Anyone use allofmp3.com?

gr8fuldodd

• Members

i think the general consenus about allofmp3 is that it's probably not legal, but they're based in Russia so the chances of RIAA or a similar organization ever shutting them down are slim. If I were to use them I would get a prepaid credit card just to be safe...

• Members

Originally posted by PaulieR

i think the general consenus about allofmp3 is that it's probably not legal, but they're based in Russia so the chances of RIAA or a similar organization ever shutting them down are slim. If I were to use them I would get a prepaid credit card just to be safe...

yeah, that's what I was thinking

• Members

Originally posted by chrispy108

Allofmp3 isn't legal.

Don't pay for whats effectively pirate mp3s.

You're a moron, it is completely legal because it follows the laws of the country that they reside in. And seeing as there are no laws for wire transfer internationaly, it is in fact legal and nothing can be done about it.

Also the credit cards are secure. They use the same transer service as AmEx does. I've never had a single issue with them, they've been honest and secure and the tranfers have been high quality and very fast.

Go shill for the RIAA some more.

• Members

It is legal in Russia due to a clause in their copyright law that allows publishers to set a flat rate licensing fee in the absence of any formal agreement with the copyright holder. The fact is that this rate was set a long time ago in Roubles and the actual cost is minimal by todays standards.

Many Asian countries also have similar clauses in their copyright law so it may be legal in those places too.

It is definitely not legal in Europe in the US. However, I have downloaded a ton of stuff from AllofMp3.com without any hassle. I believe the online payment system is operated by a respectable company in the Netherlands so you don't have to worry about giving your card details to the Russian mafia.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by cosmos

Too bad that there isn't an artist that sees a profit from it. It might be cheap, but it's cheap because no royalties are being paid.

here's a long read, but from what a see, artists will get royalties according to the contract their publishing companies made:

Regarding legality: allofmp3.com has a license from the Russian performing arts society. It is the Russian counterpart of ASCAP or BMI in the US. ASCAP and BMI do *not* pay record companies or recording artists, per se. They pay songwriters and music publishing companies registered to them. Businesses that use recorded music for commercial purposes must pay for a license from either ASCAP or BMI (usually both) to broadcast on radio or tv, or to use a song in a commercial, or to play background music in an elevator or supermarket. When you hear the theme from the "Pink Panther" in an elevator, Muzak is paying Henry Mancini the songwriter and his publisher out of a pool that is then divided up among the "members" according to how many uses have been monitored. A top ten radio hit in the US will thus generate tens of thousands of dollars in income for the songwriter and publisher. However, the record company will not see a penny of that money.

In terms of income, CD royalties are the smallest revenue stream after song publishing, concerts, and merchandising. Lately, rights to use a recording in a movie or a commercial have also become significant sources of income. So when you think of allofmp3.com forget about recording companies. If Michael Jackson's publishing rep in Russia has given administration rights for public performances to the Russian society, then they have no say about whether or not the Beatles can be offered on allofmp3.com. Whomever distributes Beatles' CDs in Russia doesn't ever enter into it.

Allofmp3.com pays a fixed amount per year (for example) for the rights to music registered with the performing rights society. To keep the math simple, lets say allofmp3.com pays $1000 (or ruples) for its annual license. Further, Beatles downloads account for 10% of total downloads. Hence the Beatles and their publisher (in this case Michael Jackson), will be paid $100 from the pool of $1000. Depending on the terms on which the Beatles' catalog was sold to Michael Jackson, the Lennon estate and Paul McCartney would normally get $50 and Michael Jackson's company would also get $50.

What is unusual about allofmp3.com is that they have taken the basic performing rights business model that ASCAP and BMI have used uncontroversially for 60 years and applied the "broadcast" concept to downloaded recordings. This, of course, would never fly in the US and ASCAP and BMI wouldn't think of it. OTOH, I suspect that in Russia, the performing arts society has much more legal and political clout than do the local divisions/licensees of Universal, EMI, BMG, etc. They have seen a business opportunity for their members and apparently have the power to overrule the objections of the record companies.

So I am convinced that allofmp3.com is not only legal, legitimate and safe, but it is also the most cutting edge online service technologically. That said, re-distribution of the files obtained from allofmp3.com is definitely against US law (whether you burn a CD for your sister or offer them on Kazaa) and the site acknowledges this clearly.

Congress could also pass a law making it illegal to possess allofmp3.com files, as they have banning the import or possession of Cuban cigars, but they haven't yet and I doubt they will.

Now regarding the anti-Russian biases that always raise their ugly head in any discussion of allofmp3.com, it is true that a Wild West attitude prevails among their newly minted capitalists. But it is also true that Russia has many, many fine younger computer programmers who are often under-employed and would welcome turning their talents to a business that appeals to their love of music.

And finally, since Michael Jackson seems to be living off of the income from the Beatles' publishing catalog, rather than his CD royalties, if you find him to be morally despicable, you would do just as well to avoid buying "Let It Be Naked" to stake out your ethical position, as to avoid downloading Beatles' bootlegs from allofmp3.com where Paul McCartney also gets a few pennies from your purchase. Note, while it is illegal almost everywhere to distribute and sell an unauthorized recording, it is not illegal to own or broadcast one.

Allofmp3.com operates on a broadcast model not a CD sales model.

• Members

whole crap!!!! CHEAP!!!!.. I think I may just have to get over buying hard copies.. Its 2006- time to start buying music over the net..

:thu: :thu: :thu:

I just made an account-
It says their PayPal service is down- how long has it been down for? is it likely to come back up again soon?..

I am still a bit confused over the legalities though.. If you click on 'legal info' down the bottom- its a bit weird..

Its legal in Russia- but if you reside in another country- does that make it illegal to buy music from them?

• Members
Originally posted by CustomGR

whole crap!!!! CHEAP!!!!.. I think I may just have to get over buying hard copies.. Its 2006- time to start buying music over the net..

:thu:

I just made an account-

It says their PayPal service is down- how long has it been down for? is it likely to come back up again soon?..

I am still a bit confused over the legalities though.. If you click on 'legal info' down the bottom- its a bit weird..

Its legal in Russia- but if you reside in another country- does that make it illegal to buy music from them?

No
The music publishers made their own contracts and have to live by them.
Or they can breach them, but by their own contracts, this is legal until a court w/ jurisdiction in this country says it isn't.

Archived