I got VD! :(

shepherdspy

• Members

Originally posted by shepherdspy

I can't believe how low noise this thing is. I wonder if they snuck a noise gate in there. Anyway it rocks and is fun to play.

+1!

It's the quietest thing in my rig., and I have no idea how they did it. I love it, and I don't know why!

I got it yesterday, and it's already definitely in my rig for a good while. I might replace it with a FZ-2 sometime in the future, but as for now, I'm enjoying it:thu:.

Also, it's much smaller than I thought it would me. I was expecting it to be the same size as the USA version, but it's much smaller. It's cheaper, smaller, and in my opinion better than the USA version.

• Members

It is definitely a muff with a little midscoop and all.

I have had the Green Russian (great), the NYC (didn't like), and the ICBM (great but a little harsh). Also the DOD Classic Fuzz which is close but does its own thing.

The VD-1 is kind of like yet another different version of the muff. Out of the above, it sounds closest to the green Russian but smoother and much less noise. It is less fuzzy and more distortiony. It reminds me of Gilmour. (Note: It does not exactly nail green russian tones, I'm not saying that.) But I have only played it a couple of days so this is just my first impression. I'm a little afraid to step on it, but I had that fear with Dano's and I still haven't broken one of them.

I can't compare it to Skreddy's pedals or vintage muff's because I have not owned any, unfortunately.

You know how some stuff is just easy to play on (ADA MP-1 is a classic example), it is like that.

• Members

How much fuzz/gain/sustain can the VD1 produce? Can it get get you into Stoner Rock territory or is it better suited for mellow, bluesy tones? Is it at all similar to the more "normal" settings of the Zoom UF-01 Ultra Fuzz or Ibanez FZ7 fuzz?

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

How much fuzz/gain/sustain can the VD1 produce? Can it get get you into Stoner Rock territory or is it better suited for mellow, bluesy tones? Is it at all similar to the more "normal" settings of the Zoom UF-01 Ultra Fuzz or Ibanez FZ7 fuzz?

And can someone crack it open so we can take a look?

• Members

VD never looked so good.

jrz4f7.jpg

That little sticker either means keep the beverages away from unit or do not use as coaster, one of those.

jrz4gp.jpg

Oh No! Jack and Coke, the mortal enemy of VD-1. Stay away tasty cold beverage!

jrz4lh.jpg

Sheet metal.

jrz4n6.jpg

[understatement]There's a little extra room inside[/understatement]

jrz4op.jpg

jrz5zt.jpg

surface mount components, jacks and dc in don't look too bad. There is also a filter cap and diode for polarity protection on the dc. Shabby? No, not too shabby. Looks like four transistors and four clipping diodes. Man, those assemblers must have tiny hands to place those components.

jrz61h.jpg

Bad pic but it shows the little 9mm(?) Alps pots.

jrz62q.jpg

Rehouse is possible but it would probably take a 1590 B or BB laid longways, in order to leave the jacks mounted on their board. The only thng that might be a problem is the switch. It is an actuater type, the stompbox looking part of the switch is just a plunger.

Yay. Someone should clone one of these!

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

It's stoner rock matieral. Like Sheperd said, it's like the Green Russian, just with more of a distortion sound than a fuzz. It's not a very bassy pedal, in my opinion. The tone should be around 4-6 (I keep mine at 4). Any less and it gets muddy, any more and it get shrill. All of that aside, it's really cool.

Originally posted by Seth Carmody

I love how they come in bubble packs.

That was one of my favorite parts.

Originally posted by shepherdspy

Rehouse is possible but it would probably take a 1590 B or BB laid longways, in order to leave the jacks mounted on their board. The only thng that might be a problem is the switch. It is an actuater type, the stompbox looking part of the switch is just a plunger.

I was considering putting it into a 125-B enclosure side-ways. The only problem is the knobs, I don't know how to get them off. I might go in there and cut the stems, and then glue some sturdier type of knobs on after I get it into the new enclosure, because the one real downside about this the to me is that the knobs get moved around so easily.

Archived