I'll get in 2-3 hours. Other days it's only for 30 minutes to an hour before the wife gets home. There's probably 3 days I week I won't play at all due to lack of time, presence of the wife or "wasting" time here goofing off with you guys.

From the age of 15-25, I'd play for several hours per day and it showed. Today I'm not remotely up to speed as that hot shot guy back then.
:(;)
*Less internet, more instrument*

• Members
Originally posted by TheAtomicJeff

It varies from day-to-day. Saturdays I'll get in 2-3 hours. Other days it's only for 30 minutes to an hour before the wife gets home. There's probably 3 days I week I won't play at all due to lack of time, presence of the wife or "wasting" time here goofing off with you guys.

From the age of 15-25, I'd play for several hours per day and it showed. Today I'm not remotely up to speed as that hot shot guy back then.

:(;)
*Less internet, more instrument*

I bet you play better passages though. ;)

• Members

I just pick it up and play without a set routine, which I need badly. I end up noodling and it's really shown. I've learned very little new stuff this year and my playing hasn't really improved either. This is probably gonna be my New Year's Resolution - to actually sit down and PRACTICE.

BTW, what are some good scales, tips, or other things to work on that really help your fingers and pick speed? I'd like to just try to improve all facets of my play. I'm a very quick learner, I just lack motivation at times. Well, maybe not motivation, perhaps discipline is a better word. I'd rather stick to that old Clapton and pentatonic than learn some of SRV's tricks (okay, so I know a few, but not enough and I'm too sloppy at them) or other things.

And another thing, what is the better magazine (I'm going to get one or the other), GuitarOne or Guitar Player? I'm hoping that by buying one, I'll force myself to learn some of the little tricks and riffs that they have each week.

Lastly, how do you quote an entire post on here? I've been here for a month or two and I still can't figure it out. I'm so computer illiterate.

• Members

Originally posted by baron85

I just pick it up and play without a set routine, which I need badly. I end up noodling and it's really shown. I've learned very little new stuff this year and my playing hasn't really improved either. This is probably gonna be my New Year's Resolution - to actually sit down and PRACTICE.

BTW, what are some good scales, tips, or other things to work on that really help your fingers and pick speed? I'd like to just try to improve all facets of my play. I'm a very quick learner, I just lack motivation at times. Well, maybe not motivation, perhaps discipline is a better word. I'd rather stick to that old Clapton and pentatonic than learn some of SRV's tricks (okay, so I know a few, but not enough and I'm too sloppy at them) or other things.

And another thing, what is the better magazine (I'm going to get one or the other), GuitarOne or Guitar Player? I'm hoping that by buying one, I'll force myself to learn some of the little tricks and riffs that they have each week.

Lastly, how do you quote an entire post on here? I've been here for a month or two and I still can't figure it out. I'm so computer illiterate.

For sheer speed and accuracy I am going through Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar. It really tires me out quickly so I can't do much of it in one sitting. I just do it to the point where I can't take it, take a break, come back and do it again. I am slowly getting to be able to work on it longer and faster.

As for quoting a whole message, see the quote button at the bottom of each post? Click it and it does it for you. Just write beneath everything it puts in the box.

• Members

My practice routine usually consists of playing five songs (or maybe more like fragments of songs) that I wrote myself. I play the chords and then pull off some lead {censored}. There's a few that wind up becoming extended jams, and one that still doesn't have a solo. Does that sound like a real practice regiment or should I be doing theory/scales/etc.? I'm still working on some drum loops to play along with, but I haven't finished anything that sounds decent, yet.

Archived