help with hush?

Thundersteel21

• Members

hi all just purchased a newer version of the hush rackmount for rig and was confused on where to put it in signal chain? I am running a triple xxx and what to know if i put before the amp in the loop or after the amp? If i put it in loop it will not work unless i engage the loop which is no good (it is a parrallel loop) if i put it in front of the amp will this work ok? will it suck tone? do i just plug into the mono part of the hush then into amp? Or do i put it after the amp before speakers? I think this will ruin the amp but i thought id ask anyway? :) i just want to reduce the hum and noise on all channels at live volumes being the triple xxx is quiet already these dimarzios are damn noisy!!! thanks for any help!!!! :)

• Members

Some guys put it before and some after the preamp, some use two and sandwich everything in the middle. I'd say in the FX loop right after the preamp and before other effects in the loop. Hush is really one of those effects that should be used in a serial setting, not parallel, since I would imagine that the unaffected dry signal is pretty high in the mix unless you are running your parallel loop wide open.

• Members

To be effective without being too intrusive, a Hush (or any other noise reduction unit) needs to go right after the main noise source. In this case, I'd say the preamp section in the amp is the main offender (due to the amount of gain available in the XXX), so the Hush should go in the FX loop. But... the loop needs to be the serial variety, otherwise the Hush will not be able to clean up the signal at all. I had a quick look at the manual, and at least with the combo versions, the loop seems to be serial (there are level knobs for both send and return, but no "mix" knob).

If you're running massive amounts of distortion before the amp (i.e. from pedals hooked up to the amp's input), you will be able to clean the noise generated by the pedals if you stick the Hush right before the amp. But you won't be able to do anything about the noise from the preamp, then.

Also, make sure to insert the Hush before any delay/reverb. That way, you can set the Hush much more tightly to the actual noise level, while still allowing the delay/reverb to trail off naturally.

/Andreas

• Members

well if i put it in the loop, will it work when the loop is not turned on? This is where i get confused. The delay is in the loop and it is only active when i hit the loop button so why would the hush be any different? I am not sure whether the loop is serial or parallel now quite honestly:( ill have to check the manual

• Members

If the loop is off, the stuff in there will not be part of the signal chain. So naturally, you'd have to keep the loop active to let the Hush do its job.

The block diagram in the manual (for the combo versions - that's the one I looked at) shows the loop to be serial. It's easy enough to check, though - switch the delay off (turn its power off or unplug the cables to/from it, leaving them still plugged into the amp) and activate the loop. If you still hear the direct signal, the loop is parallel. If the amp goes silent, the loop is serial.

/Andreas

Archived