Check out my Fuzz/Octave Clip

dman11

• Members

For the octave I used a Dano frenchtoast fuzz w/octave
gain at lowest point plus a milimeter since it's so sensitive->into a Zoom Powerdrive(PD-01) set for tube screamer type mild OD ->into OD channel of my Traynor YCV40WR (w/boost for more bass end)gain set again for mild overdrive.I'm in an apartment so tha amp has an extencion cab(Boogie 1x12 cab w/V30)in the closet with 3 quilts on top,and my favorite cheapo Radioshack mic(LOL)into M-audio card into Sonar 4.
the Delay is a WAVES plug-in for sonar I believe it's the analog setting.

the guitar is a Strat ,neck pup is a Tex.Spec., tone all the way of for better tracking.

those dano octaves are killer I want more of them!!! mines ac plug broke and I did some serious surgery and fixed it but I worry about it ,it's by far my favorite pedal

Glad you enjoyed it

PS .I'm working on more stuff w/ octave I'll post soon

• Members

Originally posted by dman11

For the octave I used a Dano frenchtoast fuzz w/octave

gain at lowest point plus a milimeter since it's so sensitive->into a Zoom Powerdrive(PD-01) set for tube screamer type mild OD ->into OD channel of my Traynor YCV40WR (w/boost for more bass end)gain set again for mild overdrive.I'm in an apartment so tha amp has an extencion cab(Boogie 1x12 cab w/V30)in the closet with 3 quilts on top,and my favorite cheapo Radioshack mic(LOL)into M-audio card into Sonar 4.

the Delay is a WAVES plug-in for sonar I believe it's the analog setting.

the guitar is a Strat ,neck pup is a Tex.Spec., tone all the way of for better tracking.

those dano octaves are killer I want more of them!!! mines ac plug broke and I did some serious surgery and fixed it but I worry about it ,it's by far my favorite pedal

Glad you enjoyed it

PS .I'm working on more stuff w/ octave I'll post soon

I gave it another listen again and damn that was a really really cool lead tone. I'm trying to imagine it with some tapping, itll sound super synthy. And i find it quite suprising that you have 3 cascaded stages of gain and yet it remains very distinct. What was the EQ and volume on the fuzz? And will it be anything similar if you didnt have the PD-01 there?

• Members

Yeah 3 gain stages might seem like a lot and make it noisy especially the using the neck singlecoil pup.

I set the gain on the Fuzz octave barely on 1 just so that hammer-ons had something to work on,My powerdrive is set with gain on 3 o'clock which is more or less the point where the cleanboost ends and the obvious OD effect occurs-the "mid hump point", this makes the tone more middy and tubey and less harsh.I boost the teble and bass knobs of the powerdrive as well a bit .Level control matches the un-affected tone. My amps OD channel has the gain at 3 which is still pretty clean for this amp(YCV40WR)and the boost is on for the bass boost which is really nice to add body and some crunch but not much since the gain is still on 3. So the last 2 gain stages are more for Color and character that for Drive.
Almost forgot: the EQ on the Fuzz is at 4 (10 o'clock) any more and it's wway too bright and crispy, any less and it's too muddy .

• Members

That was a great clip! I was thinking about selling my French Toast since I got the Octron, but I might have to think again!

What did you use for the backing tracks and how did you get your rhythm guitar sound?

That was very catchy, you should think about making a CD. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by jeverist

That was a great clip! I was thinking about selling my French Toast since I got the Octron, but I might have to think again!

What did you use for the backing tracks and how did you get your rhythm guitar sound?

That was very catchy, you should think about making a CD.
:thu:

Thanx dude!!
appreciate the input
My drums are from a Drumwerks studio drum loops I got .It's 4 cd's of various tempoed loops.Real drummer-real kit, but this loop was actually from their Techno/hiphop sampler disk.I added some percussion and hi hat's via Sonars' TTS synth.

I tracked my Musicman bass direct: one clean track slapping and one picking with distortion via Amplitube plug-in .added chorus to the slapping track

My Rhythm guitar is the actual Fuzz/octave through my amp's OD channel playing power chords low gain on the fuzz. It's more my OD channels drive .Used my bridge pup on my strat(carvin TBH) one left one right.You can't play more than 2 notes at a time with the octave cause it modulates/tracks in a weird way.
Theres also some synth chords in the middle solo,I used a FM7 soft synth freq.mod. style synth like a YamahaDX7 clone rich tone there.
Happy yall liked it
I'm gonna put out some more and hopefully make a nice disk

• Members

I like it! I just got a French Toast for Christmas. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it, but I immediately fell in love with how it sounds through my amp's clean channel. I'll have to give it some more time through my overdrive channel -- see if I can't cop something similar to the rhythm guitar tone in your clip... :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by tlniec

I like it! I just got a French Toast for Christmas. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it, but I immediately fell in love with how it sounds through my amp's clean channel. I'll have to give it some more time through my overdrive channel -- see if I can't cop something similar to the rhythm guitar tone in your clip...
:thu:

I don't like it with the octave off,fuzz only sounds just okay.
But with the octave on playing power chords it's killer.It has that "scrungy modulation"when dual bends are done.
For playing leads above the 12th fret,where the octave kicks in ,I run an od pedal after the Toast,a Zoom PD-01 set to very light OD,to fatten it up then into my OD chanel of my amp again set to mild od this makes the Octave/fuzz sound darker ,meatier,fuller.Sustains a bit more too.It gets a little noisy,but man it's sooo cool sounding.Real synthy
You gotta use the neck pup and bring the tone down,makes the octave leap out more

Have fun and thanx for listening.

• 1 year later...

Archived