Picked up a Pro Jr...

gorebuc

• Members

for $250 new at a local store. Didn't plan on getting a new amp, but blew all of my Christmas money on it. Figured I'd be better off doing that than getting a few more pedals to "enhance" my SS tone. I'm getting used to the nature of tubes, but I like the sounds I'm getting from my Dano pedals into it.

• Members

Originally posted by gorebuc

for $250 new at a local store. Didn't plan on getting a new amp, but blew all of my Christmas money on it. Figured I'd be better off doing that than getting a few more pedals to "enhance" my SS tone. I'm getting used to the nature of tubes, but I like the sounds I'm getting from my Dano pedals into it.

The Pro Junior is a nice little amp for the $. When you're ready to upgrade the tubes, talk to Bob over at eurotubes . He's go a bunch of full retube kits that are a large improvement over the stock tubes.

What Dano pedals are you using with the PJ?

• Members

I remember finding one hidden away under a table at a music store and being blown away (I was looking a ss at the time). I knew they were having a big sale the next day, came back and found they had discounted a Blues Jr into my budget. I went home with the BJr untested thinking it was just a more feature laden Pro. Liked it for a while. but its drawbacks (rubbish OD tone imo, boxyness that cannot be dialed out) make me wonder whether I would've been more happy with the Pro nowdays. Then again I haven't really set the BJr up next to some ss's so it may be just as good.

• Members
Originally posted by Seth Carmody

I remember finding one hidden away under a table at a music store and being blown away (I was looking a ss at the time). I knew they were having a big sale the next day, came back and found they had discounted a Blues Jr into my budget. I went home with the BJr untested thinking it was just a more feature laden Pro. Liked it for a while. but its drawbacks (rubbish OD tone imo, boxyness that cannot be dialed out) make me wonder whether I would've been more happy with the Pro nowdays. Then again I haven't really set the BJr up next to some ss's so it may be just as good.

The pro jr is boxy too, especially through the stock cabinet and speaker. But I like the stripped down PJ better than the BJ. The only downside to it is the noise at idle. But it is like a raw little amp made forty years ago, like a Gibson, Supro, or Montgomery Ward.

The only thing about putting it through a bigger cab is that it doesn't break up as soon and raggedy. That little 10" gives up the goods sooner. :)

• Members

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it. All day long I was thinking it might not have been worth the money...then tonight I tried out my Kustom SS amp...yeah, it was worth the monoey:thu:

Since I'm new to tube amps, I have a few questions.

As far as replacing tubes, when is biasing required. I'd like to try some 12Au7s in the preamp as I see that they give off more clean headroom. Would I have to bias these when changing from 12Ax7's, or is biasing only required when changing from EL84's to something else? This is a whole new world...but I'm loving it!

• Members

As far as replacing tubes, when is biasing required. I'd like to try some 12Au7s in the preamp as I see that they give off more clean headroom. Would I have to bias these when changing from 12Ax7's, or is biasing only required when changing from EL84's to something else? This is a whole new world...but I'm loving it!

Someone more knowledgeable will be able to tell you the correct term, but the Pro Jr is selfbiasing. Experiment away.

• Members

I believe it is fixed bias nonadjustable. It could be modded to be adjustable but I wouldn't worry about it.

Bias is for power tubes (usually in amps that are fixed bias but with a bias pot). You don't have to worry about bias with preamp tubes. As long as they are 12ax7 or similar, it is just a matter of what sounds good to you.

Nor do you have to worry about bias if you get a cathode biased amp like an AC-30. Although your tech might have to worry about it. ;)

The JJ el 84's are nice for the money.

• Members

Cool. Thanks. What I really want to go for is a sound where I can get that barley overdriven tone where I can back off on the guit. volume for a chimey clean at a decent volume. I don't like the sound of the stock 12AX7s past about four, though I haven't really had a place to "air it out" at yet.

• Members

congrats.

I've long been singing the praises of the PJs. I did a full retube and changed the speaker out to a Weber Alnico, did the simple mods listed on the Fender Forum for eliminating the extraneous buzz, and have never been happier.
Sure, it can sound boxy, but trying it through a larger cabinet really opens up your eyes as to how good this little monster can sound. I recorded a lot of my guitar parts on my band,s last album using the PJ, an SD-1, an LTD, and a BiComp.

Definitely do the retube from Eurotube, if you have the scratch.

• Members

Great little amp.
They kick ass for what they are. If you have the hum problem thet is pretty hard to get rid of.
They also have a tendency to rattle a lot due to the speaker being very close to the tubes.
All this aside it is one of the better sounding amps out there at any price Im My Opinion.
The stock tubes seem fine to me ( where as my Blues Jr. only sounded good once I got some JJs in it).
The Pro Jr. is wonderfull for the simple tone stack and it sounds GREAT (also solves a lot of the rattle issues) run through a decent 1x12" cab. Turns it into quite the good amp.
The rattle in mine was hard to deal with no matter what tubes I tried it rattled a lot but had none of the hum of all the previous ones I had tried.
So.... I took the chasis out,took a piece of cardboard a little narrower than the chasis, Folded it in half ( it hangs down about 3 inches past the chasis
to still allow the heat to escape), Put s few paper towels in the fold, Glue sticked and duct taped it into the back of the chasis ( Ihad to put a little notch in the cardboard to allow for the speaker wire). After I did this it removed 90% of the rattles.
It was about 20 minutes worth of work and now I have a little bootique amp that kicks arse and only weighs 22 pounds!!
Congrats on yours and enjoy it.

• Members

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

You'll get a HUGE volume drop with 12AU7s. I set up my Blues Jr as follows 12AV7, 12AX7, 12AV7, extended the clean headroom by a mile (but its by no means a clean amp). 12AY7s would be the next best bet if you can't get 12AV7s.

It's worth experimenting and seeing what you like. I switched the v1 12ax7 to a 12au7 in similar amps (Carvin Nomad and Vintage 16) and love the results for the cleaner headroom. The volume drop has been slight and not been an issue for me.

• Members

Thats what I thought; I'll have to try out some tubes.

This will help with the preamp tubes, a 12AX7 has 100% gain so all you can do from that point is lower your gain :D

12AX7 100% Gain
5751 70% Gain
12AT7 60% Gain
12AY7 45% Gain
12AV7 41% Gain
12AU7 19% Gain

• Members
Originally posted by StratStevo

This will help with the preamp tubes, a 12AX7 has 100% gain so all you can do from that point is lower your gain
:D

12AX7 100% Gain

5751 70% Gain

12AT7 60% Gain

12AY7 45% Gain

12AV7 41% Gain

12AU7 19% Gain

I use a NOS 5751 in mine in the first slot with a 12ax7. It defiunitely tames it quite a bit, but still gets quite a nice growl.

Archived