need help building pedal board for ambient sounds

thoughtsofone

• Members

Need some advice for a newby to playing live. I am auditioning for an artist as his second guitarist. The music is somewhat what I would call electronic inspired pop. (www.chipgreene.com) He wants me to do more ambient related sounds and recreate some of the other non guitar related noises in his music. I am just now building a pedal board and am really looking forward into jumping into this 100%, but i want some advice. What pedals are great for ambient non lead guitar?

My setup so far.

Pedaltrain 2 pedal board

Visual sound one spot.

Visual sound h2o delay/chorus

Visual sound jekkyl & hyde

MXR Phase 90

Boss DD3

Peavey Classic 30

I definitely want a tremolo or rotary pedal and a wah. I've looked at the Fulltone Supa-Trem and the new Line 6 Roto pedal. I am looking into a Whammy, but i really hear bad things about tone loss. Any other pedals I should check out?

Thanks

• Members

You've got a really cool setup right now. I hear a lot of good stuff about the VS J&H.

One thing that you can always say for sure about ambient music, is that you can never have enough delay. Your DD-3's nice, but I'd suggest getting either the DD-20 or the Line 6 DL4 to go with it. Maybe a Loopstation too, although with two guitarists, I don't think that's really needed.

I'd also suggest the Verbzilla. Ambient is it's thing.

If you're interested in the Whammy, I would suggest waiting a little while for the Digitech EX-7 to come out. It's got the Whammy in it, along with the Space Station, Both the Crybaby and Clyde McCoy wah, along with a few other effects. They also say it has a built-in DF-7, in which case it also has 7 different distortion models.

Here's a thread from about a week ago that talked about this:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=14487673#post14487673

• Members

I've found a lot of the "cheap" digital boxes can be the most fun for ambient sounds

Why not get a big looper and put a bunch of cheapo boxes in the loops?... that way you don't have to worry about true bypass and crap... and can always find neat things in a 50 dollar box that none of the other super hip snotty ambient guitarists are using

just my two cents

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by cantoXIII

if you don't mind me asking, what exactly does this do?

">> WHAT IS IT ?

The Frostwave Resonator is a self ossicilating, high and low pass filters with cutoffs that is fully voltage controllable. More accurately it is a true all analogue clone of the Korg MS20 Sythesizer filter section."

• 4 years later...
  • Members

i would definetly suggest a reverb pedal that does long reverbs. I have a boss rv-3, which is ambient heaven! and a digitech digiverb, which is also great for long reverbs. That will fill up your sound better than a delay pedal, but of course, a dl4 wouldn't hurt either, the delays are decent, and the loop funtion has some cool stuff

• Members

How does listening to shoegaze help him pick pedals to make ambient music?

does 2 albums go closer to ambient than shoegaze. And also he needs inspiration.

Many people think that ambient is about putting 3 delays and a reverb pedal together, I differ.

Archived