Is this the same as the Ibanez OD 850?

Bruno

• Members

I;m not totally sure, but it's true that it precedes the 808. This is, however, much more a fuzz than an overdrive, but a very good one ! I love the sound, personally. But this one's overpriced. In Europe, they go for about 140E.

• Members

Originally posted by Godin73

I;m not totally sure, but it's true that it precedes the 808. This is, however, much more a fuzz than an overdrive, but a very good one ! I love the sound, personally. But this one's overpriced. In Europe, they go for about 140E.

Really....can you get your hands on one?

• Members

If i'm not mistaken, the OD-850 is the predecessor of the pedal shown (i have a narrow box orange one that i think is an 850, it just says "Overdrive" on it. It's a lot like a muff soundwise).

The overdrive II is more like a DOD overdrive soundwise.

• Members

Originally posted by Blungo

If i'm not mistaken, the OD-850 is the predecessor of the pedal shown (i have a narrow box orange one that i think is an 850, it just says "Overdrive" on it. It's a lot like a muff soundwise).

The overdrive II is more like a DOD overdrive soundwise.

The orange one is the one that I am looking for....do you want to sell it?

• Members

The three Ibanez overdrives that preceeded the TS-808 are actually all a bit different, and they all have provided bits and pieces of what eventually became the 808.

The OD855 and ODII are both DOD250-style circuits, with a clean op-amp gain stage followed by germanium diodes to ground. The main difference between them is in the tone control section. Both use the 2nd half of the op-amp for the tone, but in different locations. The ODII has the tone control we're used to from the tube screamer - located after the gain and clipping stages, right before the output volume control. This way, it controls the treble content in the distorted signal. But in the OD855 the tone section is placed before both the gain and clipping sections, thus controlling the treble content of the clean guitar signal about to be distorted.

Another difference between the two is that the OD855 has a separate input buffer stage, whereas in the ODII the main op-amp gain stage doubles as its input section. The OD855 also has an output buffer section (the same one as was later used in the TS-808), while in the ODII the signal from the volume control is hooked up directly to the switch and output jack.

The OD850 is a different animal alltogether, sharing only the input and output buffer stages with the OD855. Rather than a single op-amp gain stage with ge diodes to ground (as in the 855 and ODII) or a single op-amp gain stage with silicon diodes in the feedback loop (as in the tube screamer), it has two back-to-back transistor stages with silicon diodes in each feedback loop, and a traditional voltage divider-style tone control.

/Andreas

• Members

Indeed, they are very similar. Add input and output buffer sections to a Big Muff, and you'll essentially have yourself an Ibanez OD850. There might be differences in the amounts of gain available, but the circuits are *very* similar, yes.

/Andreas

• Members

I have the same pedal, love it to death. Notice that this pedal has a balance knob too, later on they called it volume for what I've seen on pictures.

Some time ago I sent it to Keeley to replace the caps, I know he really liked the pedal too.

I wouldn't pay that price though, bought mine for 70 something Euro. :D

• Members

To complicate matters further... there seems to have been two versions of the OD850. The first is the orange narrow pedal with a mechanical stomp switch, and the second was a wider pedal with the same square momentary switch (and, obviously, electronic bypass system) as the 808 had.

Also, the OD855 was called Overdrive II, and it had the electronic bypass system + square momentary switch. But... that "Overdrive II" isn't the same as the older narrow box green Overdrive II (that was in the ebay ad). As mentioned earlier, the narrow box Overdrive II has the tone section after distortion, while the wider box and electronic switching OD855/Overdrive II has the tone control before distortion. If I got all the model designations right - I'm starting to get a headache from all of this... :D

/Andreas

• Members

Originally posted by andreas

Indeed, they are very similar. Add input and output buffer sections to a Big Muff, and you'll essentially have yourself an Ibanez OD850. There might be differences in the amounts of gain available, but the circuits are *very* similar, yes.

/Andreas

Thanks again!

Archived